Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I tell a wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Metal blades have small teeth and lots of them. Wood cutting has larger
teeth and less of them. If you count the teeth per inch you can figure it
out. Wood will be about 6, metal about 14.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 21:13:07 -0400, micky
wrote:

It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Wood cutting blades are made out of wood.
Metal cutting blades are made from metal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metal cutting has smaller teeth.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"micky" wrote in message
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw,
I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have
put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such
things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can
I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Look on the packaging?

What do I win?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:01:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Metal blades have small teeth and lots of them. Wood cutting has larger
teeth and less of them. If you count the teeth per inch you can figure it
out. Wood will be about 6, metal about 14.

Thanks. I'm good to go then.

And thanks Christopher and excultmember. Sorry, Steve, packaging
long gone. No prize.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 12, 11:23*pm, wrote:

snip

Wood cutting blades are made out of wood. *
Metal cutting blades are made from metal.

You missed: plastic cutting blades are made from plastic, paper
cutting blades are made from paper, concrete cutting blades are made
from concrete and many others.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 11:23 pm, wrote:

snip

Wood cutting blades are made out of wood.
Metal cutting blades are made from metal.

You missed: plastic cutting blades are made from plastic, paper
cutting blades are made from paper, concrete cutting blades are made
from concrete and many others.

Joe

Well, it's only logical.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:36:28 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 11:23 pm, wrote:

snip

Wood cutting blades are made out of wood.
Metal cutting blades are made from metal.

You missed: plastic cutting blades are made from plastic, paper
cutting blades are made from paper, concrete cutting blades are made
from concrete and many others.

Joe

Well, it's only logical.

Steve

One can only imagine what Loraina Bobbit's knife blade was made
of.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

I WOOD think a wood saw wood have the teeth more at an offset to prevent
burning.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

One can only imagine what Loraina Bobbit's knife blade was made
of.....

Jeffrey Dahmer to Lorena Bobbitt: "You gonna eat that or what?"

groan .....................

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote

I WOOD think a wood saw wood have the teeth more at an offset to prevent
burning.

Greg

Metal blades have many smaller teeth, very close to a hack saw in
appearance. Wood saws have larger teeth, even to the point of being hooked.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 9:13*pm, micky wrote:
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. *I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

*Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! *How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Unless you can slow down your bandsaw or are cuting soft stock like
aluminum , you are likely to just strip the teeth off the blade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:54:16 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
wrote:

On Sep 12, 9:13*pm, micky wrote:
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. *I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

*Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! *How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Unless you can slow down your bandsaw or are cuting soft stock like
aluminum , you are likely to just strip the teeth off the blade.

I can slow it down.

I bought a new-to-me Toyoata Solara in South Carolina, where they
don't have front license plates. I had 30 days to get plates in Md.
and didn't realize until the day I got the plates that there is no
bracket. What dealers who sell cars in Md. do is drill holes
straight through the rubber bumber into the metal thing underneath. I
can't bring myself to do that.

Yes, it was the metal-cutting blad and it went through the steel like
butter. The bracket came from an obsolete computer I junked. If it
turns out I need thicker, I'll cut a piece from one of the sides.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 12, 9:13*pm, micky wrote:
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. *I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

*Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! *How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Unless you can slow down your bandsaw or are cuting soft stock like
aluminum , you are likely to just strip the teeth off the blade.

I can slow it down.

I bought a new-to-me Toyoata Solara in South Carolina, where they
don't have front license plates. I had 30 days to get plates in Md.
fand didn't realize until the day I got the plates that there is no
bracket. What dealers who sell cars in Md. do is drill holes
straight through the rubber bumber into the metal thing underneath. I
can't bring myself to do that.

Yes, it was the metal-cutting blad and it went through the steel like
butter. The bracket came from an obsolete computer I junked. If it
turns out I need thicker, I'll cut a piece from one of the sides.

Thanks.

Came across this thread on another scavenger site:
http://www.homekb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx...-metal-cutting

It doesn't even say what the source of the posts are, alt.home.repair,
on Usenet.

People there would be so much better if they read news directly.

My google search on the topic was reloaded and it found my own thread
here, even though I googled before all the answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 10:07 am, Joe wrote:

You missed: plastic cutting blades are made from plastic, paper
cutting blades are made from paper, concrete cutting blades are made
from concrete and many others.

Joe

Andy comments:

Yes, and any of them can be used to cut the crap !!! :)))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS Sorry... I couldn't resist ... :))))