Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Cutting railroad rail with a bandsaw

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 06:24:50 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:02:13 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 05:41:54 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:25:10 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus6946 wrote:

As part of the scrap deal I mentioned earlier (antique stone planers),

I also acquired two railroad rails. They were used for railroad

service before, and after that they were used for some custom stone

cutting machine.

I thought that I could bring them to my warehouse, cut up into 11 inch

sections, and sell as "railroad rail anvils" and ship in flat rate

boxes.

However, I do recall that railroad rails work harden from years of

use, and I am concerned that they will damage bandsaw blades. Any

other cutting method would be uneconomical, so mu question is, can a

bandsaw cut used railroad rails. Thanks

Why not try a hacksaw first? You ought to be able to get a pretty good idea of how well it will cut without going through the exercise (to put it mildly) of moving it to the band saw.

I realize you just mean making a test, but I read a book about a

Navajo silverworker years ago -- the guy was supposed to be the best

-- and he described how he acquired his railroad-track anvil.

He went out to an abandoned rail line and picked out one that looked

nice. Then he pulled out his hacksaw, built a campfire and unrolled

his bedroll, and spent the next two days cutting off the section of

track. g

--

Ed Huntress

Patience is, indeed, a virtue.

Unless you have to make mortgage payments on your hogan. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress