B.B.

Default Oddest thing in your toolbox?

Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Gary Brady

B.B. wrote:
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

Toilet wax ring. Good for lubricating screws going into wood.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
TT

Silly putty is also good for sizing bolts, nuts, screws, hex, allen type
heads and taking back to your tool chest to get the right size. Just use the
SP to make a mold of the bolt/nut/screw.

-Tom

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:09:11 +1000, the renowned "Tom Miller"
wrote:

Toilet wax ring? what's that?

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/b...ng/replace.htm

Cheap- about $1 US.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Lew Hartswick

Ignoramus31514 wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:35:29 GMT, Gary Brady wrote:

B.B. wrote:

Toilet wax ring. Good for lubricating screws going into wood.

regular soap bars also work quite well...

You shouldnt use soap, it will "draw" moisture and rust steel screws.
It will probably discolor wood also. Beeswax or parafin is safer.
...lew...
Larry Jaques

On 24 Apr 2005 04:21:50 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus31514
spake:

B.B. wrote:
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

Toilet wax ring. Good for lubricating screws going into wood.

regular soap bars also work quite well...

Soap is hydrophilic (absorbs moisture) and can corrode or rust the
hardware (as well as making your project smell like your bathroom.)

Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services
There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com
Glenn Ashmore

A tube of K-Y jelly. Great for lubricating heavy walled hose so it slips
onto the barb easier.

But it gets some really strange looks from visitors to the boat shed.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

And I thought it was what you brought with you to the marine supply!

Tom Gardner

When are we going sailing?

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
newsgNae.33638$Zr.4592@lakeread08...
A tube of K-Y jelly. Great for lubricating heavy walled hose so it slips
onto the barb easier.

But it gets some really strange looks from visitors to the boat shed.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"B.B." u wrote in
message
news
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Bruce Spainhower

Try Dow High-Vacuum Grease instead. I keep it around for the vacuum work, but
it's perfect for any application where you can't use petroleum-based grease
(plastics, rubber, etc.). It's a must-have for o-ring assemblies in
everything from underwater cameras to the kitchen sink:
http://tinyurl.com/8dwbw

- Bruce

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in newsgNae.33638$Zr.4592
@lakeread08:

A tube of K-Y jelly. Great for lubricating heavy walled hose so it slips
onto the barb easier.

But it gets some really strange looks from visitors to the boat shed.

GrumpyOldGeek

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
A tube of K-Y jelly. Great for lubricating heavy walled hose so it slips
onto the barb easier.

And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide
new grips on my motorcycle handlebars...
Dev Null

"B.B." u wrote
in
news
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized
metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a
mustard bottle full of bearing grease.

Sterile syringes with hypodermic needles?

jim rozen

In article , B.B.
says...

Depends on the toolbox - at work, one of them has ping-pong balls in it.

I spent a lot of time down at Brookhaven Labs once, and you had to have
your own for the table they had in one of the rec areas.

At home, it would be the stack of outdated badges for different places
I've worked. Can hardly recognize the guy on some of them...

Jim

please reply to:
Charles Morrill

An old lead souvenir of the Statue of Liberty - perhaps from
around the time when it first opened. It's a small mirror case with
Miss Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. I look into it and
think of my grandfather looking into it, and his grandfather...They
were patternmakers at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York.
It's always been in our toolboxes.

Charles Morrill

Tom Miller

Oh, I see. We use a different fitting system here in Auz.

Thanks

Tom

wrote:

Toilet wax ring? what's that?

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/b...ng/replace.htm

Cheap- about $1 US.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:

http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

http://www.speff.com

Lane

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
Oh, I see. We use a different fitting system here in Auz.

Thanks

Tom

Ah, like what? I thought the old wax ring was universal.

Lane

Leo Lichtman

"GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips
on my motorcycle handlebars...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best
product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something
like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not after
it's dry.

Tim Williams

Cool, an original gadget! Would think it would be bronze or somethin'
though?

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

"Charles Morrill" wrote in message
An old lead souvenir of the Statue of Liberty - perhaps from
around the time when it first opened. It's a small mirror case with
Miss Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. I look into it and
think of my grandfather looking into it, and his grandfather...They
were patternmakers at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York.
It's always been in our toolboxes.

Charles Morrill

ff

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips
on my motorcycle handlebars...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best
product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something
like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not after
it's dry.

Spray paint works for this too.
ff

Squeeze bottle of mustard.
jim rozen

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

"GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips
on my motorcycle handlebars...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best
product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something
like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not after
it's dry.

Supposedly the 'final net' soulution may not work anymore. They
may have changed the composition.

My favorite for installing stuff like that is alcohol.

Jim

please reply to:
wmbjk

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:33:09 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips
on my motorcycle handlebars...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best
product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something
like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not after
it's dry.

Try compressed air. Use a gun with a small nozzle, slip it into the
gap between the grip and the bar as best you can, wiggle a bit until
you get some inflation, and you'll find that the grip will slide along
nicely. I did this the other day with some foam grips that didn't even
have an end cap, it still worked perfectly.

Wayne

Dave Hinz

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:30:35 -0500, Bruce Spainhower wrote:
Try Dow High-Vacuum Grease instead. I keep it around for the vacuum work, but
it's perfect for any application where you can't use petroleum-based grease
(plastics, rubber, etc.).

Ah yes, "magic jumping grease", isn't it? Open the tube, the room gets
coated?

carl mciver

"jim rozen" wrote in message
| In article ,
Leo
| Lichtman says...
|

| "GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new
grips
| on my motorcycle handlebars...
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best
| product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something
| like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not
after
| it's dry.
|
| Supposedly the 'final net' soulution may not work anymore. They
| may have changed the composition.
|
| My favorite for installing stuff like that is alcohol.
|
| Jim

I'm really fond of isopropyl alcohol, which on rubber and similar
materials is very slippery but evaporates completely when no longer needed.
Denatured doesn't do quite as good a job. Rubbing alcohol, which has lots
of water, doesn't do it, though. Straight iso.

Leo Lichtman

"ff" wrote: Squeeze bottle of mustard.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And what do you use it for....drilling, tapping or eating?

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

wrote:
Try Dow High-Vacuum Grease instead. I keep it around for the vacuum work, but
it's perfect for any application where you can't use petroleum-based grease
(plastics, rubber, etc.).

Ah yes, "magic jumping grease", isn't it? Open the tube, the room gets
coated?

Heh. My favorite story involved a lab cheapskate who wanted to
waterproof his leather boots. He was too cheap to go out and just
buy some bear grease made for that, but instead swiped a big tube
of DC silicone grease and used that.

Apparently he developed the biggest case of foot-rot because the
silicone grease completely prevented the leather from breathing
at all.

Jim

please reply to:
D Murphy

"B.B." u wrote in
news
Me: silly putty. I use it to get any "fuzz" of magnetized metal off
my drill bits, screwdrivers, and anything else. Oh, and a mustard
bottle full of bearing grease.

Lipstick. If you have a sticky collet in a screw machine, it works every
time, just put a little on the taper. Grease washes away, lipstick sticks.
It also works on 5C spin indexers and screw type collet closers. I also
have weed whacker string (monofilament line) for lining up bar feeders.

--

Dan

Dave Hinz

In article , Dave Hinz says...

wrote:
Try Dow High-Vacuum Grease instead. I keep it around for the vacuum work, but
it's perfect for any application where you can't use petroleum-based grease
(plastics, rubber, etc.).

Ah yes, "magic jumping grease", isn't it? Open the tube, the room gets
coated?

Heh. My favorite story involved a lab cheapskate who wanted to
waterproof his leather boots. He was too cheap to go out and just
buy some bear grease made for that, but instead swiped a big tube
of DC silicone grease and used that.

Apparently he developed the biggest case of foot-rot because the
silicone grease completely prevented the leather from breathing
at all.

I've heard, er, rumors (yeah, that's it) that Dow Corning optical grease
(as used to couple photomultiplier tubes to scintillation crystals) is
a right bitch to get off of, say, the windshield of a particularly
annoying coworker. The more he wiped, the worse it got.

Hypothetically, that is.

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

I've heard, er, rumors (yeah, that's it) that Dow Corning optical grease
(as used to couple photomultiplier tubes to scintillation crystals) is
a right bitch to get off of, say, the windshield of a particularly
annoying coworker. The more he wiped, the worse it got.

Hypothetically, that is.

Heh. I think the approved method is to boil in NaOH solution.

Tough to get a beaker that big.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 25 Apr 2005 12:59:10 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

I've heard, er, rumors (yeah, that's it) that Dow Corning optical grease
(as used to couple photomultiplier tubes to scintillation crystals) is
a right bitch to get off of, say, the windshield of a particularly
annoying coworker. The more he wiped, the worse it got.

Hypothetically, that is.

Heh. I think the approved method is to boil in NaOH solution.
Tough to get a beaker that big.

When we had to clean the grease off the crystals, we used isopropyl and
some really nice lint-free cloths, and a LOT of elbow-grease. The glass
on the crystals, however, had a much better polish (and was quite a bit
smaller) than his car's windshield.

Wish I had a few boxes of that cloth...

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

Wish I had a few boxes of that cloth...

There's a story about those lint-free cloths too.

Seems like there was a wafer fabrication facility that used them.
Actually used a lot of them, really. Their annual budget for
them was a few million dollars.

Then one of the guys on the line got the idea, that they
could use them twice - once on each side. He submitted it
as a suggestion, and it turned out they could indeed do that.

He saved the company about a million dollars per year.
Basically by using both sides of the rag.

The nice thing was they had the policy that anyone who did
that, got a sizeable cut of the savings.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 25 Apr 2005 14:11:37 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Wish I had a few boxes of that cloth...

He saved the company about a million dollars per year.
Basically by using both sides of the rag.

The nice thing was they had the policy that anyone who did
that, got a sizeable cut of the savings.

Yup, GE used to do that too - called it the "Business Driver" program.
(no clue why the name but they had a racecar logo so it looked good on
the shirts or something). They discontinued it because, among other
reasons, there was a bored third-shift tech who kept turning in things
like "part number (xyz) has the same function as part number (abc). abc
is an off-the-shelf commodity product, part (xyz) is custom-machined. We
could save (real number - with 5 digits) per year, based on a (number)
of scanners per year, by switching the 3 instances of (xyz) to (abc).
This is without considering possible quantity discounts (etc etc etc)"

They'd counter with "changing the bill of materials would cost (blah),
and we have a contract for (xyz) which would cost (blah) to break, so
shut up and go away", and then do it anyway a while later.

After a few of those, I stopped participating.

ff

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"ff" wrote: Squeeze bottle of mustard.
And what do you use it for....drilling, tapping or eating?

Good tapping oil dispenser. After I finish off the mustard :-)

REQ ::: Any thing on Scroll Saws - Use and Patterns Beardy Woodworking 1 May 24th 04 03:59 PM
Recessed Lights - Back Covers - Is there such a thing? TheScullster UK diy 6 April 27th 04 11:21 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 08:38 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 06:31 PM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 01:39 PM