Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Oddest story of the year.

On 2013-12-25, Jon Danniken wrote:

On 12/24/2013 08:19 AM, Ignoramus29935 wrote:

Last summer, someone dumped garbage in the back yard of my

warehouse. I am sure that whoever did it, did it to not pay for

disposal. It was non-food garbage,fortunately. As I was cleaning it, I

guessed that it belonged to a deceased person whose house probably was

cleaned up by their children.

Pretty boring so far.

As I was cleaning up, I noticed a bunch of solder spools and

accessories for making stained glass windows. (and lots of stained

glass pieces).

I put up that stuff on ebay as one lot and it sold yesterday for

$150.

Well you know what they say, one man's trash is another mans treasure.

Good job Ig. I think the "luck" here is that Iggy can recognize value that others don't see. Almost everything has a value to someone else, if you can identify the thing(s) properly.
I bought a pallet of "junk" at an online auction a few weeks ago. I bid on it mostly because it had a bunch of 5C collets. they were gold-colored so I assumed they were those plated SB collets. Plus there were some toolholders and other stuff. I knew I had overbid it at $130. Especially when I got it home and found all the collets had been machined.
Turned out they are brass 5C emergency collets. So far I have sold $700 worth of them and still have a third of them left. There were also a couple of shaper toolholders, worth the price of the pallet by themselves. A couple of years ago I would not have recognized them for shaper tools.
Similarly, Mom has an ugly tea set made of amber glass. She couldn't sell them at a garage sale. I did some quick research and found people collect that stuff, and will pay hundreds for her complete set.

the secret to making silk purses is finding someone who values sow's ears. These days that is much easier.