Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

Do you think that Home Depot should start carrying body armor?

TMT

Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

Take a nation of do-it-yourselfers, add a ready supply of cheap
nailguns and what do you get? About 37,000 nailgun injuries a year,
according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Since 1991, nailgun injuries have risen about 200 percent, the CDC
said in its weekly report on death and disease.

"This increase likely corresponds to an increase in availability
during the 1990s of inexpensive pneumatic nail guns and air
compressors (to power the nail guns) in home hardware stores; however,
no sales data are available for confirmation," the CDC reported.

But when the CDC looked at who was getting injured, it became clear
that the number of work-related nailgun injuries had stayed stable
since 1998. It was consumer-related injuries that had soared.

"During the 5-year period 2001-2005, an average of approximately
37,000 patients with injuries related to nail-gun use were treated
annually in emergency departments, with 40 percent of injuries
occurring among consumers," the report read.

Emergency departments treated three times as many consumers with nail-
gun injuries in 2005 as they did in 1991, the report noted.

The CDC said more needs to be done to make consumers aware of the
dangers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Do you think that Home Depot should start carrying body armor?

TMT

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Pete C.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 13 Apr 2007 08:22:34 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Would be interesting to know what kinds of injuries.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

And there probably was a corresponding decrease in injuries from using
hammers such as crushed fingers and other impact injuries, but nobody
checks.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus10909 wrote:

Would be interesting to know what kinds of injuries.

NAIL GUN INJURIES

Number of nail-gun injuries treated in hospital emergency departments,
by body part, United States, 2005.

Consumers

Upper extremities: Includes lower and upper arm, elbow: 1,100
Hands/fingers: 8,900
Lower extremities: Includes ankles, feet and toes, lower and upper leg:
2,300
Other: *

Workers

Upper extremities: Includes lower and upper arm, elbow: 2,200
Hands/fingers: 16,600
Lower extremities: Includes ankles, feet and toes, lower and upper leg:
6,900
Other: 2,800

*Number does not meet minimum surveillance reporting requirements

SOURCE: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 8:34 am, Ignoramus10909 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10909.invalid wrote:
[...]

Hi Iggy,

Punctures mostly, I'd imagine. We had a new employee, putting the
finishing touches to a crated machine, who managed to staple himself
to the side of the crate. Just moving too fast for his brain to catch-
up, I guess. Didn't hit any bone so it turned out ok. Good thing we
were there though, otherwise I don't know how he would have gotten
loose.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged
people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The
crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.

The blind man wanted to help by doing the nailing. They were skeptical.
...... ahhhh, I don't know ............

Cut to next day. One of the crew had a bandage on his thumb. Seems that he
shot himself in the thumb. The blind guy did use the nailer and had no
problems.

When they asked the crew member about it, he just mumbled something and
moved off. It was funny.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Funny now that you say it I use a air nailer and haven't split my nails
with a hammer in a while. Maybe I better get back to the safer hammer.

Don't do that!!

You will develop carpal tunnel syndrome!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the meadia types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:51:54 -0700, Steve B wrote:
I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged
people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The
crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.

Very nice, though, if he had no wife, why would he be remodeling
anything. Usually it is the wives that want to remodel perfectly well
functioning rooms.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:22:24 -0500, Ignoramus10909
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:51:54 -0700, Steve B wrote:
I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged
people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The
crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.

Very nice, though, if he had no wife, why would he be remodeling
anything. Usually it is the wives that want to remodel perfectly well
functioning rooms.

Two girls.

A friend of mine once said "If it wasn't for women we'd all still live
in caves.......................

and be happy!" Then his wife slugged him to prove the point.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:51:54 -0700, Steve B wrote:
I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged
people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The
crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.

Very nice, though, if he had no wife, why would he be remodeling
anything. Usually it is the wives that want to remodel perfectly well
functioning rooms.

Two girls.

A friend of mine once said "If it wasn't for women we'd all still live
in caves.......................

and be happy!" Then his wife slugged him to prove the point.

Yep. I would never remodel anything (like kitchens etc) unless that
area was unuusable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

One guy I knew tried shooting a nail into a knot, it deflected and wound up
in his bicept.

I suppose Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein will be pushing to have nail guns
outlawed in California.
--
Stupendous Man
Defender of Liberty, Advocate of Justice

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
I saw an episode where good citizens go in and do projects for challenged
people. A blind father had two girls, and no wife. The
crew came in and remodeled the girl's room and did some other work.

Very nice, though, if he had no wife, why would he be remodeling
anything. Usually it is the wives that want to remodel perfectly well
functioning rooms.

It was to get better quarters for his two daughters.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 10:44 am, "rigger" wrote:
On Apr 13, 8:34 am, Ignoramus10909 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
Would be interesting to know what kinds of injuries.

Hi Iggy,

Punctures mostly, I'd imagine. We had a new employee, putting the
finishing touches to a crated machine, who managed to staple himself
to the side of the crate. Just moving too fast for his brain to catch-
up, I guess. Didn't hit any bone so it turned out ok. Good thing we
were there though, otherwise I don't know how he would have gotten
loose.

I saw a guy put his hand on top of the gun to hold it steady in an
enclosed space. Don't think he thought that all the way through.

Nail gun of course jumped, hand was between gun and top of said space,
not pleasant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 9:22 am, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
[...]

There's at least a couple of different trigger systems out there, the
one that seems to cause the most problems is one where you can pull
the trigger and bump the safety interlock on the nose against the work
and the gun fires. If you're experienced, you can use the recoil to
move to the next area and repeat by just holding the trigger down. If
you're not experienced, the recoil may bump the nose against something
you don't want perforated, leg, arm, the guy next to you. The other
system requires a trigger release before the next actuation, no matter
what the safety interlock position is. The pros don't like that type
because it's perceived as being slower. Some nail guns can be
switched from one type to the other, would seem to me to be that the
default mode should be to require a trigger release for each
actuation. The same rules should apply to nail guns as to real guns.
Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.

They'll be going after the $10 HF nailguns next, "cheap Saturday-
Morning Specials"...

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 10:22 am, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:
[...]

Hey, maybe the Government will require one to be licensed to own a
nail gun.

And then the nails will be sold from behind the counter.

Then only criminals will own nail guns....

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The Porter-Cable nailguns come with the sequential fire triggers as
standard. If you call them they will send you the bounce trigger at no
charge. I use the bounce trigger on mine and have yet to attach myself
to my work.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

They did, at least for a time in some places. When the powder actuated
nail guns first came out they met the rather vague definition of a
handgun in some states and the states had to rework their laws to
exclude them.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the meadia types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

caulking guns are next!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I'll bet there's a lot more "shootings" than they know about. None of
the ones that I know about (including my own) resulted in a trip to the
ER. Pull the nail out and keep on working. There's not much for the ER
to do. Give you a tetanus shot if you're not up to date.

I'm sure that there are serious shootings that need to be attended to
and there are people who will go to the ER for even minor ones, but
overall there must be a lot that are uncounted.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 4:23 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I'll bet there's a lot more "shootings" than they know about. None of
the ones that I know about (including my own) resulted in a trip to the
ER. Pull the nail out and keep on working. There's not much for the ER
to do. Give you a tetanus shot if you're not up to date.

I'm sure that there are serious shootings that need to be attended to
and there are people who will go to the ER for even minor ones, but
overall there must be a lot that are uncounted.

Bob

As a self proclaimed weekend warrior I would like to keep myself out
of this category. The fun of it is that I recently acquired a
Bostitch Brad Nailer. Along with a Hitachi 6 gallon compressor. Is
there a list of pointers/safety tips/life experiences that anyone can
refer to? I haven't used either yet, but I would like to use them
safely. Right now laziness is keeping me safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 13 Apr 2007 14:14:42 -0700, "cleech" wrote:

As a self proclaimed weekend warrior I would like to keep myself out
of this category. The fun of it is that I recently acquired a
Bostitch Brad Nailer. Along with a Hitachi 6 gallon compressor. Is
there a list of pointers/safety tips/life experiences that anyone can
refer to? I haven't used either yet, but I would like to use them
safely.

The first thing I would say, because it's the most natural motion to
get you into trouble, is don't grip the work like you would with a
manual hammer and nail. In other words, manually, one normally
positions the piece to be nailed over/on/against the piece to be
nailed into, hold them in alignment, usually between thumb and
forefinger, and proceeds to begin nailing.

If you do that with a brad nailer...well, there are two kinds of
people--those who have had a brad deflect in the work and come out the
side just exactly where your thumb/forefinger is, and those who are
going to.

Consider yourself warned.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 13 Apr 2007 14:14:42 -0700, the renowned "cleech"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-...gun_frontl.jpg

Don't shoot yourself in the heart:

http://ejcts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/.../full/23/5/841

or anywhere else:
http://www.vesalius.com/graphics/arc...=670&nrVID=669

And the BBC warns on the use of "fully automatic" nail guns.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3685791.stm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Wear a faceshield. Put it on before you pick up the nailgun.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the meadia types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

todd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 5:14 pm, "cleech" wrote:
[...]

For starters, keep your finger off the trigger unless you fully intend
to fire. Like with a firearm. Failing to do that has gotten many
workers
nailed through helmets, even, reportedly. Not to mention that, for
_any_
part of the human anatomy, someone has had a nail fired there.

Considering what it takes to drive a 3-incher into lumber ...
Or with one Hitachi, into concrete ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"todd" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the media types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten nails,
it will probably be legal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

They watch movies and see the crazy stuff the good guys do to bad guys.
Then they know what is wrong and right.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

todd wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the meadia types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

todd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
One guy I knew tried shooting a nail into a knot, it deflected and wound
up in his bicept.

I suppose Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein will be pushing to have nail guns
outlawed in California.

As they should be, along with caulking guns, staple guns, and Guns n' Roses
and Guns of Navarone. .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Same old solution---"Let's legislate some intelligence!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:
They did, at least for a time in some places. When the powder actuated
nail guns first came out they met the rather vague definition of a
handgun in some states and the states had to rework their laws to
exclude them.

Pete C.

In 1979 in PA to rent a powder actuated nailer you had to take
a test and get a license. Had to get one.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

caulking guns are next!

ROFL! A caulking gun accident? Now that I'd like to see:

"A 25 year old man in Durham went deaf yesterday afternoon in a tragic
caulking gun accident. The victim accidentally siliconed his ears shut."

Thanks for the laugh.

dwhite

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

don't even go there!

I am not sure exactly what the runs are but in Canada all "automatic"
weapons are pretty much banned. So, where thec heck does a nail gun with a
100 nail magazine fit in?

"todd" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the
slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the media types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten
nails, it will probably be legal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Dan White" wrote in message
. ..
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

caulking guns are next!

ROFL! A caulking gun accident? Now that I'd like to see:

"A 25 year old man in Durham went deaf yesterday afternoon in a tragic
caulking gun accident. The victim accidentally siliconed his ears shut."

Thanks for the laugh.

dwhite

The man had the last laugh collecting $3.2 million dollars and a lifetime
supply of caulking products. He was able to prove that there were no
instructions telling him NOT to put the caulking in his ears.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Do you think that Home Depot should start carrying body armor?

TMT

Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

Same here in OZ - any cheap power tool will allow idiots the freedom
to purchase them....one of the local hospitals has whats known as the
"Black and Decker" ward, full of amputees from circular saws.....

Chain saws cause more serious injuries and some deaths than guns, but
you don't need a license to buy a chain saw...

There is a proliferation of "do it yourself" shows on TV which purport
to show how easy it is to do the things it normally takes a reasonably
skilled tradesman to do... This, coupled with a flood of dirt cheap
Chinese power tools...

For the observant among you, note the following in these shows...

1.All the wood is pre-cut to size - none of this messy measuring and
cutting accurately nonsense required
2.You will see hands/arms operating power tools - BUT you will NEVER
see them attached to the "actor" doing the demo.....why - well, health
and safety regs wouldn't allow an unskilled person to operate
dangerous machinery.
3.The favorite power tool activity seems to be running in a screw with
a cordless drill....why, I don't know...

Anybody else want to add to this list? - there are sure to be things I
have missed...

Andrew VK3BFA.

PS - spent this Saturday afternoon. listening to the next door
neighbor building "something" - his saw blade is blunt, so it grinds
its way through the wood. He has a nail gun, so everything gets
several dozen nails fired into it. And he cant cut to length, so the
electric plane with the chipped blades howls for ages...........when
he finishes, he gets out the petrol powered leaf blower to clean
up.....

But, I do admit, hes getting better - he hasn't had anything collapse
for a while now, even though its fascinating watching his structures
sway in the occasional high wind we get...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

As they should be, along with caulking guns, staple guns, and Guns n' Roses
and Guns of Navarone. .

If they are going to ban any guns at all, I'd just as soon they ban slogans.

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-1, 04/13/2007
Tested on: 4/14/2007 3:00:28 AM

[OT] This Isn't Just 'Dissent' -- The CIA's leakers lack the Cold Warriors' sense of purpose. Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 22 May 17th 06 07:18 AM
Nailgun - easy question KJ Home Repair 5 March 15th 06 01:03 AM
I fought the nailgun and the nailgun won Old Oak Woodworking 25 November 22nd 04 01:02 PM
Well, that was a fun weekend! Let's see what next weekend brings!( longish ) Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 2 October 25th 04 08:16 PM
Mortgage rates soar as economy rebounds Rui Teixeira Home Ownership 0 April 16th 04 02:03 PM