Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oddest story of the year.

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29935" wrote in message
Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Nice score Ig. Have a good xmas.

JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29935 wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Iggy, only you could manage to profit from people illegally dumping
garbage on your property. The rest of us would end up with some sort of
hazmat incident and be on the national news...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-24, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus29935 wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Iggy, only you could manage to profit from people illegally dumping
garbage on your property. The rest of us would end up with some sort of
hazmat incident and be on the national news...

That's what I keep telling my guys, make sure that your name does not
appear in newspapers...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 10:19:07 -0600, Ignoramus29935
wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Lemons out of lemonade. I love it! Good save, Ig. Mele Kalikimaka.

--
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
it takes away today's peace. --Lifehack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Bravo! Turning Trash into Cash!!

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Bravo! Turning Trash into Cash!!

Thanks. It could be worse. At the same time,I am a little sad. The
parent had so much fun makng stained glass windows, and the kids had
not even a clue that the stained glass supplies were valuable. A very
sad end of a hobby. Not exactly metalworking, but nevertheless it is a
little unpleasant. The kids are real assholes, dumping trash on others'
property and completely ignorant of the parent, their hobbies, what is
worth what etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which is one of the reasons I have little respect for kids in
general..and I place those up to their 40s in many cases..in the Kids
Catagory.

And of course..you live in a Democrat State..so that means they are
mentally ill as well.

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Iggy,

Jeeezzzz..be careful. A few guys here already think you sell garbage
on Ebay !!! Don't get them started !!!!!!

Take care.

Merry Christmas.

Brian Lawson.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus29935 wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Iggy, only you could manage to profit from people illegally dumping
garbage on your property. The rest of us would end up with some sort of
hazmat incident and be on the national news...

YES!!! Stuff just FALLS into his lap! He obviously is
doing SOMETHING right - karma or whatever!

A merry Christmas to Iggy and all the rest of you guys,
TOO!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When the locusts start raining down from the sky, I want to be standing next
to Iggy :-). He'll be holding an open bowl of chocolate icing and will
immediately start selling chocolate-covered locusts :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Pete C." wrote in message ...

Ignoramus29935 wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Iggy, only you could manage to profit from people illegally dumping
garbage on your property. The rest of us would end up with some sort of
hazmat incident and be on the national news...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's really sad for the dead parents, too. They probably knew
how far their kids had fallen before they passed away. Sickening.
I'm glad you were able to salvage some from it and recycle it back
into the U.S. economy. Every bit helps.

--
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
it takes away today's peace. --Lifehack
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/24/2013 08:19 AM, Ignoramus29935 wrote:
Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my
warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for
disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I
guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was
cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and
accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained
glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for
$150.

Well you know what they say, one man's trash is another mans treasure.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oddest story of the year. Mine's odder

A couple of weeks ago I had a table at a local gun show. On our rifle
rack, I had an 8mm Egyptian contract FN49. A gentleman was looking at it
so I asked him if he had any questions. He replied that he had had one a
long while ago, but he sold it and later regretted doing so.

Then he looked at me and said he had sold it to me.

I asked if he had sold it in a Menard's parking lot near Barker Road
about 20 years ago.

He had.

I had paid $300 for it and thought it was worth it. Later, I found a
better one and sold the first for $400 to my friend Shawn, who was also
at the table.

Shawn piped up that he had brought it to the show to sell.

So the gentleman bought back the rifle for $475 (currently a VERY good
price) he had regretted selling so long ago.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On 2013-12-25, Jon Danniken wrote:

On 12/24/2013 08:19 AM, Ignoramus29935 wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my

warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for

disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I

guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was

cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and

accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained

glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for

$150.

Well you know what they say, one man's trash is another mans treasure.

Good job Ig. I think the "luck" here is that Iggy can recognize value that others don't see. Almost everything has a value to someone else, if you can identify the thing(s) properly.
I bought a pallet of "junk" at an online auction a few weeks ago. I bid on it mostly because it had a bunch of 5C collets. they were gold-colored so I assumed they were those plated SB collets. Plus there were some toolholders and other stuff. I knew I had overbid it at $130. Especially when I got it home and found all the collets had been machined.
Turned out they are brass 5C emergency collets. So far I have sold $700 worth of them and still have a third of them left. There were also a couple of shaper toolholders, worth the price of the pallet by themselves. A couple of years ago I would not have recognized them for shaper tools.
Similarly, Mom has an ugly tea set made of amber glass. She couldn't sell them at a garage sale. I did some quick research and found people collect that stuff, and will pay hundreds for her complete set.

the secret to making silk purses is finding someone who values sow's ears. These days that is much easier.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-25, Jon Danniken wrote:

[...]

I worked part time t a TV shop while in Jr. High. They owner gave me
the B&W trade ins, and delivered them to my house. I would clean them
up a little, and sell them to the kids at school. I made a lot more
from selling used TVs than from repairing them for customers. That was
almost 50 years ago.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-27, Rex wrote:

Good job Ig. I think the "luck" here is that Iggy can recognize
value that others don't see. Almost everything has a value to
someone else, if you can identify the thing(s) properly.

Very true.

I bought a pallet of "junk" at an online auction a few weeks ago. I
bid on it mostly because it had a bunch of 5C collets. they were
gold-colored so I assumed they were those plated SB collets. Plus
there were some toolholders and other stuff. I knew I had overbid
it at $130. Especially when I got it home and found all the collets
had been machined. Turned out they are brass 5C emergency
collets. So far I have sold $700 worth of them and still have a
third of them left. There were also a couple of shaper toolholders,
worth the price of the pallet by themselves. A couple of years ago I
would not have recognized them for shaper tools.

A lot of those "who knows what" pallet lots and "contents of cabinet"
lots, have hidden treasures in them. Not all, but most. The key
questions to ask are

1) Do they come from a place with big budget
2) Was there any smart self interested person who may have picked the
good stuff.