Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DOW continues to soar..Thank you POTUS.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:05:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I can see the potential benefit of odd thread pitches, but what is
the
benefit of a 5C over other collet tapers?

Lower price and versatility. You can buy several types of milling
fixture that take 5C collets:
http://www.amazon.com/5C-CB-5C-Colle.../dp/B0007Q1Q50

I have 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks with 5C shanks that let me move a part
between the lathe and mill without losing zero position.

Another option:
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2532
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-vs-5C-collets

ER collets have a wider gripping range, but 5C collets match the
diameters of fractional-sized rod stock and bearings.

If cost is more important than capability to you, a 4-jaw chuck can
hold almost anything. I like collets for small delicate parts because
I can get in close to watch without having big spinning chuck jaws
near my head and hands. The last thing I made was a small brass test
probe pin that plugs into my truck's wiring connectors without
expanding them. It deflected enough that I couldn't turn it parallel
so I had to file it to final size, very close to the collet.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:08:16 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I can see the potential benefit of odd thread pitches, but what is
the
benefit of a 5C over other collet tapers?

Lower price and versatility. You can buy several types of milling
fixture that take 5C collets:
http://www.amazon.com/5C-CB-5C-Colle.../dp/B0007Q1Q50

I though R8 was the winner there, from previous conversations. Easy
availability and low cost, etc.

I have 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks with 5C shanks that let me move a part
between the lathe and mill without losing zero position.

Another option:
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2532
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-vs-5C-collets

ER collets have a wider gripping range, but 5C collets match the
diameters of fractional-sized rod stock and bearings.

The dialog in one of those links mentioned parallelism. I thought
collets were also designed to remain parallel internally since they're
designed for holding round objects. Am I missing some knowledge here,
or what, teacher?

If cost is more important than capability to you, a 4-jaw chuck can
hold almost anything. I like collets for small delicate parts because
I can get in close to watch without having big spinning chuck jaws
near my head and hands. The last thing I made was a small brass test
probe pin that plugs into my truck's wiring connectors without
expanding them. It deflected enough that I couldn't turn it parallel
so I had to file it to final size, very close to the collet.

I know what you mean about spinning chunks of metal. They can break
bones into powder in a split second. I used to work around fan blades
and pulleys and learned to be quite careful around spinny tings.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I can see the potential benefit of odd thread pitches, but what is
the
benefit of a 5C over other collet tapers?

Lower price and versatility. You can buy several types of milling
fixture that take 5C collets:
http://www.amazon.com/5C-CB-5C-Colle.../dp/B0007Q1Q50

I though R8 was the winner there, from previous conversations. Easy
availability and low cost, etc.

Work-holding collets like 5C have large holes through the center and
tubular drawbars or clamping nuts. Tool-holding R8 and Morse collets
take a small-diameter solid drawbar and hold only short objects like
endmills.

Exceptions such as the 5C endmill grinding fixture
https://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/p...ategoryID=3983
and Morse collets in a rotary table make their limitations when
swapped quite obvious.

The dialog in one of those links mentioned parallelism. I thought
collets were also designed to remain parallel internally since
they're
designed for holding round objects. Am I missing some knowledge
here,
or what, teacher?

5C collets have a small gripping range of only a few thousandths above
and below their nominal size. That's not a problem for holding
accurately ground drill rod, but they may not fit hardware-store round
stock or bolt shanks as well.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I can see the potential benefit of odd thread pitches, but what is
the
benefit of a 5C over other collet tapers?

Lower price and versatility. You can buy several types of milling
fixture that take 5C collets:
http://www.amazon.com/5C-CB-5C-Colle.../dp/B0007Q1Q50

I though R8 was the winner there, from previous conversations. Easy
availability and low cost, etc.

Work-holding collets like 5C have large holes through the center and
tubular drawbars or clamping nuts. Tool-holding R8 and Morse collets
take a small-diameter solid drawbar and hold only short objects like
endmills.

The thru-part is a definite plus.

Exceptions such as the 5C endmill grinding fixture
https://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/p...ategoryID=3983
and Morse collets in a rotary table make their limitations when
swapped quite obvious.

Yabbut, that's not turning, it's sharpening.

Ouch! From their site "This fixture uses 5-C collets (no more bushing
to loose)" Hmm, do they mean "to lose" or "too loose"? sigh

The dialog in one of those links mentioned parallelism. I thought
collets were also designed to remain parallel internally since
they're
designed for holding round objects. Am I missing some knowledge
here,
or what, teacher?

5C collets have a small gripping range of only a few thousandths above
and below their nominal size. That's not a problem for holding
accurately ground drill rod, but they may not fit hardware-store round
stock or bolt shanks as well.

Yeah, that could be a problem when working with loose-tolerance work.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:41:04 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:32:16 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:35:51 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Mon, 16 Dec 2013
07:33:21 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

OTOH, if I could get a small 3 in one mill - I'm working to
reverse engineer the 3 barrel 25 ACP pistol you can find on the
net.
(I've got the cylinders and the barrels done.)

I've been looking for mini-mill and mini-lathe for decades now.
They
just don't show up on eBay, freecycle (I wish), or Craigslist.

I guess we'll have to make some. B-)

Can I borrow your mini-mill and mini-lathe to make mine? Thanks.

I've seen the series of books which start you out with casting
metal, and end up with functional mills or lathes. "Me Wants".

Yes, the Gingery stuff. DIY heaven.

But I'd just rather win the lottery and go say "that one, send the
it and the bill to this address..."

I just checked. My MegaBucks and Win for Life sucked wind, not
winning anything Saturday night. Alas... BUT, the Megabucks tickie
was good for 3 draws, so I might win tonight or Weds. Wish me luck.

Tell you what, if I win bigger than $100k, I'll buy you a pair of
minis. Will you reciprocate? Maybe our paired luck is better, and
Crom knows we can't buy lottery tickets every day.

Do you have room for a good lathe?
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/4235751398.html

I'm short the space, short the grand for the lathe, and short the two
grand to ship it all the way across the USA.

But thanks for trying.

I'll have to bring something home from Gunner's one of these years.
Something small and light enough to fit in my Tundra.

Might need to rent a u-haul

Im in the process of starting to do a real clean up/out of the back
40.

Anybody see anything they want..let me know...

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 23:15:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I'll have to bring something home from Gunner's one of these
years.
Something small and light enough to fit in my Tundra.

That will make it easier to get rid of when you find that it's too
small. The one I showed you is an example of an adequate size for a
home hobby/repair shop, but not so big or heavy that it needs a
level
concrete floor.

Are you saying that the revered HF mini is inadequate? -= Heavens!
=-

What does the SB heavy 10 weigh?

It varies with the cabinet, bed length, etc. Googling suggests they
weigh somewhat less than half a ton.

The Heavy 10 gives you 5C collets and odd thread pitches like 27 TPI.
There are other good choices in that size range that may sell for
less.
jsw

Also look for a Logan 11. Same 5C collets, quick change gear box,
still reasonably good support, parts are common.

It will weigh about 900 lbs in a full cabinet.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Some of this stuff is from years back. What's still available?

Did you ever find satisfaction with the uckerfay who stole the
paddleboard?

How loud/quiet are those IR screw compressors? (just curious)

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

If its not marked sold..its still here. Unfortunately.

Did you ever find satisfaction with the uckerfay who stole the
paddleboard?

Not yet. He appears to have disappeared.

How loud/quiet are those IR screw compressors? (just curious)

They are about 80db but at a tone level that is not at all irritating.

They sit in an enclosed room added to the shop simply humming along.

One can have a reasonable conversation while standing next to them
while both are running.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'll have to bring something home from Gunner's one of these years.
Something small and light enough to fit in my Tundra.

Might need to rent a u-haul

Nah, I don't have the space for an entire bed full of goodies like I
did last time, PLUS a trailer full.

Im in the process of starting to do a real clean up/out of the back
40.

Anybody see anything they want..let me know...

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602

Some of this stuff is from years back. What's still available?

If its not marked sold..its still here. Unfortunately.

A couple of the bridesmaids didn't look half bad. How much? bseg

Perhaps a list would help you sell the items which are actually for
sale, or maybe you could put them in a separate For Sale gallery, huh?
You have -hundreds- of photos there.

Did you ever find satisfaction with the uckerfay who stole the
paddleboard?

Not yet. He appears to have disappeared.

OK, I won't say it. vbg

How loud/quiet are those IR screw compressors? (just curious)

They are about 80db but at a tone level that is not at all irritating.

They sit in an enclosed room added to the shop simply humming along.

One can have a reasonable conversation while standing next to them
while both are running.

How big were the rotors in that one you rebuilt? They looked about
4x12", like a supercharger on a vehicle. Ten horse to run that?
They're not real efficient, are they? Or is my size estimate way off?

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'll have to bring something home from Gunner's one of these years.
Something small and light enough to fit in my Tundra.

Might need to rent a u-haul

Nah, I don't have the space for an entire bed full of goodies like I
did last time, PLUS a trailer full.

Im in the process of starting to do a real clean up/out of the back
40.

Anybody see anything they want..let me know...

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602

Some of this stuff is from years back. What's still available?

If its not marked sold..its still here. Unfortunately.

A couple of the bridesmaids didn't look half bad. How much? bseg

They arent for sale. However its possible I can rent them out.

(G)

Perhaps a list would help you sell the items which are actually for
sale, or maybe you could put them in a separate For Sale gallery, huh?
You have -hundreds- of photos there.

What..from your end they arent labeled?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...l192013ForSale

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...esForSale21213

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...602/NewForSale

etc etc

Did you ever find satisfaction with the uckerfay who stole the
paddleboard?

Not yet. He appears to have disappeared.

OK, I won't say it. vbg

Ahum...no idea where he will finally wash up. Shrug

How loud/quiet are those IR screw compressors? (just curious)

They are about 80db but at a tone level that is not at all irritating.

They sit in an enclosed room added to the shop simply humming along.

One can have a reasonable conversation while standing next to them
while both are running.

How big were the rotors in that one you rebuilt? They looked about
4x12", like a supercharger on a vehicle. Ten horse to run that?
They're not real efficient, are they? Or is my size estimate way off?

The one pictured is about 3" in diameter and about 12" long. And
yep..they do require a full 10 hp to push out a ****load of air at
150psi. Ive never been able to get the tank gauge to deflect the
slightest amount..not even when I opened a 3/4" valve and let it blow.

Im sure at some time it would start running out of air..but..there is
a reason that sandblasters and massed spray booths use screw
compressors.

Oh..the (2) big compressors use about 4" rotor..about 14" long.
Rather amazing how small they are and how much air they push.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

OK, now I see a couple of them, but I didn't the first time.

Did you ever find satisfaction with the uckerfay who stole the
paddleboard?

Not yet. He appears to have disappeared.

OK, I won't say it. vbg

Ahum...no idea where he will finally wash up. Shrug

That's what I thought. g

How loud/quiet are those IR screw compressors? (just curious)

They are about 80db but at a tone level that is not at all irritating.

They sit in an enclosed room added to the shop simply humming along.

One can have a reasonable conversation while standing next to them
while both are running.

How big were the rotors in that one you rebuilt? They looked about
4x12", like a supercharger on a vehicle. Ten horse to run that?
They're not real efficient, are they? Or is my size estimate way off?

The one pictured is about 3" in diameter and about 12" long. And
yep..they do require a full 10 hp to push out a ****load of air at
150psi. Ive never been able to get the tank gauge to deflect the
slightest amount..not even when I opened a 3/4" valve and let it blow.

Cool.

Im sure at some time it would start running out of air..but..there is
a reason that sandblasters and massed spray booths use screw
compressors.

Yeah, we had a 15hp, 440v, 110gal v-twin at Flynn's Frame and
Collision back in the day. It ran a lot. Screws might have been more
efficient after all.

Oh..the (2) big compressors use about 4" rotor..about 14" long.
Rather amazing how small they are and how much air they push.

What RPM do they spin?

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

They turn from about 1000 rpm to about 4500..depending on brand, type
and whatnot. Some of the ultra high power/expensive *******s turn at
40,000 plus..but we wont see them in machine shops.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Oh..the (2) big compressors use about 4" rotor..about 14" long.
Rather amazing how small they are and how much air they push.

What RPM do they spin?

They turn from about 1000 rpm to about 4500..depending on brand, type
and whatnot. Some of the ultra high power/expensive *******s turn at
40,000 plus..but we wont see them in machine shops.

I'll bet those big *******s have 2 high-powered a/c units installed,
too, one each to cool and dry that kind of airflow.

--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Oh..the (2) big compressors use about 4" rotor..about 14" long.
Rather amazing how small they are and how much air they push.

What RPM do they spin?

They turn from about 1000 rpm to about 4500..depending on brand, type
and whatnot. Some of the ultra high power/expensive *******s turn at
40,000 plus..but we wont see them in machine shops.

I'll bet those big *******s have 2 high-powered a/c units installed,
too, one each to cool and dry that kind of airflow.

Actually..some do..but most of them use the "de oiler" to spin off
both the oil AND any water. The water is plumbed out to a separator
that floats off any remaining oil and captures it in a "collection
bag" (think big sock filled with kitty litter type stuff) and an
automatic drain releases the water to the parking lot...er..a safe
drainage location.

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-22, Gunner Asch wrote:
Actually..some do..but most of them use the "de oiler" to spin off
both the oil AND any water. The water is plumbed out to a separator
that floats off any remaining oil and captures it in a "collection
bag" (think big sock filled with kitty litter type stuff) and an
automatic drain releases the water to the parking lot...er..a safe
drainage location.

I have such a separator for sale first $500 takes it