Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Controlling heating elements in a heat tunnel

On 6/7/2014 4:06 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/7/2014 12:42 AM, Carl Ijames wrote:
Quote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

On 6/6/2014 10:17 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I need to build a method of heating part of a plastic handle, kinda'
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Brush-U.../dp/B006GP591I

I need to bend it 20 degrees at the neck. I have a few heating elements
from water heaters or I'll buy the best candidate, whatever I can
control. Or, I'd buy the hole kit-n-ca-bootle off the shelf. Any
suggestions?

Oh, there won't be any bristles in the brush at the time of the bend.

Put a hole in the side or top of an oven and just stick the bristle end
inside. It looks thicker where the bristles will go, so the handle will
soften first. Pick a temperature somewhat above the softening temp of
the
plastic, then experiment with how long to leave it in the heat before you
pull it out and bend it. Use an air blast or even a water spray to
quench
after the bend to freeze it into shape faster. Anything from a
toaster oven
to a surplus home oven depending on how hot and how many you want to
heat at
once. Convection oven would be even better, more uniform and faster
heating. Or make a hinged heated block kind of like a waffle maker,
with a
channel where you want the bend. Open, insert, close, count to ten,
open,
remove, bend, quench. For that matter, dig out the waffle maker you have
somewhere in a cabinet and never use, and modify that :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Not MY waffle maker! It gets used at least once a month. I have a
great recipe for waffles with flavor and just the right texture. But
maybe a trip to Salvation Army...

And the recipe is....... G

share please.