Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Controlling heating elements in a heat tunnel

I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/6/2014 10:17 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Oh, there won't be any bristles in the brush at the time of the bend.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Quote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

On 6/6/2014 10:17 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Oh, there won't be any bristles in the brush at the time of the bend.
Put a hole in the side or top of an oven and just stick the bristle end
inside. It looks thicker where the bristles will go, so the handle will
soften first. Pick a temperature somewhat above the softening temp of the
plastic, then experiment with how long to leave it in the heat before you
pull it out and bend it. Use an air blast or even a water spray to quench
after the bend to freeze it into shape faster. Anything from a toaster oven
to a surplus home oven depending on how hot and how many you want to heat at
once. Convection oven would be even better, more uniform and faster
heating. Or make a hinged heated block kind of like a waffle maker, with a
channel where you want the bend. Open, insert, close, count to ten, open,
remove, bend, quench. For that matter, dig out the waffle maker you have
somewhere in a cabinet and never use, and modify that :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 22:17:49 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

I wonder if one of the flexible acrylic bending heat strips would work
for you. What temperature are you after? From what plastic are the
handles made?

What kind of speed/daily qty are you looking for? That might drive
answers more into the realm of your wishlist.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07-Jun-14 10:17 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Would directed hot air be quicker?

Might be easier to generate & control too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 22:17:49 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

If 212 degrees does it, I'd use boiling water, your choice of heater.
water transfers heat 50X faster than air.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating
elements from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever
I can control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf.
Any suggestions?

Amazon sells temperature controllers at a hobbyist price (and
quality??).
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=306533011

I heven't tried them, my collection is pre-owned Omron and Omega.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 22:17:49 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Lots of that stuff out there

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gardner-Be...5-1.5/15719869
http://www.pvcbendit.com/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bend...cause-you-can/

http://www.pvcworkshop.com/bendpipe.htm
http://www.hotbend.com/

etc etc

I do work in a lot of shops that bend plastic.......they make a form
to shape, and then it it with a heat gun. Paint stripper electric
gizmo and let it form to the form G

Something I didnt know..guy sent me this link some time back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-07, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

I would use a stream of hot water. This is probably your cheapest
solution and something that is safe and has no fire or environmental
concerns. You would obviously recirculate the water.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Well for repeatability I'd opt for simplicity. Make up 2-3 removable
forms using some light steel. U shaped channel with a pin to go through
the hole. At the point you need the bend, bend the sheet metal to the
correct angle.
For the bending, use two heat guns with heat directors to spread the
heat around the handle in the area of the bend.

Connect the guns up to a simple speed controller so you can control the
heat.

In use the handle gets stuck in the form, form and handle go into air
blast between guns. Heat softens the plastic enough that it bends down
to match the form. Once it bends into place the operator pulls the
form/handle out of the blast and sets it onto a cooling rack. Then it's
simply a matter of repeating the process as needed.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kennedy" wrote in message
. au...
On 07-Jun-14 10:17 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Would directed hot air be quicker?

Might be easier to generate & control too.

+1
I've used a heat gun on old toothbrushes and kitchen brushes to make
bends for cleaning inaccessable places many times.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2014 12:42 AM, Carl Ijames wrote:
[...]

Not MY waffle maker! It gets used at least once a month. I have a
great recipe for waffles with flavor and just the right texture. But
maybe a trip to Salvation Army...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2014 1:10 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

New product, don't know. They are PVC...I think.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2014 3:46 AM, Kennedy wrote:
On 07-Jun-14 10:17 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Would directed hot air be quicker?

Might be easier to generate & control too.

Yep, used a heat gun for prototypes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2014 8:22 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating
elements from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever
I can control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf.
Any suggestions?

Amazon sells temperature controllers at a hobbyist price (and
quality??).
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=306533011

I heven't tried them, my collection is pre-owned Omron and Omega.
-jsw

Well, ****...there they are. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2014 4:06 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

And the recipe is....... G

share please.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 16:07:56 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Unlikely, but possible, I guess.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
-- Freeman Dyson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 16:09:04 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 6/7/2014 3:46 AM, Kennedy wrote:
On 07-Jun-14 10:17 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Would directed hot air be quicker?

Might be easier to generate & control too.

Yep, used a heat gun for prototypes.

I recycle all my old toothbrushes into crevice brushes by bending an
angle on the whole head or half the bristles. My trusty HF butane
torch leaves a nice black residue on them. That's why I didn't
suggest it for your use, Tawm.

A heat gun and a spinner, then a jiggy rack to lay them on at the
right angles, might be the ticket.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
-- Freeman Dyson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2014 1:24 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

You make it sound so simple....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Could be. I've bent some plastics over the years...

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I had to do 5 samples today, they took 3 minutes apiece to heat with my
good heat gun. I can see how to do it better now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Make up a U shaped deflector to contain and direct the heat. One gun
feeding from each side OR if you don't want hot air grab some nextflex
heating element, Bend it into a series of U shapes with guards and use
that.

http://www.nexthermal.com/product/nextflex.aspx

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message

I had to do 5 samples today, they took 3 minutes apiece to heat with
my good heat gun. I can see how to do it better now.

I just heated a 1/4" spot on a black plastic brush handle
molten/smoking hot in less than a minute with a 50W Halogen reflector
bulb, a Sylvania PAR20. There's a focal point less than an inch from
the face.
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-14700.../dp/B000KKJXP8

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Ive got one of the heat shrink adapters for one of my heat
guns..nothing more than a bent "tubey thingy" that wraps around the
part
Works well enough for bending the few pieces of plastic Ive had to do.

Then of course there was the time the plastic caught fire...but that
doesnt count..right?

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 06:33:02 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 22:17:49 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

If 212 degrees does it, I'd use boiling water, your choice of heater.
water transfers heat 50X faster than air.

Karl

If 212 degrees (F) isn't enough, you could use molten metal in a
temperature-controlled pot. There are several metals (e.g.
Cerro-bend, Cerro-safe) that melt below 212F. They contain no lead
so they're not hazardous.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dforeman fired this volley in
:

They contain no lead
so they're not hazardous.

And often cadmium, which is. There is mostly tin and bismuth in there, but
there are other metals in there to tune the melting point; some are toxic
to a high degree.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First, let me say that I told ya wrong: some of these low melting
point alloys really do contain lead, cadmium or both.

That said, there are low melting point alloys that contain neither
lead nor cadmium, for those who have particular sensitivity to or
fear of those elements. Please see, e.g.,
http://www.csalloys.com/specifications.html

Regard, please, that at these low temperatures the vapor pressures of
lead and cadmium are miniscule compared to what they'd be at even
soldering temperatures -- and I think Tawm would responsibly provide
ventilation in an industrial setting to meet OSHA requirements and
otherwise operate responsibly.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:02:14 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

dforeman fired this volley in
:

They contain no lead
so they're not hazardous.

And often cadmium, which is. There is mostly tin and bismuth in there, but
there are other metals in there to tune the melting point; some are toxic
to a high degree.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman fired this volley in
:

lead and cadmium are miniscule compared to what they'd be at even
soldering temperatures -- and I think Tawm would responsibly provide
ventilation in an industrial setting to meet OSHA requirements and
otherwise operate responsibly.

Yep. I was mentioning that because they are also hand-to-mouth ingestion
hazards. One needs to work clean. CerroTru contains neither, but doesn't
melt at as quite a low temp as some of the others.
Lloyd