Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:18:08 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Ignoramus6946"
wrote in
message
m...
As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier
(antique stone planers),
I also acquired two railroad rails. They were
used for railroad
service before, and after that they were used
for some custom stone
cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my
warehouse, cut up into 11 inch
sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and
ship in flat rate
boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work
harden from years of
use, and I am concerned that they will damage
bandsaw blades. Any
other cutting method would be uneconomical, so
mu question is, can a
bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

Lay it on its side. Cut the base and web with a
torch. Quench with
water. Strike top with heavy sledgehammer...

Yah..that should work too.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of