Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buld an AK-47?

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:26:48 PM UTC-7, RogerN wrote:
I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a
parts

RogerN

How many more guns do you need? Why not build something that will really
challenge and build your CNC machining skills? I'm talking about parts that
have curvy/swoopy surfaces. How about building a model turbine or
something like that? I'll help you create toolpaths for your parts with

curvy surfaces. Why not make the jump from prismatic parts to curvy parts
and leave most of the machinist wannabe's in this group in the dust. Idiots
like Wieber, Larry Jackass, Tom Gardner,Danny boy, etc. couldn't create
CAM program for curvy/swoopy parts if their lives depended on it.

The AK-47 build is to get a popular semi-auto, with good parts availability,
in 7.62 X 39, the ammo seems cheaper than .223 right now. larger & heavier
bullets for less money, that's my interest in an AK-47. The AK build was
something to be done by drilling a few holes on my manual mill and perhaps
hammering some rivets.

But on the CNC parts, I share your passion. I'm very interested in 3D, 3
axis tool paths, I'm interested in making molds and patterns.

So far I'm still without a convenient shop, it's about 5 miles out of the
way. I contacted the bank about getting money for a building, they didn't
sound too interested, they were supposed to call me back but didn't. After
buying my new car, my credit rating dropped to around 765, I doubt that's
the problem. I plan to ask another bank next time I take some time off.

Back on topic, what you are talking about is the reason I'm interested in
CNC and have spent money on a CNC mill and lathe. I know my machines are
old technology but I can update them to EMC2 and have massive amounts of
memory, billions of lines of G-code, no problem! :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:47:36 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:33:07 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

Sorry. I spelled your other name wrong. That would be Heisenberg.

Jon:

Heisenberg... I like that. I see you watched that program as well. I hated to see it go. Although, it did get a little dark toward the end.

--

BottleBob

http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

It was time for it to end and the darkness is part of what made it great.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:35:47 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:20:10 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:40:39 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

You should make the effort to understand what's changed.

Jon:

Not sure there is an overpowering NEED for me to understand what's changed. I'm RETIRED, after all. And unless there is another government shutdown/showdown that interferes with me getting my Social Security Check... I'll probably not be in the market to purchase a new CAD/CAM system just to run my CNC Sherline.

I'm going to lay it all out. Hopefully I'll do so in terms almost anyone can understand. I'm sure you will find some way to correct me, doubt me,

challenge me, etc. It's what you think you do best, Heisenberg. :)

Aww come on now. You're not going to fault me for just tryin' to help a buddy out, now are ya?

--

BottleBob

http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

If you wish to let the knowledge you acquired over many years become dated and your views become tainted by not making the effort to keep up that's your choice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:57:48 PM UTC-7, RogerN wrote:

"But on the CNC parts, I share your passion. I'm very interested in 3D, 3
axis tool paths, I'm interested in making molds and patterns."

Toolpath surfacing is a lot more than just molds and patterns. Toolpath surfacaing is the power to make many more real world objects and move away from a totally prismatic approach towards machining. Look for another post to my thread...

Basic Toolpath Surfacing Class Is In Session

....late tonight or tomorrow.

That tread will, over time, contain some of the best I have to offer. Those that take advantage of what I post in that thread will expand their vision of what's possible. This is true even if someone doesn't currently have the machine for doing toolpath surfacing or even if they never intend to get a machine for it. Renting machine time/finding a machine to use shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-17, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Roger, it is a fun project, but I am wondering, you presented so many
ideas, which one was the one you actually implemented?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:59:04 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:47:36 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

I see you watched that program as well. I hated to see it go. Although, it did get a little dark toward the end.

It was time for it to end and the darkness is part of what made it great.

Jon:

Weeell I was more entertained by the cooking/dealing aspect... not offing people right and left. Although, that sweeping machine gun in the trunk of the car scene at the end was sheer genius IMO.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:36:33 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:59:04 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:47:36 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

I see you watched that program as well. I hated to see it go. Although, it did get a little dark toward the end.

It was time for it to end and the darkness is part of what made it great.

Jon:

Weeell I was more entertained by the cooking/dealing aspect... not offing people right and left. Although, that sweeping machine gun in the trunk of the car scene at the end was sheer genius IMO.

--

BottleBob

http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I liked the contrast of Walter White's excellent teaching abilities to his need to use and control Pinkman like a puppet. It has lots of parallels in the machining business in my opinion... ding, ding, ding, ding....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! :)

I liked how Heisenberg got the best of Lydia Rodarte-Quayle with her neurotic obsession with Stevia.

I loved the Gus Fring character and how he did business. How he straightens his tie after having one side of his face blown off was pure genius. For a moment you think Gus escaped death. Might be the best death scene I've ever seen.

I like how the writers **** with you and Walt goes from good to bad to good.

I wish Todd had died a much more violent death. That kiss ass mother****er deserved to die in a lot more pain. I ****ing hated that piece of **** asshole.

I like how Pinkman remembered how much joy he had making that wood box.

I liked everything about Mike Ehrmantraut.

I liked what happened to Walt's house in the finale and the scene where he says hello to his neighbor and she drops her groceries.

I liked the burned up teddy bear with one eye in the pool.... creepy.

I liked how Hank told Walter how for a smart guy he was such an idiot just before getting shot in the head.

I liked how Hank's wife stuck her nose in everyone's business and was a kleptomaniac in denial.

I like how Pinkman wasted the head chemist with a degree in the Mexico super lab. The head chemist reminded me of Cliff Huprich. :)

More, much more.

It will be interesting to see if Gilligan's next series, Better Call Saul, works. Gilligan is obviously a genius writer obsessed with quality writing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:01:55 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:35:47 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

Not sure there is an overpowering NEED for me to understand what's changed. I'm RETIRED, after all.

I'm going to lay it all out. Hopefully I'll do so in terms almost anyone can understand.

If you wish to let the knowledge you acquired over many years become dated and your views become tainted by not making the effort to keep up that's your choice.

Jon:

Life is a journey, not a destination - (and you can't take it with you). There are any number of distractions/interests/adventures - with skills gained (and lost) along the trek. At one point I was obsessed with video games for a number of years - but I don't play anymore. Put in 1,000's of hours playing Chess - but I rarely play now. Built my own engines, ported my own heads, and made custom Nitrous units to street race for 20 years - but no longer race. Did the Heisenberg thing - no longer do that. Was a machinist & programmed CNC's for many years - then retired. Times & interests change. Or at the least the intensity changes.
Some things from the past still "pull" at me. I cruise through this newsgroup from time to time. I also read & post to a muscle car board occasionally.
Will I ever work in a shop 10 hours a day again? Unlikely. But I "might" go in to make some Cubes. Your hyping of modern toolpathing got me thinking that there were all sorts of NEW machining techniques that made possible the machining of parts that couldn't be made before, so I modeled those Cubes in case you could enlighten me to some toolpathing techniques that could be used to create them easily. But when I watched your surfacing vid, I was kind of disappointed. I mean SmartCam or SurfCam came out with Trumill around 2005, and Volumill came out a couple of years later. Heck, that's like 7-8 YEARS ago. The toolpathing in the video you posted is more EVOLUTIONARY than REVOLUTIONARY. I was expecting stuff like mini-shaper tooling that would make dead square corners without a radius... sort of reproducing what you can get with 3D Printing, but with billet Titanium/Inconel/Stainless. You know, CNC Mill tooling and toolpathing that could make 48 "sphere in a cube" units at a time. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:43:14 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:
[...]

You are correct new CADCAM technology will not help in making the two models you posted pictures of but it will help on lots of other CNC machining tasks. A good part of what new technology does in better CADCAM systems is make creating CAM programs in high pressure machining job shops much less of a chore/much less tedious and a lot more enjoyable. I'd would be very happy to never use a legacy code program like Mastercam again and hope to be at that point very soon. Qualcomm is just one machine shop who removed all their seats of Mastercam. There are many more who have now done the same and there will be many more to follow.

I'm very glad to still be a major thorn in the side of Gibbs and ASSociates now Cimatron. They recently reached out and had a few of their people join my LinkedIn group. In a recent phone call to Bruce Weinstein at Gibbs I was surprised to find that he agrees that they are going to have to do what I said they should be doing ten years ago. I'll keep up on CADCAM technology till the day I die, which might be sooner than you think. With almost 900 members now, my LinkedIn group has yet to see its best days. I have some very exciting things on the horizon when it comes to CADCAM that I look forward to sharing. As time goes on, I enjoy using better CADCAM systems more and more and I still have a ton of goals I haven't realized.

"The toolpathing in the video you posted is more EVOLUTIONARY than REVOLUTIONARY."

Pretty much everything in CADCAM is "EVOLUTIONARY" This will most certainly apply to new cloud computing ventures like Belmont Technology.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:06:24 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:43:14 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

You are correct new CADCAM technology will not help in making the two models you posted pictures of...

Jon:

I'm so utterly crushed & disillusioned!!!! How much do those 3D Printers run?

[...]

Oh, I forgot to ask before... don't virtually ALL CAM systems now use some form of high-speed constant engaging toolpathing? Even BobCad?

I'll keep up on CADCAM technology till the day I die, which might be sooner than you think.

Uh oh. Why do you say that? I thought you were eating healthy now, with all the juicing etc. Is there some other systemic problem?

With almost 900 members now, my LinkedIn group has yet to see its best days.. I have some very exciting things on the horizon when it comes to CADCAM that I look forward to sharing. As time goes on, I enjoy using better CADCAM systems more and more and I still have a ton of goals I haven't realized.

"The toolpathing in the video you posted is more EVOLUTIONARY than REVOLUTIONARY."

Pretty much everything in CADCAM is "EVOLUTIONARY" This will most certainly apply to new cloud computing ventures like Belmont Technology.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll let you know when to set your egg timer if that's what you prefer instead of the Huprich approach. That is, unless you actually believe Wieber's bull**** about how he picked up the phone and had Huprich taken care of.

"Oh, I forgot to ask before... don't virtually ALL CAM systems now use some form of high-speed constant engaging toolpathing? Even BobCad?"

BobCRAP dumped VoluMill. It was an option for BobCRAP that's no longer available. Any major toolpath development in BobCRAP isn't done by them. It's done by ModuleWorks. I frown on BobCRAP discussion in CADCAM Technology Leaders because BobCRAP isn't a technology leader. Their product does nothing unique and has no "vision" to it. It's a bad deal at any price.

If you are really interested in how ****ed up the CADCAM industry is when it comes to toolpath development suggest you start here and then nose around Julian's blog. Julian and his partner Martin developed adaptive toolpaths which were the first to make use of .stl technology to create smarter toolpaths and the first to make use of multi-core processors(HSMWorks). Their roots are with Arthur Flutter and his company NC Graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NC_Graphics

"On 16 May 2007 Parametric Technology Corporation acquired NC Graphics from Arthur Flutter for $7.2million,[2] stating that it had 15 employees at the time.[3] In its press briefing PTC confirmed that NC Graphics technology was licensed to 5 of the top 10 CAM vendors, including CNC Software (sellers of MasterCAM).[4] The Depocam product is to be released as Pro/TOOLMAKER 8..1 in August 2007.[5]"

This is where Mastercam surfacing toolpath came from. They didn't develop it. I think CNC Software paid 1 million for them. CNC Software won't be doing that again. The only thing good thing in Mastercam is their new high speed toolpaths... especially their Dynamic stuff. Other than that, Mastercam is totally dated, buggy and inefficient compared to feature based CAM programs. Mastercam has become a cobbled together mess with Verify and Backplot, their new Tool Manager, and Mastercam's new synchronized lathe all opening in separate Windows. All of the latter are separate programs that run outside the core of Mastercam. Mastercam has become a total ****ing mess unless you're a worthless fanboi and think there is nothing wrong with their approach to keeping their legacy code crap relevant. Everything in a better CADCAM programs is fully integrated. Nothing in Mastercam is and their now in deep ****.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:54:02 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Sorry, left out the link to Julian's blog:

http://www.freesteel.co.uk/wpblog/20...ecrecy-are-up/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-17, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Currently I have a PC with Linux loaded on the Solid State Hard Drive and
have it working with my Mesa board, I have a couple of encoders I can turn
by hand, it counts and the analog outputs respond to the error. To do
includes mounting the breakout boards and connector, wiring the connector to
the breakout board, plugging it all in and then adjusting the PID parameters
for best response. My board has 6 axis of encoder and analog outputs so I
can do my X,Y, & Z axis, plus the spindle, plus add a 4th axis later, and
still have a spare. So I could have it running in a few hours but a few
more hours to get the spindle control and encoded for tapping.

If I get a building here I should be able to get it going in a little spare
time. My lathe conversion went well, the drives responded to the analog
cards like I hoped, it was easy to tune since the drives are already
adjusted to the tachometers on the motors. Velocity feed forward gives the
basic velocity command and the PID gains adjust to minimize following error,
the lathe adjusts to 1 encoder count, 1/12,700th of an inch, pretty quick
and smooth with maybe 15 minutes spend on adjusting the gain. Getting good
spindle response using encoder feedback took a bit longer and still leaves
something to be desired, but it automatically adjusts to the S speed in any
gear that the speed can be reached.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-10-17, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Sounds really exciting, really great progress and great project also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/17/2013 9:21 AM, Snag wrote:
Ignoramus19482 wrote:
Buy a stamped kit, it should be a very easy exercise. Milled receivers
are not easy to make on regular knee mills.

On 2013-10-17, RogerN wrote:

I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy
a parts kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill
and rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any
specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of
trying to make a machine gun?

RogerN

I found a website somewhere a few months back where a guy used a shovel
blade to make an AK receiver . Beat it flat , cut it to shape , and fold it
to shape . He bought the rails and other internal parts , welded some etc .
I found the article ineresting , but lost the link when this comp crashed a
couple of months ago . Ah , here ya go , wasn't at all hard to find
http://hackaday.com/2012/11/25/beati...into-an-ak-47/ . Have fun
!

Enough takers and I make the dies to stamp them out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just saw this, someone had a link on FaceBook, ABC actually told the truth
about gun control. Facts and truth aren't usually allowed on liberal
channels, must have been an accident.

http://bearingarms.com/gun-myths-des...from-abc-news/

RogerN