Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:16:18 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:21:38 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:38:40 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:08:54 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
FWIW, railroad rails are made of hypereutectoid (excess carbon)
pearlitic steel that work-hardens to around 500 Bhn -- equivalent to
50 - 52 Rockell C -- in service. New, as-rolled, it's typically 400 -
430 Bhn.

That's pretty hard for cutting with a steel blade.

How much/far in do they work harden?

I don't know specifically, Leon, but it's usually described as being
fairly shallow.

I would try cutting them across the top with an abrasive slitting blade
for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep and then finish up with a band saw. My
9 inch angle grinder would do that much in a reasonable time frame.

You might be surprised at how they cut. My "anvil" is a piece of track
about 8" long, which was cut, originally, with a big mutha O/A cutting
torch. I took my big mutha Milwaukee 6", 6.000 rpm angle-head grinder
snd ground off the edges, plus I ground the track surface smooth.

I couldn't believe how tough it was to grind. My Milwaukee is the
model they use for grinding construction and bridge I-beams for
welding, and it usually goes through structural steel like butter.

I haven't tried it so you may be right... but a slitting blade acts much
different than a grinding blade. You have to be really careful with
them and not let them twist in the cut or you will end up with
pieces flying all over. Anyway, I would give it a try and then try
cutting it with a hand hack saw and see how it acted...

Yeah, it's certainly worth a try. I think it's pretty clever of Iggy
to think of selling those pieces. Now we'll see how practical it is to
do at a reasonable cost.

--
Ed Huntress