Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

On Apr 14, 12:58 am, "Doug Brown" wrote:
Sorry, meant to say " am not sure exactly what the rules are""Doug Brown" wrote in message

don't even go there!

I am not sure exactly what the runs are but in Canada all "automatic"
weapons are pretty much banned. So, where thec heck does a nail gun with
a 100 nail magazine fit in?

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"todd" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
om...

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of
course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the
slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the media types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them
fired.

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten
nails, it will probably be legal.

If you read the law to the letter its a firearm because the laws are
badly written. The Canadian laws are written deliberately widely.

BESIDES I bet more politicians have likely seen the scene in "Lethal
Weapon" where it has been used as a weapon than have held and used one
themselves

last i read pellet guns to potato guns and bows and arrows
(traditional, compound, recurves) all in some way fit as firearms.

if i felt like causing stuff i could try registering a potato gun =)

A little reading and it could meet all the requirements of a
"firearm"

Mechanically nailers are very similar to firearms the biggest
difference is in propellant.

If a criminal here takes too creative a view of a firearm or a police
officer takes too narrow a view they could get "criminalized" at which
point i'll be applying for a firearms Aquisition certificate and
taking a HUNTER SAFETY COURSE to use a nailgun

(I can hear the deer laughing at the silly humans now)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
"Dan White" wrote in message
. ..
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

caulking guns are next!

ROFL! A caulking gun accident? Now that I'd like to see:

"A 25 year old man in Durham went deaf yesterday afternoon in a tragic
caulking gun accident. The victim accidentally siliconed his ears shut."

Thanks for the laugh.

dwhite

The man had the last laugh collecting $3.2 million dollars and a lifetime
supply of caulking products. He was able to prove that there were no
instructions telling him NOT to put the caulking in his ears.

Steve

Sorry, Steve ... but this is one I just gotta ask for details on. I
mean, do I have to send a warning to all of my customers not to use the
pens for eye surgery, clearing ear wax or as suppositories?

I want to look the court case up to get a look at the summary.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-1, 04/13/2007
Tested on: 4/14/2007 3:44:08 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"todd" wrote in message

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

todd

Nope, double action. Assault weapons are capable of full auto.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 03:44:06 -0400, Bill in Detroit
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"Dan White" wrote in message
. ..
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

caulking guns are next!

ROFL! A caulking gun accident? Now that I'd like to see:

"A 25 year old man in Durham went deaf yesterday afternoon in a tragic
caulking gun accident. The victim accidentally siliconed his ears shut."

Thanks for the laugh.

dwhite

The man had the last laugh collecting $3.2 million dollars and a lifetime
supply of caulking products. He was able to prove that there were no
instructions telling him NOT to put the caulking in his ears.

Steve

Sorry, Steve ... but this is one I just gotta ask for details on. I
mean, do I have to send a warning to all of my customers not to use the
pens for eye surgery, clearing ear wax or as suppositories?

I want to look the court case up to get a look at the summary.

Big and huge yellow warning stickers......

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Do you think that Home Depot should start carrying body armor?

TMT

Nailgun injuries soar among weekend warriors

Same here in OZ - any cheap power tool will allow idiots the freedom
to purchase them....one of the local hospitals has whats known as the
"Black and Decker" ward, full of amputees from circular saws.....

Chain saws cause more serious injuries and some deaths than guns, but
you don't need a license to buy a chain saw...

There is a proliferation of "do it yourself" shows on TV which purport
to show how easy it is to do the things it normally takes a reasonably
skilled tradesman to do... This, coupled with a flood of dirt cheap
Chinese power tools...

For the observant among you, note the following in these shows...

1.All the wood is pre-cut to size - none of this messy measuring and
cutting accurately nonsense required
2.You will see hands/arms operating power tools - BUT you will NEVER
see them attached to the "actor" doing the demo.....why - well, health
and safety regs wouldn't allow an unskilled person to operate
dangerous machinery.
3.The favorite power tool activity seems to be running in a screw with
a cordless drill....why, I don't know...

Anybody else want to add to this list? - there are sure to be things I
have missed...

Andrew VK3BFA.

PS - spent this Saturday afternoon. listening to the next door
neighbor building "something" - his saw blade is blunt, so it grinds
its way through the wood. He has a nail gun, so everything gets
several dozen nails fired into it. And he cant cut to length, so the
electric plane with the chipped blades howls for ages...........when
he finishes, he gets out the petrol powered leaf blower to clean
up.....

But, I do admit, hes getting better - he hasn't had anything collapse
for a while now, even though its fascinating watching his structures
sway in the occasional high wind we get...

For those of you who are curious, I
don't live in Oz.

Although based on the above post, my
wife thinks I'm related to your neighbour.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 22:09:10 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"todd" wrote in message

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten nails,
it will probably be legal.

"Test drive our new GAU/8A 30mm masonry stud insertion tool. It comes with
seven operating chambers to increase productivity and improve cooling. Up to
70 studs can be inserted per second by relatively unskilled operators. With
its light weight construction and custom designed A10 carrier, it can be used
on jobs all around a state with very little transport or setup time. It has
been used in large numbers with great success by Government contractors for
work on tanks in hard to access locations"

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message

"Test drive our new GAU/8A 30mm masonry stud insertion tool. It comes with
seven operating chambers to increase productivity and improve cooling. Up
70 studs can be inserted per second by relatively unskilled operators.
With
its light weight construction and custom designed A10 carrier, it can be
used
on jobs all around a state with very little transport or setup time. It
has
been used in large numbers with great success by Government contractors
for
work on tanks in hard to access locations"

Is that the warthog insertion tool?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Doug Brown wrote:
don't even go there!

I am not sure exactly what the runs are but in Canada all "automatic"
weapons are pretty much banned. So, where thec heck does a nail gun with a
100 nail magazine fit in?

It's not like you can pick one up and start shooting, is it? Don't you
have to press the tip down on a hard surface for the interlock to disengage?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Naw, just give one to ol' Duke Cunningham to take into the prison showers
for protection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:04:33 -0400, Pat Coghlan
wrote:

Doug Brown wrote:
don't even go there!

I am not sure exactly what the runs are but in Canada all "automatic"
weapons are pretty much banned. So, where thec heck does a nail gun with a
100 nail magazine fit in?

It's not like you can pick one up and start shooting, is it? Don't you
have to press the tip down on a hard surface for the interlock to disengage?

There are some nailers (my old Bostich T-31 brad nailer and stapler,
my daughter's Porter-Cable US58 stapler, and my Senco SFW08 stapler,
for examples) that don't have an interlock safety tip. With any of the
aforementioned, you can point and shoot without tip contact, albeit
semi-automatically.

Yes, for all the bounce nailers, the safety tip still has to be
engaged to fire, and for all practical purposes it becomes the trigger
(again, semi-automatically).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

I am sure we have all seen TV shows where nail guns are used as weapons,
firing nails across a room, even one had the gun firing continuously as in a
machine gun.

ps.com...

"todd" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Single shot. Short range and very dependent on a hose or a gas charge.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

George wrote:

"todd" wrote in message

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

todd

Nope, double action. Assault weapons are capable of full auto.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Likely rated at the .22 short concrete nail guns that shoot nails into concrete.
Those did not have as much safety double triggers as the nail guns do.

I have a finish nailer and a stapler. Both have given fantastic service to me.
I have partials of 3 10,000 nail boxes. Just Finished up a 1000 staple box in one project.

What I found was the F=MA thing - if A is high then the mass that hits it is nominal.

I could nail up bird houses and thin frame stuff that a hammer would never do.
Using glue and a few nails various light things went together.

I put in flooring in an attic. It was pine, but I used ship lap in case I had to
dig out a section for electrical. Ship lap lays down the same, but the groove side
is top only - so a center board can be replaced center under previous tail
and since only the top is there the board lays flat.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

They did, at least for a time in some places. When the powder actuated
nail guns first came out they met the rather vague definition of a
handgun in some states and the states had to rework their laws to
exclude them.

Pete C.

In 1979 in PA to rent a powder actuated nailer you had to take
a test and get a license. Had to get one.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 7:09 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"todd" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote

Dunno, but I think CNN.com needs to get a clue since the article
specifically refers to pneumatic nail guns and the pic they used shows a
nice Hilti powder actuated nail gun, a rather different item. Of course
why would we expect the media to research properly or know the slightest
thing about any kind of gun...

Guns = BAD = Screaming Headlines and Sensationalist TV Fare.

That is all the media types know.

Politically incorrect behavior or critical thinking will get them fired.

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten nails,
it will probably be legal.- Hide quoted text -

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than

ten nails,
it will probably be legal.-

That's only IF (and a big "if" if you'll notice) it does not have the
capability of mounting a bayonet (how many idiots in the
California legislature did it take to come up with THAT????)

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 2:04 pm, Pat Coghlan wrote:
Doug Brown wrote:
don't even go there!

I am not sure exactly what the runs are but in Canada all "automatic"
weapons are pretty much banned. So, where thec heck does a nail gun with a
100 nail magazine fit in?

It's not like you can pick one up and start shooting, is it? Don't you
have to press the tip down on a hard surface for the interlock to disengage?

something as simple as DUCT tape will defeat the contact tip

and firearms have a safety interlock to remove the trigger from
service too dont forget.

But nailguns would technically be semi auto although i dont want to
check i'm almost sure mine at least wont empty all 100 nails out if
the contact tip is held down 1 squeeze one nail

BUT thats getting off topic

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:26:07 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:

Do you think that Home Depot should start carrying body armor?

TMT

Most body armor, Level II - III, without a ceramic insert...will NOT
stop a nail from a good nail gun. It will however slow it down a bit and
make it easier to pull out of your anatomy. Simply tear the armor off
and the nail comes with it.

Gunner

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 14 Apr 2007 13:46:54 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

Do you know how many nails a nail gun holds? It isn't just a nail
gun...it's an assault weapon.

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than ten nails,
it will probably be legal.- Hide quoted text -

Well, if there is no pistol grip and the guns holds no more than

ten nails,
it will probably be legal.-

That's only IF (and a big "if" if you'll notice) it does not have the
capability of mounting a bayonet (how many idiots in the
California legislature did it take to come up with THAT????)

dennis
in nca

The Bloods and the Crips have a nasty reputation for drive by
bayonetings here in LA

Gunner

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:11:50 -0400, Dan White wrote:
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

caulking guns are next!

ROFL! A caulking gun accident? Now that I'd like to see:

"A 25 year old man in Durham went deaf yesterday afternoon in a tragic
caulking gun accident. The victim accidentally siliconed his ears shut."

Actually...you heard about the prostitute who confused her tubes of
silicone caulk, and her KY Jelly?

All her windows fell out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Great words, but LL is a fictional character created by Robert Heinlein.
The baby is almost 2 and I still havent had to change a diaper!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
|| A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
|| butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
|| balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
|| take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
|| analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
|| cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
|| Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
|
| Great words, but LL is a fictional character created by Robert
| Heinlein. The baby is almost 2 and I still havent had to change a
| diaper!

RH made a good point, nevertheless.

Warning: your 2YO is about to explode! (apologies to John Cleese)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:32:23 -0700, "Stupendous Man"

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Great words, but LL is a fictional character created by Robert Heinlein.
The baby is almost 2 and I still havent had to change a diaper!

So lets hope you never speak a quote from Mark Twain, or Shakespear etc.

Or the Bible for that matter.

Gunner

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Gunner" wrote in message
So lets hope you never speak a quote from Mark Twain, or Shakespear etc.

So, Mark Twain and Shakespear were fictional?

Or the Bible for that matter.

You have a point there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:12:02 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
So lets hope you never speak a quote from Mark Twain, or Shakespear etc.

So, Mark Twain and Shakespear were fictional?

Their works were. Unless you live in the Bay area where Fairies are
commonly encountered.......

Then we have Poor Richards Almanac...and so forth.

Or the Bible for that matter.

You have a point there.

Indeed.

Gunner

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:32:23 -0700, "Stupendous Man"

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Great words, but LL is a fictional character created by Robert Heinlein.
The baby is almost 2 and I still havent had to change a diaper!

So lets hope you never speak a quote from Mark Twain, or Shakespear etc.

Or the Bible for that matter.

Gunner

LL (one of my favorite quotes, btw) is clearly and unabashedly
fictional, but there is archeology to support a number of the named
characters in the Bible.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." (The Twins)

The Biblical David did much the same thing in 1 Samuel 21:10-15

Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000734-0, 04/16/2007
Tested on: 4/16/2007 4:08:17 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

EXT wrote:

I am sure we have all seen TV shows where nail guns are used as weapons,
firing nails across a room, even one had the gun firing continuously as in a
machine gun.

Don't forget the "21 nail gun salute" on the TV show, "Home
Improvement"

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/homeim...t-season3.html

5. Arrivederci, Binford (22:50) (Originally aired October 13, 1993) Tim
has troubling grieving after Mr. Binford dies, opting to play darts and
basketball with the boys rather than talk about his feelings. The boys
of K & B Construction return to "Tool Time" to dispense some on-the-job
grooming tips and Tim honors the show's creator with a 21-nail gun
salute.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

[OT] This Isn't Just 'Dissent' -- The CIA's leakers lack the Cold Warriors' sense of purpose. Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 22 May 17th 06 07:18 AM
Nailgun - easy question KJ Home Repair 5 March 15th 06 01:03 AM
I fought the nailgun and the nailgun won Old Oak Woodworking 25 November 22nd 04 01:02 PM
Well, that was a fun weekend! Let's see what next weekend brings!( longish ) Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 2 October 25th 04 08:16 PM
Mortgage rates soar as economy rebounds Rui Teixeira Home Ownership 0 April 16th 04 02:03 PM