Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6946 Ignoramus6946 is offline

Default Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw

On 2013-07-18, Terry Coombs wrote:
"Ignoramus6946" wrote in message
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

I think they only work harden on top , where the wheel pounds on it . I
have a piece of smaller rail I made a mini-anvil with , had no problem
cutting the end off with a bimetal band . Try one , cut it lying on it's
side to present the thinner section(s) to the blade .
--
Snag

Yes, thanks. I saw advice somewhere to cut them upside down, to start
out with softer material. I will do it that way. My bandsaw blades are
bimeetal, 1 inch wide Starrett blades.