Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

On Apr 13, 5:14 pm, "cleech" wrote:
On Apr 13, 4:23 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'll bet there's a lot more "shootings" than they know about. None of
the ones that I know about (including my own) resulted in a trip to the
ER. Pull the nail out and keep on working. There's not much for the ER
to do. Give you a tetanus shot if you're not up to date.

I'm sure that there are serious shootings that need to be attended to
and there are people who will go to the ER for even minor ones, but
overall there must be a lot that are uncounted.

Bob

As a self proclaimed weekend warrior I would like to keep myself out
of this category. The fun of it is that I recently acquired a
Bostitch Brad Nailer. Along with a Hitachi 6 gallon compressor. Is
there a list of pointers/safety tips/life experiences that anyone can
refer to? I haven't used either yet, but I would like to use them
safely. Right now laziness is keeping me safe.

For starters, keep your finger off the trigger unless you fully intend
to fire. Like with a firearm. Failing to do that has gotten many
workers
nailed through helmets, even, reportedly. Not to mention that, for
_any_
part of the human anatomy, someone has had a nail fired there.

Considering what it takes to drive a 3-incher into lumber ...
Or with one Hitachi, into concrete ...