View Single Post
  #52   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default Buld an AK-47?

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:54:02 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:21:27 PM UTC-7, BottleBob wrote:

"Is there some other systemic problem?"

I'll let you know when to set your egg timer if that's what you prefer instead of the Huprich approach. That is, unless you actually believe Wieber's bull**** about how he picked up the phone and had Huprich taken care of.

"Oh, I forgot to ask before... don't virtually ALL CAM systems now use some form of high-speed constant engaging toolpathing? Even BobCad?"

BobCRAP dumped VoluMill. It was an option for BobCRAP that's no longer available. Any major toolpath development in BobCRAP isn't done by them. It's done by ModuleWorks. I frown on BobCRAP discussion in CADCAM Technology Leaders because BobCRAP isn't a technology leader. Their product does nothing unique and has no "vision" to it. It's a bad deal at any price.

If you are really interested in how ****ed up the CADCAM industry is when it comes to toolpath development suggest you start here and then nose around Julian's blog. Julian and his partner Martin developed adaptive toolpaths which were the first to make use of .stl technology to create smarter toolpaths and the first to make use of multi-core processors(HSMWorks). Their roots are with Arthur Flutter and his company NC Graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NC_Graphics

"On 16 May 2007 Parametric Technology Corporation acquired NC Graphics from Arthur Flutter for $7.2million,[2] stating that it had 15 employees at the time.[3] In its press briefing PTC confirmed that NC Graphics technology was licensed to 5 of the top 10 CAM vendors, including CNC Software (sellers of MasterCAM).[4] The Depocam product is to be released as Pro/TOOLMAKER 8.1 in August 2007.[5]"

This is where Mastercam surfacing toolpath came from. They didn't develop it. I think CNC Software paid 1 million for them. CNC Software won't be doing that again. The only thing good thing in Mastercam is their new high speed toolpaths... especially their Dynamic stuff. Other than that, Mastercam is totally dated, buggy and inefficient compared to feature based CAM programs. Mastercam has become a cobbled together mess with Verify and Backplot, their new Tool Manager, and Mastercam's new synchronized lathe all opening in separate Windows. All of the latter are separate programs that run outside the core of Mastercam. Mastercam has become a total ****ing mess unless you're a worthless fanboi and think there is nothing wrong with their approach to keeping their legacy code crap relevant. Everything in a better CADCAM programs is fully integrated. Nothing in Mastercam is and their now in deep ****.

Sorry, left out the link to Julian's blog:

http://www.freesteel.co.uk/wpblog/20...ecrecy-are-up/