Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tomato growers

Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey tomatoes:

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is the
one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to have
excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/23/2015 3:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey tomatoes:

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is the
one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to have
excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

And then the newly developed permafrost! And for some reason there
seems to be hundreds of frozen Tootsi-Rolls scattered in the gardens.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My 'maters are about three inches high under a large 500W grow light
in the basement. We're only growing 80 this year, time to slow down a
bit.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm going to try "Mr. Stripey" again this year. It's one hard strain of tomato to grow, but has a better taste than anything I've ever grown. Prone to every tomato disease/blight/rot known from my experience. I'm giving it one more try.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 2/23/2015 3:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey
tomatoes: http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is
the one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to
have excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

And then the newly developed permafrost! And for some reason there
seems to be hundreds of frozen Tootsi-Rolls scattered in the gardens.

That's a little late for some of us ... I've got almost 50 tomato
seedlings , planted back on Jan 24th . Some are over 6" tall now , in a
couple more weeks they'll go out into the hotbox/greenhouse I'm building
onto the side of the house . The plan is to get a good headstart , by last
frost in mid-April I'll have plants a foot tall and hardened off .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got Fusarium Wilt in my area. I have yet to find a variety that doesn't
succumb to it.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:50:52 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey tomatoes:

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is the
one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to have
excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

--
Boris

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:48:59 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My 'maters are about three inches high under a large 500W grow light
in the basement. We're only growing 80 this year, time to slow down a
bit.

Silly person. 500W?
Why haven't you moved to fluor or LED grow lights yet?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:36:13 -0500, Boris Mohar
wrote:

I got Fusarium Wilt in my area. I have yet to find a variety that doesn't
succumb to it.

That's a nasty one. Did you try varieties that are said to be
resistant, or did you just try standard ones?

Amelia and BHN 602 are supposed to be among the most resistant. I've
never heard of BHN 602, but Amelia is popular around here.

--
Ed Huntress

wrote:

Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey tomatoes:

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is the
one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to have
excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My 'maters are about three inches high under a large 500W grow light
in the basement. We're only growing 80 this year, time to slow down a
bit.

Silly person. 500W?
Why haven't you moved to fluor or LED grow lights yet?

I moved away from flouresent because you can not get enough light
intensity like you can with the high pressure sodium. haven't look at
LED, bet it would cost a small fortune.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got Fusarium Wilt in my area. I have yet to find a variety that doesn't
succumb to it.

That's a nasty one. Did you try varieties that are said to be
resistant, or did you just try standard ones?

Amelia and BHN 602 are supposed to be among the most resistant. I've
never heard of BHN 602, but Amelia is popular around here.

Correction: That isn't Amelia that's popular here. It's Amarillo,
which won a local county taste contest for the past couple of years.

I don't know anything about Amelia, either, but it's supposed to be
very disease resistant, including all three types of Fusarium, and it
does well in the Southeast.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey tomatoes:

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is the
one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to have
excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

================
Thread hi-jack alert

Anybody here into hydroponics?

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:10:51 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

=================

Limited space and new at this, but started 4 tomato plants
15 Dec. hydroponically. The two Belgian giants are now
over 31" tall, the Carbon black over 18" and the Costoluto
Genovese (heirloom Italian) about 16". White hab and Thai
peppers are also doing well.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to know
that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey tomatoes:

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is the
one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to have
excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow melts.

================
Thread hi-jack alert

Anybody here into hydroponics?

Winston was (the other Winston). I haven't seen him for a year or
more.

--
Ed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My 'maters are about three inches high under a large 500W grow light
in the basement. We're only growing 80 this year, time to slow down a
bit.

Silly person. 500W?
Why haven't you moved to fluor or LED grow lights yet?

for E27 PAR led lamps see
http://tinyurl.com/nuov97q
direct china ship. bought several times from this vendor
with good results.

if you have fluroscent fixture available see
http://tinyurl.com/ln3wc2p
never dealt with this vendor, but available from others.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

My Serrano and bell peppers are doing nicely , the Anaheims and Jalapenos
didn't sprout in 3 weeks so I reseeded them . I never did get Anaheims to
germinate last year ... I really want to grow some of these for Chili
Rellenos ... got a couple of good recipes for filling .
This years tomatoes are mostly San Marzano for sauces and salsa , a few
each of Roma , Mortgage Lifter , Beefsteak , and some mutt cherry tomatoes .
The Roma and the mutts are from saved seed , the rest are all purchased -
and all heirloom , I'll be saving seeds again . Over half of my garden this
year will be saved seed from previous years' crops .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/24/2015 4:05 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:

Limited space and new at this, but started 4 tomato plants
15 Dec. hydroponically. The two Belgian giants are now
over 31" tall, the Carbon black over 18" and the Costoluto
Genovese (heirloom Italian) about 16". White hab and Thai
peppers are also doing well.

Have you had a visit from the DEA yet? They tend to pay close attention
to people buying hydroponic systems.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:24:09 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

My Serrano and bell peppers are doing nicely , the Anaheims and Jalapenos
didn't sprout in 3 weeks so I reseeded them . I never did get Anaheims to
germinate last year ...

I had good luck using the Gro-Dan rock wool starter cubes
http://tinyurl.com/opwexvo in plastic cups in a small
walmart bin with a snap on lid covered with a towel to
retain more heat over a seed warming pad. One trick [which
I have not had to use yet] is to soak the seeds 4 hrs to
overnight in a 1 to 5% potassium nitrate solution to
simulate passing through a bird's digestive system, which is
how the seeds are supposed to be dispersed in nature.
see http://tinyurl.com/m74fsrf

You might want to try http://tinyurl.com/kw2famh

This years tomatoes are mostly San Marzano for sauces and salsa , a few
each of Roma , Mortgage Lifter , Beefsteak , and some mutt cherry tomatoes .
The Roma and the mutts are from saved seed , the rest are all purchased -
and all heirloom , I'll be saving seeds again . Over half of my garden this
year will be saved seed from previous years' crops .

Good Luck!

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:41:51 -0600, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 2/24/2015 4:05 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:

Limited space and new at this, but started 4 tomato plants
15 Dec. hydroponically. The two Belgian giants are now
over 31" tall, the Carbon black over 18" and the Costoluto
Genovese (heirloom Italian) about 16". White hab and Thai
peppers are also doing well.

Have you had a visit from the DEA yet? They tend to pay close attention
to people buying hydroponic systems.

David

===============

Didn't buy a "system," although in retrospect it would have
been cheaper. Bought the bits and pieces as I needed them.
Biggest cost is the lights and you can piecemeal that if
desired, adding lights as the plants grow.

While I am growing on a limited tabletop indoors,
hydroponics looks like the "wave of the future" for many
outdoor crops as it uses between 5 and 10% of the water and
recycles most of the nutrients / fertilizers, minimizing
costs and run-off, in addition to eliminating large amounts
of hand labor, e. g. weeding, soil prep, etc.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My 'maters are about three inches high under a large 500W grow light
in the basement. We're only growing 80 this year, time to slow down a
bit.

Silly person. 500W?
Why haven't you moved to fluor or LED grow lights yet?

I moved away from flouresent because you can not get enough light
intensity like you can with the high pressure sodium.

Jeeze, what are you going for? 100,000 lm/mm2?

haven't look at LED, bet it would cost a small fortune.

From US builders, yes. They're ripping us off entirely. Chiwanese
imports are considerably cheaper, though. Search eBay for "full
spectrum LED" or "grow LED". They abound. Just beware the higher
density lamps. Heat kills them far too quickly. Some of them use
dual wavelength (both red and blue, 660/445nm) LEDs for their grow
lights, others use a more pure white light. I don't know which works
better.

Here's a high-watt LED for a penny: http://tinyurl.com/oyx2gte

This just in: Charge your phone with a fuel cell?
http://tinyurl.com/nqydpeg thud

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I moved away from flouresent because you can not get enough light
intensity like you can with the high pressure sodium.

Jeeze, what are you going for? 100,000 lm/mm2?

I tired to find numbers for intensity to compare to LED, no joy.

This grow light is about the same as the high pressure sodium street
lights you've seen. You can tell a sodium light by the orange hue.

Standard trick for nursery plants, extreme light intensity, cool air,
and a fan makes for a short stocky hardy plant. Not that leggy ****e
you see at your wally world spring plant sale.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 18:42:25 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I moved away from flouresent because you can not get enough light
intensity like you can with the high pressure sodium.

Jeeze, what are you going for? 100,000 lm/mm2?

I tired to find numbers for intensity to compare to LED, no joy.

Try wiki "grow light".

This grow light is about the same as the high pressure sodium street
lights you've seen. You can tell a sodium light by the orange hue.

Icky color.

Standard trick for nursery plants, extreme light intensity, cool air,
and a fan makes for a short stocky hardy plant. Not that leggy ****e
you see at your wally world spring plant sale.

Yeah, that crap keels over in a drizzle and/or breeze.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got Fusarium Wilt in my area. I have yet to find a variety that doesn't
succumb to it.

That's a nasty one. Did you try varieties that are said to be
resistant, or did you just try standard ones?

Amelia and BHN 602 are supposed to be among the most resistant. I've
never heard of BHN 602, but Amelia is popular around here.

I tried all that claim to be resistant without much success. It strikes just
as the first fruit is about to ripen. I will look for Amarillo.

--
Boris

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got Fusarium Wilt in my area. I have yet to find a variety that doesn't
succumb to it.

That's a nasty one. Did you try varieties that are said to be
resistant, or did you just try standard ones?

Amelia and BHN 602 are supposed to be among the most resistant. I've
never heard of BHN 602, but Amelia is popular around here.

I tried all that claim to be resistant without much success. It strikes just
as the first fruit is about to ripen. I will look for Amarillo.

I'm afraid that my naming error has complicated things. Amelia is the
one that is claimed to be very disease-resistant. Amarillo is the one
that won a local taste test. It's a largish cherry tomato. I don't
know how disease-resistant it is.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Karl Townsend
wrote:

I moved away from flouresent because you can not get enough light
intensity like you can with the high pressure sodium.

Jeeze, what are you going for? 100,000 lm/mm2?

I tired to find numbers for intensity to compare to LED, no joy.

This grow light is about the same as the high pressure sodium street
lights you've seen. You can tell a sodium light by the orange hue.

Well, it depends on the pressure. Low-pressure Sodium lamps are
yellow, not orange. One sees these lights a lot.

I also recall people using sodium-calcium many decades back - these had
an orangish color. This may have been the original Lucalox design.

For the intensity level you are looking for, and efficiency, it would
be hard to beat high pressure sodium. LEDs just aren't there yet.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For the intensity level you are looking for, and efficiency, it would
be hard to beat high pressure sodium. LEDs just aren't there yet.

Joe Gwinn

I just spend the day yesterday doubling up. We built a real nice grow
area over the water pressure tanks in the corner of the basement. Now
have two high pressure sodium lights for a 6' x 4' grow area. I'd
guess double the light intesity of mid day summer sun.

Got Milday a water wand and I'm going to set up a sump pump to pump
water through a hose for watering. hard for her to reach all the way
to water the plants in back.

Note: we don't use well water for the plants. They know its not as
good as snow melt or fresh rain water caught in the downspout.

We been at this grow your own plants 30 years now, still finding ways
to do it just a bit better.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 06:19:44 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

For the intensity level you are looking for, and efficiency, it would
be hard to beat high pressure sodium. LEDs just aren't there yet.

Joe Gwinn

I just spend the day yesterday doubling up. We built a real nice grow
area over the water pressure tanks in the corner of the basement. Now
have two high pressure sodium lights for a 6' x 4' grow area. I'd
guess double the light intesity of mid day summer sun.

Yeah, you wanted a gazillion lumens per micrometer, alright. shakes
head and gives a silly grin Whatever you do, DON'T tell the
insurance guy. And give those poor sprouts some SPF 75, will ya?

Got Milday a water wand and I'm going to set up a sump pump to pump
water through a hose for watering. hard for her to reach all the way
to water the plants in back.

What? You don't have a recirculating drip system installed yet?

Note: we don't use well water for the plants. They know its not as
good as snow melt or fresh rain water caught in the downspout.

Either/or for me. Good water is good water.

We been at this grow your own plants 30 years now, still finding ways
to do it just a bit better.

That's always a great idea. Carry on!

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we
hereby declare that we are unalterably opposed to any program
which would entail the surrender of any part of the sovereignty
of the United States of America in favor of a world government.

--Veterans of Foreign Wars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now the electric company will turn you in for growing POT!

They got after me after I brought home Dad's metal lathe
and I got a mill. The electric bill shot up and the
power company called if they could come to test our meter... Ha!

That was in Kalifornia if you know what I mean...

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 22:07:46 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Now the electric company will turn you in for growing POT!

They got after me after I brought home Dad's metal lathe
and I got a mill. The electric bill shot up and the
power company called if they could come to test our meter... Ha!

That was in Kalifornia if you know what I mean...

Martin

Drought in 1990...

I installed a large well and 15Hp irrigation pump.

REA called and asked to come check things out because there was no way
the meter was working right.

BTW, the best info on indoor growing comes from pot growers. They are
very serious about perfecting growing conditions.

Karl

Tomato deluge Tom Gardner[_27_] Metalworking 159 October 15th 14 01:27 AM
Tomato cages ransley Home Repair 24 July 17th 10 04:36 PM
Some say tomato Smitty Two Home Repair 9 April 27th 10 05:08 AM
An end to thermal image detection of grass growers? Grimly Curmudgeon UK diy 8 January 29th 10 12:00 PM
Any northern fig growers here? John Bachman Electronics Repair 2 January 17th 05 06:57 PM