Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tomato growers

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:10:51 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 2/23/2015 3:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Since we have a few serious tomato growers here, you may want to
know that it's seed-buying time at Rutgers for classic New Jersey
tomatoes: http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

These are F1 hybrids and you won't find them in seed stores. I've
grown the Ramapos, and they're excellent. Cambell's 146 (KC146) is
the one you ate in Cambell's tomato soup as a kid. It's claimed to
have excellent flavor as a table tomato, too.

'Time to start digging the garden...well, as soon as the snow
melts.

And then the newly developed permafrost! And for some reason there
seems to be hundreds of frozen Tootsi-Rolls scattered in the
gardens.

That's a little late for some of us ... I've got almost 50 tomato
seedlings , planted back on Jan 24th . Some are over 6" tall now ,
in a couple more weeks they'll go out into the hotbox/greenhouse I'm
building onto the side of the house . The plan is to get a good
headstart , by last frost in mid-April I'll have plants a foot tall
and hardened off . =================

Limited space and new at this, but started 4 tomato plants
15 Dec. hydroponically. The two Belgian giants are now
over 31" tall, the Carbon black over 18" and the Costoluto
Genovese (heirloom Italian) about 16". White hab and Thai
peppers are also doing well.

My Serrano and bell peppers are doing nicely , the Anaheims and Jalapenos
didn't sprout in 3 weeks so I reseeded them . I never did get Anaheims to
germinate last year ... I really want to grow some of these for Chili
Rellenos ... got a couple of good recipes for filling .
This years tomatoes are mostly San Marzano for sauces and salsa , a few
each of Roma , Mortgage Lifter , Beefsteak , and some mutt cherry tomatoes .
The Roma and the mutts are from saved seed , the rest are all purchased -
and all heirloom , I'll be saving seeds again . Over half of my garden this
year will be saved seed from previous years' crops .
--
Snag