DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Buld an AK-47? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/363046-buld-ak-47-a.html)

RogerN October 17th 13 01:26 AM

Buld an AK-47?

I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a parts
kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill and rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any
specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of trying to
make a machine gun?

RogerN

Bob La Londe[_7_] October 17th 13 01:35 AM

Buld an AK-47?

"RogerN" wrote in message

I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a
parts kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill and
rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any
specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of trying to
make a machine gun?

RogerN

Your state, county, and city may have additional restrictions, but making a
semi auto rifle is perfectly legal according the ATF as long as standard
full auto parts can not be installed to convert it to full auto and the
weapon is legal to possess where you live. You are supposed to label any
firearm you manufacture for your own use with your name, city, and state. I
believe there are also restrictions on the number of import parts you can
use to assemble / manufacture your firearm. Most of this information is
available on the ATF website, but finding everything you need can be
difficult.

No permit or tax stamp is required if making an otherwise legal firearm.
The tax stamp is required if making a restricted weapon such as short barrel
rifle, sawed off shotgun, etc. Some localities may still restrict these.

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 02:06 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:26:48 PM UTC-7, RogerN wrote:
I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a parts

kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill and rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any

specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of trying to

make a machine gun?

RogerN

How many more guns do you need? Why not build something that will really challenge and build your CNC machining skills? I'm talking about parts that have curvy/swoopy surfaces. How about building a model turbine or something like that? I'll help you create toolpaths for your parts with curvy surfaces. Why not make the jump from prismatic parts to curvy parts and leave most of the machinist wannabe's in this group in the dust. Idiots like Wieber, Larry Jackass, Tom Gardner,Danny boy, etc. couldn't create CAM program for curvy/swoopy parts if their lives depended on it.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] October 17th 13 02:15 AM

Buld an AK-47?

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:9f656130-e81e-
:

I'm talking about parts that have curvy/swoopy surfaces

Now, THOSE are real CAM/CNC terms! G

Lloyd

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 02:32 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:15:06 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:9f656130-e81e-

:

I'm talking about parts that have curvy/swoopy surfaces

Now, THOSE are real CAM/CNC terms! G

Lloyd

I dubbed it down for the unwashed mass of tea bagged idiots in this newsgroup.

NURBS surfaces developed with Bezier curves.

All the surfaces I create with exhibit G2 continuity (curvature continuous)at the edges where they meet. I will backed this up with proof of same by using surface analysis tools like as a curvature map (zebra striping).

Splines will be shown with combs showing no sudden changes in curvature and exhibiting even and smooth transitions through out.

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 02:45 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:32:21 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:15:06 PM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:9f656130-e81e-

:

I'm talking about parts that have curvy/swoopy surfaces

Now, THOSE are real CAM/CNC terms! G

Lloyd

I dubbed it down for the unwashed mass of tea bagged idiots in this newsgroup.

NURBS surfaces developed with Bezier curves.

All the surfaces I create with exhibit G2 continuity (curvature continuous)at the edges where they meet. I will backed this up with proof of same by using surface analysis tools like as a curvature map (zebra striping).

Splines will be shown with combs showing no sudden changes in curvature and exhibiting even and smooth transitions through out.

All toolpaths I create for parts with said surfaces will be efficient with little or no wasteful moves.

Gunner Asch[_6_] October 17th 13 03:10 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:35:50 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

No serial number needed. Nor any Identification of the weapon, unless
you intend on selling it at a later date. Ive seen serial numbers
composed of $##*^% lettering.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

---

Ignoramus19482 October 17th 13 03:44 AM

Buld an AK-47?

Buy a stamped kit, it should be a very easy exercise. Milled receivers
are not easy to make on regular knee mills.

F Murtz October 17th 13 04:15 AM

Buld an AK-47?

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

He could build a revamped AK47 with curvy/swoopy parts

Larry Jaques[_4_] October 17th 13 04:33 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 20:15:06 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:9f656130-e81e-
:

I'm talking about parts that have curvy/swoopy surfaces

Now, THOSE are real CAM/CNC terms! G

giggle

P.S: Why are we (inclusive) feeding this troll, anyway? sigh
I know, cheap shots are always fun and easy.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 04:34 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:15:42 PM UTC-7, F Murtz wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

[...]

Hopefully, Roger is ready to take his machining and CADCAM skills to the next level. I'm ready to help if he's ready to grow his skill set.

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 04:37 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:44:08 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus19482 wrote:
Buy a stamped kit, it should be a very easy exercise. Milled receivers

are not easy to make on regular knee mills.

Nothing is easy for an idiot like you to make because you have no real machining or welding skills.

Everything looks like it should be scrapped to you.

You don't create. You liquidate.

pyotr filipivich October 17th 13 04:56 AM

Buld an AK-47?

Gunner Asch on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:10:05 -0700
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

Roman numerals?

Hmm, maybe the original "hindoo" numbers?

Bible Verses? Psalm 119?
--
pyotr filipivich

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 05:10 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:33:02 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: Why are we (inclusive) feeding this troll, anyway? sigh

I know, cheap shots are always fun and easy.

Cheap shots are all Larry Jackass is capable of in an intelligent discussion about machining or pretty much any other subject... except perhaps lawn and garden work or very simple home improvement.

http://tinyurl.com/krfyrwa

Gunner Asch[_6_] October 17th 13 05:19 AM

Buld an AK-47?

wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

John:316-A would work as well as B and C and so forth.

Jon Danniken[_7_] October 17th 13 06:07 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On 10/16/2013 07:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

No serial number needed. Nor any Identification of the weapon, unless
you intend on selling it at a later date. Ive seen serial numbers
composed of $##*^% lettering.

And if you *do* intend on selling it, ie building for that purpose, then
you need to purchase a manufacturers license. That doesn't apply if
you just happen to sell it down the road, ie build it for yourself but
end up selling it at some point.

Jon

PrecisionmachinisT October 17th 13 06:22 AM

Buld an AK-47?

Just killfile the dumb ****.

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 06:28 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:10:32 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:33:02 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: Why are we (inclusive) feeding this troll, anyway? sigh

I know, cheap shots are always fun and easy.

Cheap shots are all Larry Jackass is capable of in an intelligent discussion about machining or pretty much any other subject... except perhaps lawn and garden work or very simple home improvement.

http://tinyurl.com/krfyrwa

Perhaps someone should ask Larry Jackass about his 13 connections and his "many" endorsements. :)

Oh, wait. I see Larry Jackass is endorsed by Mark Wieber.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PrecisionmachinisT October 17th 13 06:30 AM

Buld an AK-47?

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

He could build a revamped AK47 with curvy/swoopy parts

Hopefully, Roger is ready to take his machining and CADCAM skills to the
next level. I'm ready to help if he's ready to grow his skill set.

jon_ the v?????????? reciever is made of stamped sheet metal, just a heads
up.

PrecisionmachinisT October 17th 13 06:38 AM

Buld an AK-47?

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:RLadnathy6yN68LPnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

He could build a revamped AK47 with curvy/swoopy parts

Hopefully, Roger is ready to take his machining and CADCAM skills to the
next level. I'm ready to help if he's ready to grow his skill set.

jon_ the v?????????? reciever is made of stamped sheet metal, just a heads
up.

Kalashnikov

Sorry about all the question marks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47#Receiver_development

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 06:43 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:22:15 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:33:02 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: Why are we (inclusive) feeding this troll, anyway? sigh

I know, cheap shots are always fun and easy.

Cheap shots are all Larry Jackass is capable of in an intelligent

discussion about machining or pretty much any other subject... except

perhaps lawn and garden work or very simple home improvement.

http://tinyurl.com/krfyrwa

Just killfile the dumb ****.

I read every post the "dumb ****" makes and usually end up laughing my ass off.

When Larry Jackass isn't doing home and garden work and bragging about how much satisfaction he gets from doing, what looks to me like some of the most unimpressive stuff I've ever seen, he's cranking out quality website designs like his own:

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com/services.php

I wouldn't trust this "dumb ****" to build a dog house.

Check out the pictures of the shelves he put up. Truly awe inspiring stuff. :)

No wonder the worthless loser had to move out of Vista, CA. He couldn't hack it there.

I noticed that one of the few endorsers of Larry Jackass's skill set is none other than Mark Weiber. That would be the same Mark Wieber that tried to connect with me on LinkedIn. I ignored Wieber's request but I think it's really funny that Wieber tried to connect with me on LinkedIn and then denied it. I saved Wieber's LinkedIn request to connect with me because I thought it was so funny.

These clowns are world class losers. All of them.

PrecisionmachinisT October 17th 13 06:53 AM

Buld an AK-47?

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

These clowns are world class losers. All of them.

Which explains why I've decided not to allow them to consume any more than a
minimal amount of my time.

PrecisionmachinisT October 17th 13 07:13 AM

Buld an AK-47?

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 10/16/2013 07:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

No serial number needed. Nor any Identification of the weapon, unless
you intend on selling it at a later date. Ive seen serial numbers
composed of $##*^% lettering.

And if you *do* intend on selling it, ie building for that purpose, then
you need to purchase a manufacturers license. That doesn't apply if
you just happen to sell it down the road, ie build it for yourself but
end up selling it at some point.

Jon

I don't expect that particular loophole to last much longer, and I certainly
wouldn't suggest anyone should much time and effort persuing such an
endeavour...

--unless they're hoping to retire at a federal prison someplace near their
local neighborhood.

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 07:15 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:53:28 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message

These clowns are world class losers. All of them.

Which explains why I've decided not to allow them to consume any more than a

minimal amount of my time.

None of these worthless assholes can machine anything but the most basic prismatic parts so I'm laying down the gauntlet. I'm thinking about posting video of how I program surfaced parts and watching every single one of these worthless mother****ers **** their pants.

Not one of these ****tards can toolpath the kinds of parts I'm programming and that advanced home machine shops often program.

This isn't a machining group. It's a group for Mark Wieber clique idiots who can't cut it on good home shop machinist forums.

Karl Townsend October 17th 13 09:20 AM

Buld an AK-47?

best selection right now
http://whatacountry.com/parts-kits.aspx

You missed the boat, parts price and availablity is **** right now.
If you aren't in a rush, I expect things to return to near normal in a
while. Parts kits were snapped up just like ammo. Many people are
going to decide they can't do this and will start dumping them. Plus
the bigger vendors like Sarco, APEX, Copes etc. are sure to get more
in.

Of course, The Creek was your best bet.

get your parts from Curtis at:
http://ak-builder.com/index.php

I bend my own flats, for one, buy your receiver he
http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

or, if you go milled receiver, let me know which one.

I've collected a few gigabytes of build tutorials. send me a few bucks
to buy a memory stick

Karl

BottleBob October 17th 13 10:40 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:34:19 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

Hopefully, Roger is ready to take his machining and CADCAM skills to the next level. I'm ready to help if he's ready to grow his skill set.

Jon:

I've been out of the CAD/CAM loop since being retired, so I'm wondering if they have improved sufficiently to make machining the following cubes relatively easy. I just now drew them up in my 10 year old antique Gibbs.
Machining them might be an interesting little project.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...WithinCube.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...WithinCube.jpg

I can export as an IGES or Parasolid 14 if there is any interest at all.

They would go neat with the regular Turner's cube I use for as a keychain, which is shown on my homepage.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 17th 13 11:07 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On 10/16/2013 8:26 PM, RogerN wrote:

I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a parts
kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill and rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any
specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of trying to
make a machine gun?

RogerN

In today's political climate, that sounds unwise.
What's the attraction of building a device that
magnetically attracts government workers who tell
you not to?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 11:20 AM

Buld an AK-47?

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...ithinCube..jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...WithinCube.jpg

I can export as an IGES or Parasolid 14 if there is any interest at all.

They would go neat with the regular Turner's cube I use for as a keychain, which is shown on my homepage.

--

BottleBob

http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

You should make the effort to understand what's changed. I'm going to lay it all out. Hopefully I'll do so in terms almost anyone can understand. I'm sure you will find some way to correct me, doubt me, challenge me, etc. It's what you think you do best, Hissenberg. :)

jon_banquer[_2_] October 17th 13 11:33 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:20:10 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Sorry. I spelled your other name wrong. That would be Heisenberg.

BottleBob October 17th 13 11:47 AM

Buld an AK-47?

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:33:07 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

Sorry. I spelled your other name wrong. That would be Heisenberg.

Jon:

Heisenberg... I like that. :) I see you watched that program as well. I hated to see it go. Although, it did get a little dark toward the end.

Snag[_4_] October 17th 13 02:13 PM

Buld an AK-47?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 20:15:06 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

jon_banquer fired this volley in
news:9f656130-e81e- :

I'm talking about parts that have curvy/swoopy surfaces

Now, THOSE are real CAM/CNC terms! G

giggle

P.S: Why are we (inclusive) feeding this troll, anyway? sigh
I know, cheap shots are always fun and easy.

It's like poking a stick at the toothless old lion in the cage . Even if
he gets out he's impotent . I wasn't going to build a killfile on this comp
, since it's mainly for the wife I try to use the shop comp most of the
time but he's become enough of an annoyance to make me change my mind . One
of the nice things about OE is that when I bozobin somebody I can also
delete every single post he/she/it wrote .
Bye bye Jon-boi !
--
Snag

Karl Townsend October 17th 13 02:19 PM

Buld an AK-47?

BUILD INFO:

This kindle book is pretty good:

Build Your Own AK (Vol. I): Headspacing & Virgin Barrel Population
I got it when it first came out for free. Now he gets $8

There's only about 10,000 build videos on you tube.

Lots of build threads on weaponsguild.com and AKfiles.com

Snag[_4_] October 17th 13 02:21 PM

Buld an AK-47?

On 2013-10-17, RogerN wrote:

I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy
a parts kit less receiver and buy the receiver parts ready to drill
and rivet?

Any favorite AK to look for? (Polish, Bulgarian,...)

I don't want to build an full auto for legal reasons, are there any
specifics on how to make it a semi-auto without being accused of
trying to make a machine gun?

RogerN

I found a website somewhere a few months back where a guy used a shovel
blade to make an AK receiver . Beat it flat , cut it to shape , and fold it
to shape . He bought the rails and other internal parts , welded some etc .
I found the article ineresting , but lost the link when this comp crashed a
couple of months ago . Ah , here ya go , wasn't at all hard to find
http://hackaday.com/2012/11/25/beati...into-an-ak-47/ . Have fun
!
--
Snag

Delma T. Ivêy October 17th 13 02:27 PM

Buld an AK-47?

On 10/16/2013 5:26 PM, RogerN wrote:

[...]

What is bulding? Is it a gunsmithing term?

Karl Townsend October 17th 13 03:22 PM

Buld an AK-47?

If I bought today:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/2948

very nice kit

pyotr filipivich October 17th 13 04:50 PM

Buld an AK-47?

Gunner Asch on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:19:34 -0700

No permit or tax stamp is required if making an otherwise legal firearm.
The tax stamp is required if making a restricted weapon such as short barrel
rifle, sawed off shotgun, etc. Some localities may still restrict these.

No serial number needed. Nor any Identification of the weapon, unless
you intend on selling it at a later date. Ive seen serial numbers
composed of $##*^% lettering.

Roman numerals?

Hmm, maybe the original "hindoo" numbers?

Bible Verses? Psalm 119?
--
pyotr filipivich

John:316-A would work as well as B and C and so forth.

Psalm 119 is the longest 'chapter' in the scriptures. And it is a
literary exercise in which each section has each line begriming with a
the same letter of the alphabet. Try writing a poem following that
rule - eight lines all beginning with A, then 8 beginning with B.

One could adopt the ancient (pre-chapter numbering) practice of
using just the first words as the reference, or in this case, the
first word as the sequence.
Aleph
Ashl'
Af
ath
and so on to
tan

And then repeat with first two words ...

--
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch[_6_] October 17th 13 06:29 PM

Buld an AK-47?

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:22:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

If I bought today:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/2948

very nice kit

Thanks for the link! They sell FN49 parts!

Gunner

Bob La Londe[_7_] October 17th 13 08:27 PM

Buld an AK-47?

wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I am sure the SN can be composed of any recognizable character. I
won't argue with you since you are a much more avid firearms enthusiast than
I am, but from what I read it seems the makers mark is required, but the
serial number is not required unless it is sold.

BottleBob October 17th 13 11:35 PM

Buld an AK-47?

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:20:10 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:40:39 AM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

You should make the effort to understand what's changed.

Jon:

Not sure there is an overpowering NEED for me to understand what's changed. I'm RETIRED, after all. And unless there is another government shutdown/showdown that interferes with me getting my Social Security Check... I'll probably not be in the market to purchase a new CAD/CAM system just to run my CNC Sherline. :)

I'm going to lay it all out. Hopefully I'll do so in terms almost anyone can understand. I'm sure you will find some way to correct me, doubt me,
challenge me, etc. It's what you think you do best, Heisenberg. :)

Aww come on now. You're not going to fault me for just tryin' to help a buddy out, now are ya?

Karl Townsend October 17th 13 11:36 PM

Buld an AK-47?

Thanks for the link! They sell FN49 parts!

Not many folks have an FN49, that would be a treasured weapon.

I'm a big fan of FN, especially the FN FAL. I'm just finishing
building a bunch this week.

Karl