Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw

As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:25:10 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus6946 wrote:
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),

I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad

service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone

cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch

sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate

boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of

use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any

other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a

bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

Why not try a hacksaw first? You ought to be able to get a pretty good idea of how well it will cut without going through the exercise (to put it mildly) of moving it to the band saw.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus6946 wrote:
However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

Set up for friction sawing, a bandsaw can cut darn near any hardness.
But if not set up for friction sawing (absurdly high blade speeds, does
what the name implies, DAGS) you'll probably need to experiment and see
how the hardest teeth you stock do on a chunk of the stuff. Or set one
up for friction-sawing, and have that in your arsenal for the future.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6946" wrote in message
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

I think they only work harden on top , where the wheel pounds on it . I
have a piece of smaller rail I made a mini-anvil with , had no problem
cutting the end off with a bimetal band . Try one , cut it lying on it's
side to present the thinner section(s) to the blade .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 05:41:54 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

[...]

I realize you just mean making a test, but I read a book about a
Navajo silverworker years ago -- the guy was supposed to be the best
-- and he described how he acquired his railroad-track anvil.

He went out to an abandoned rail line and picked out one that looked
nice. Then he pulled out his hacksaw, built a campfire and unrolled
his bedroll, and spent the next two days cutting off the section of
track. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 07:46:51 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

"Ignoramus6946" wrote in message
m...
[...]

FWIW, railroad rails are made of hypereutectoid (excess carbon)
pearlitic steel that work-hardens to around 500 Bhn -- equivalent to
50 - 52 Rockell C -- in service. New, as-rolled, it's typically 400 -
430 Bhn.

That's pretty hard for cutting with a steel blade.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Yes, thanks. I saw advice somewhere to cut them upside down, to start
out with softer material. I will do it that way. My bandsaw blades are
bimeetal, 1 inch wide Starrett blades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Patience is, indeed, a virtue.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Unless you have to make mortgage payments on your hogan. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:15:16 -0500, Ignoramus6946
wrote:

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Plasma cuts cleanly to the recommended thickness, but will cut much,
much thicker stock if you want it to.

Wouldn't a plasma cutter do the job quicker and more easily, except
with regard to later cleanup? (if you do clean it up) You could use
that to cut the horns, too. Preshaping might get you a better price.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6946"
wrote in
message
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier
(antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were
used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used
for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my
warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and
ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work
harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage
bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so
mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

Lay it on its side. Cut the base and web with a
torch. Quench with
water. Strike top with heavy sledgehammer...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I live in the real world, I need to cut these rails cleanly and
cheaply, a plasma cutter will do neither.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 07:25:10 -0500, Ignoramus6946
wrote:

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any

If so, it'd be the top surface. Flip it upside down and cut from the
bottom side first, maybe it'll crack through the last bit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Perhaps a carbide tooth blade would do the job if one is available in
that blade size.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress writes:

FWIW, railroad rails are made of hypereutectoid (excess carbon)
pearlitic steel that work-hardens to around 500 Bhn -- equivalent to
50 - 52 Rockell C -- in service. New, as-rolled, it's typically 400 -
430 Bhn.

And what I recall learning as a child....the reason there are
so many wheels around a rail yard is they are deliberately made
softer than the rails; wheels are easier to replace...

A long-dead machinist friend once found some OLD two-piece rail
sticking out of the ground. He cut off pieces and donated them
to a museum in Pennsylvania. ISTM he said they figured out they
were Civil War era.
--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:05:58 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Ed Huntress writes:

FWIW, railroad rails are made of hypereutectoid (excess carbon)
pearlitic steel that work-hardens to around 500 Bhn -- equivalent to
50 - 52 Rockell C -- in service. New, as-rolled, it's typically 400 -
430 Bhn.

And what I recall learning as a child....the reason there are
so many wheels around a rail yard is they are deliberately made
softer than the rails; wheels are easier to replace...

A long-dead machinist friend once found some OLD two-piece rail
sticking out of the ground. He cut off pieces and donated them
to a museum in Pennsylvania. ISTM he said they figured out they
were Civil War era.

Rolling rails was a real challenge in the early days. At the beginning
of rail, they were wooden rails with wrought-iron strips on top. Then
there were a couple of interim steps -- I think the two-piece was one
of them -- as steel mills developed the capacity to roll the kinds of
rails we have today.

It was a major impetus to the development of steelmaking and
rolling-mill work. Like firearms and steam power, the demand for rails
was a primary motivating force that drove the modernization of several
metal producing and metalworking industries.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6946 wrote:
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

Time to start looking for a surplus big-ass
plasma cutter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

They can be cut......with abrasive saws. Most railroad iron is
harder than a whores heart. Ive machined a few for people...and the
first one was an eye opener. Now I build a bonfire, stick in the
material and then when the coals are hot...cover it with vermiculite
(which is getting damned hard to find btw) or sand. The next day the
track is easy to cut/machine. You need to simply get it red hot and
then let it slow cool.

If I were you..Id either cut em with a Big abrasive saw ( you should
have one by now) or flame cut. Doesnt take much gas to slice one up.

Include a printed sheet on how to anneal them and people will love
you. It can be done on a BBQ if the chunk fits in it...but it will
take some gas to do.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:18:08 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Ignoramus6946"
wrote in
message
m...
[...]

Yah..that should work too.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:08:54 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
FWIW, railroad rails are made of hypereutectoid (excess carbon)
pearlitic steel that work-hardens to around 500 Bhn -- equivalent to
50 - 52 Rockell C -- in service. New, as-rolled, it's typically 400 -
430 Bhn.

That's pretty hard for cutting with a steel blade.

How much/far in do they work harden?

I would try cutting them across the top with an abrasive slitting blade
for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep and then finish up with a band saw. My
9 inch angle grinder would do that much in a reasonable time frame.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:38:40 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:08:54 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
FWIW, railroad rails are made of hypereutectoid (excess carbon)
pearlitic steel that work-hardens to around 500 Bhn -- equivalent to
50 - 52 Rockell C -- in service. New, as-rolled, it's typically 400 -
430 Bhn.

That's pretty hard for cutting with a steel blade.

How much/far in do they work harden?

I don't know specifically, Leon, but it's usually described as being
fairly shallow.

I would try cutting them across the top with an abrasive slitting blade
for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep and then finish up with a band saw. My
9 inch angle grinder would do that much in a reasonable time frame.

You might be surprised at how they cut. My "anvil" is a piece of track
about 8" long, which was cut, originally, with a big mutha O/A cutting
torch. I took my big mutha Milwaukee 6", 6.000 rpm angle-head grinder
snd ground off the edges, plus I ground the track surface smooth.

I couldn't believe how tough it was to grind. My Milwaukee is the
model they use for grinding construction and bridge I-beams for
welding, and it usually goes through structural steel like butter.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:08:54 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

I haven't tried it so you may be right... but a slitting blade acts much
different than a grinding blade. You have to be really careful with
them and not let them twist in the cut or you will end up with
pieces flying all over. Anyway, I would give it a try and then try
cutting it with a hand hack saw and see how it acted...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:41:03 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

cover it with vermiculite
(which is getting damned hard to find btw)

I'm guessing that you're not looking very hard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/THERMOROC...5#.UehQTo21HXo

5 in stock at bakersfield home depot.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 13:33:39 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:41:03 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

cover it with vermiculite
(which is getting damned hard to find btw)

I'm guessing that you're not looking very hard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/THERMOROC...5#.UehQTo21HXo

5 in stock at bakersfield home depot.

I don't see why he should pay for it considering that he could just
turn his head sideways and shake out as much as he needs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:08:54 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
[...]

Yeah, it's certainly worth a try. I think it's pretty clever of Iggy
to think of selling those pieces. Now we'll see how practical it is to
do at a reasonable cost.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/18/2013 01:16 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

I haven't tried it so you may be right... but a slitting blade acts much
different than a grinding blade. You have to be really careful with
them and not let them twist in the cut or you will end up with
pieces flying all over. Anyway, I would give it a try and then try
cutting it with a hand hack saw and see how it acted...

I've been really impressed with the "ultra thin" slitting wheels made by
Diablo, but they are spendy. The HF ones come in second place, and are
a lot cheaper so I usually just buy those. The thin wheels not only
last longer but they cut quicker as well.

I go really slow and make sure everything is lined up straight and
square, and make sure I'm covered up really good (safety glasses +
faceshield and a leather apron at a minimum).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

As someone else noted you can cut them with a bandsaw set up for
friction sawing or you can use one of the abrasive cut off wheel
machines that are small enough that they can be moved around. Local
shops that sell random lengths of steel routinely use them on a daily
basis so I assume that wheel life is reasonable..
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 11:16:45 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

There as a lot of well annealed rail over in Lac Magentic Quebec.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/18/2013 07:25 AM, Ignoramus6946 wrote:

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

If you succeed in this, I want one. Keep us updated.

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Plenty of scrap metal as well. I don't know if Iggy has the appropriate
paperwork together for international scrap metal dealing though...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-19, technomaNge wrote:
On 07/18/2013 07:25 AM, Ignoramus6946 wrote:

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

If you succeed in this, I want one. Keep us updated.

technomaNge

OK I will let you know. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

What are you figuring in to the cost of plasma cutting? I consider
compressed air pretty much free. g

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Uh, won't annealing them ruin them for use as anvils, guys?

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

I haven't tried it myself but 65+ years ago my grandfather cut his 2'
length in half with a hand hacksaw in order to share it with a
neighbour.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Uh, won't annealing them ruin them for use as anvils, guys?

Soft anvils are preferred by coyotes by a ratio of 9:1.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6946" wrote in message

As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

How about, if it's hard enough to be rough on bandsaw blades, cut into the
top surface with a chop saw, just enough to get through the work hardened
surface.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:19:46 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Uh, won't annealing them ruin them for use as anvils, guys?

Soft anvils are preferred by coyotes by a ratio of 9:1.

Isn't ALL Acme stuff soft?

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Uh, won't annealing them ruin them for use as anvils, guys?

Soft anvils are preferred by coyotes by a ratio of 9:1.

Isn't ALL Acme stuff soft?

Everything except their patented STUPID PUTTY ®©™, which becomes
harder than a diamond within 63 picoseconds of opening the package. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nope. They are hard MOFOs even annealed, But if you want them hard
again...toss em back into the BBQ and then quench in oil.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Uh, won't annealing them ruin them for use as anvils, guys?

Soft anvils are preferred by coyotes by a ratio of 9:1.

Isn't ALL Acme stuff soft?

NOT the Anvils!!

and they are Heavy too!!