Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default How to locate ceiling heat elements?

Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know
a method for locating the elements.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know
a method for locating the elements.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jon

There are inexpensive stud finders that will locate metallic objects.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Aug 10, 9:59�pm, "Raymond J. Johnson Jr."
wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know
a method for locating the elements.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jon

There are inexpensive stud finders that will locate metallic objects.

or use a laser pointer heat gun, turn heat on, find and mark hot
areas.

cooler areas will be safe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to
know a method for locating the elements.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jon

I think that your best bet is thermo imaging. There are a number of methods
and devices to do this and some are pricey. I don't know if rental is an
option. There are companies that do this and can provide photographs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 7:22�am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to
know a method for locating the elements.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jon

I think that your best bet is thermo imaging. �There are a number of methods
and devices to do this and some are pricey. �I don't know if rental is an
option. �There are companies that do this and can provide photographs.

harbor freight has a 20 buck laser pointer thermoter. cant get much
cheaper than that.

it shows exact hot spots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turn on the heat, then use a spray bottle with water to mist the area you
want to check.
it will dry quickest by the elements.

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to
know a method for locating the elements.

Thanks for any help with this,

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:23:32 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know
a method for locating the elements.

What about one of the little proximity testers for electricity? Turn
the thing on and see if you get a pitch change near the wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with
ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).

As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know
a method for locating the elements.

What about one of the little proximity testers for electricity? Turn
the thing on and see if you get a pitch change near the wire.

Nobody else asked, so I will- what do you need to drill all the holes
for? You know you can't hang anything large from the ceiling, or you
will get a cold spot underneath it? (I know, not supposed to happen,
but I hung out a lot in a house that had ceiling heat, and it was
noticeably cooler under the dining table.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 10:03*am, "m j d" wrote:
Turn on the heat, then use a spray bottle with water to mist the area you
want to check.
it will dry quickest by the elements.

I use that technique when locating radiant heating elements in tile
floors. Works well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to aemeijers, luna wrote:
I'm hanging a canopy curtain around our bed and need I have the same issue.
Fortunately I just bought Mr. A laser thermometer for Xmas and that is a
genius idea. Also have a hanging light I want to install. Neither of these
things will effect the heat underneath. I'm glad I ran into this thread. I was
bout to use command hooks, but I'd have to scrape the gross texture off the
ceiling fist.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-324408-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to luna, Elle wrote:
thermo imaging

Did you have any luck with the laser thermometer?? I tried that with my
husbands but didn't seem to be accurate enough.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-324408-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to luna, Steph Moss wrote:
Hey! I was googling to find some answers for my issue and stumbled upon this.
I too have textured ceilings with radiant heat coils in the ceiling. I also
want to hang divider curtains between our bed and babys bed but need help.
Can you let me know how your project turned out?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-324408-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2019 4:14 PM, Steph Moss wrote:
replying to luna, Steph Moss wrote:
Hey! I was googling to find some answers for my issue and stumbled upon this.
I too have textured ceilings with radiant heat coils in the ceiling. I also
want to hang divider curtains between our bed and babys bed but need help.
Can you let me know how your project turned out?

Will the curtain be soundproof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steph Moss, Rick Smith wrote:
Best way I have found and have not had any problems on several jobs is to use
a quality inductive chirping electrical tester.. First go in attic and find a
connector wire with the thermostat a full high on panel and verify you get a
chirp there, then just simply go over the surface with the tester and find the
wire tracings.. Finally verify you have to positive chirping in area you want
to drill in and go for it.. You won t have any issues that way/ Just take your
time and verify it a few times just to be sure.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-324408-.htm