Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Buld an AK-47?

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:26:48 PM UTC-7, RogerN wrote:
I'm considering building an AK-47. I guess the way to go is to buy a
parts

RogerN

How many more guns do you need? Why not build something that will really
challenge and build your CNC machining skills? I'm talking about parts that
have curvy/swoopy surfaces. How about building a model turbine or
something like that? I'll help you create toolpaths for your parts with

curvy surfaces. Why not make the jump from prismatic parts to curvy parts
and leave most of the machinist wannabe's in this group in the dust. Idiots
like Wieber, Larry Jackass, Tom Gardner,Danny boy, etc. couldn't create
CAM program for curvy/swoopy parts if their lives depended on it.

The AK-47 build is to get a popular semi-auto, with good parts availability,
in 7.62 X 39, the ammo seems cheaper than .223 right now. larger & heavier
bullets for less money, that's my interest in an AK-47. The AK build was
something to be done by drilling a few holes on my manual mill and perhaps
hammering some rivets.

But on the CNC parts, I share your passion. I'm very interested in 3D, 3
axis tool paths, I'm interested in making molds and patterns.

So far I'm still without a convenient shop, it's about 5 miles out of the
way. I contacted the bank about getting money for a building, they didn't
sound too interested, they were supposed to call me back but didn't. After
buying my new car, my credit rating dropped to around 765, I doubt that's
the problem. I plan to ask another bank next time I take some time off.

Back on topic, what you are talking about is the reason I'm interested in
CNC and have spent money on a CNC mill and lathe. I know my machines are
old technology but I can update them to EMC2 and have massive amounts of
memory, billions of lines of G-code, no problem! :-)

RogerN