Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
mc

Default Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw

I have a tablesaw with a sliding cutoff box that I often use to cut small
pieces of wood and plastic.

Today I needed to cut some aluminum (about 3/32" thick).

I put in a steel blade that was marked "for aluminum and plastic" and had a
difficult time. The cutting went slowly and the aluminum got very hot. By
the end, the blade was bent.

I then put in a 40-tooth (8-inch dia.) Piranha carbide-tipped wood-cutting
blade that was several years old. It cut the aluminum very happily, with
very little heat.

I know this is putting more wear on the blade than wood would, but how much
more? Am I doing anything harmful to the tools? Seems to me the original
"aluminum and plastic" blade was much worse.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
| I have a tablesaw with a sliding cutoff box that I often use to cut
small
| pieces of wood and plastic.
|
| Today I needed to cut some aluminum (about 3/32" thick).
|
| I put in a steel blade that was marked "for aluminum and plastic"
and had a
| difficult time. The cutting went slowly and the aluminum got very
hot. By
| the end, the blade was bent.
|
| I then put in a 40-tooth (8-inch dia.) Piranha carbide-tipped
wood-cutting
| blade that was several years old. It cut the aluminum very happily,
with
| very little heat.
|
| I know this is putting more wear on the blade than wood would, but
how much
| more? Am I doing anything harmful to the tools? Seems to me the
original
| "aluminum and plastic" blade was much worse.

The aircraft shop next to mine uses a chop saw with a wood-cutting
blade to cut not only aluminum, but also chrome moly steel tubing.
They report that with a slow, even feed the blades last for a long
time.

"Very hot" means either dull blade or feeding too slowly. Carbide
teeth flying around the shop indicate excessive feed speed. DAMHIKT.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:18:42 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

I have a tablesaw with a sliding cutoff box that I often use to cut small
pieces of wood and plastic.

Today I needed to cut some aluminum (about 3/32" thick).

I put in a steel blade that was marked "for aluminum and plastic" and had a
difficult time. The cutting went slowly and the aluminum got very hot. By
the end, the blade was bent.

I then put in a 40-tooth (8-inch dia.) Piranha carbide-tipped wood-cutting
blade that was several years old. It cut the aluminum very happily, with
very little heat.

I know this is putting more wear on the blade than wood would, but how much
more? Am I doing anything harmful to the tools? Seems to me the original
"aluminum and plastic" blade was much worse.

proper tool for the job is a "non ferrous metals" blade - has Carbide
tips with a different profile and set than the wood blade. draw your
line with a candle first - the wax keeps the chips from sticking in
the gullet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I have a tablesaw with a sliding cutoff box that I often use to cut small
pieces of wood and plastic.

Today I needed to cut some aluminum (about 3/32" thick).

I put in a steel blade that was marked "for aluminum and plastic" and had a
difficult time. The cutting went slowly and the aluminum got very hot. By
the end, the blade was bent.

I then put in a 40-tooth (8-inch dia.) Piranha carbide-tipped wood-cutting
blade that was several years old. It cut the aluminum very happily, with
very little heat.

I know this is putting more wear on the blade than wood would, but how much
more? Am I doing anything harmful to the tools? Seems to me the original
"aluminum and plastic" blade was much worse.

April 2006 Workbench has some information on cutting aluminum on a
tablesaw. They recommend using a regular carbide blade with a zero
clearance insert and also mounting the aluminum with double-sided tape to a
sacrificial piece of hardboard, then usig a pushblock with a heal to push
the aluminum through the blade. Workbench April 2006, pp 34 ff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

pushblock with a heal to push the aluminum through the blade

Mark,

In this context, is "heal" a typo for "heel", or something specific to
cutting aluminium?

(serious question, no sarcasm intended)

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"mc" wrote in message
.. .
April 2006 Workbench has some information on cutting aluminum on a
tablesaw. They recommend using a regular carbide blade with a zero
clearance insert and also mounting the aluminum with double-sided tape to
sacrificial piece of hardboard, then usig a pushblock with a heal to push
the aluminum through the blade. Workbench April 2006, pp 34 ff.

Many thanks. I have a carefully built sliding cutoff table with
essentially zero clearance, and if whatever I'm cutting is so small that
my fingers would be close to the blade, I put a block of wood down on it
and hold it down with that.

Don't use dust collection when cutting metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Many thanks. I have a carefully built sliding cutoff table with essentially
zero clearance, and if whatever I'm cutting is so small that my fingers
would be close to the blade, I put a block of wood down on it and hold it
down with that.

I used some of the blades called nail biters, meant to cut off nails in
old lumber. That worked pretty well because it had little rake, but any
Carbide blade works. When I worked for someone who could afford it, we
would use those radically expensive fine tooth blades and the cuts were
lots smoother. We usually would just have a guy shoot a shot of WD 40
now and then.

The most important part of this job is the wearing of Gloves, Eye
protection, and NEVER let off a stern grip. When a chunk of aluminum
gets kicked back, things tend to hurt for a while. Use every method
possible to ensure it does not kickback, and your board on the top is a
good step.

Grummy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:30:27 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

pushblock with a heal to push the aluminum through the blade

Mark,

In this context, is "heal" a typo for "heel", or something specific to
cutting aluminium?

(serious question, no sarcasm intended)

You are correct, it was a typo (can't believe I didn't catch that before
sending). i.e, the pushblock (they recommend a 2 x 4) has a heel that
catches on the back end of the sacrificial hardboard to push the
hardboard/aluminum piece through the blade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gunner

On 27 Feb 2006 21:20:17 -0800, "Josh" wrote:

Frank Drackman wrote:
"mc" wrote in message
.. .
April 2006 Workbench has some information on cutting aluminum on a
tablesaw. They recommend using a regular carbide blade with a zero
clearance insert and also mounting the aluminum with double-sided tape to
sacrificial piece of hardboard, then usig a pushblock with a heal to push
the aluminum through the blade. Workbench April 2006, pp 34 ff.

Many thanks. I have a carefully built sliding cutoff table with
essentially zero clearance, and if whatever I'm cutting is so small that
my fingers would be close to the blade, I put a block of wood down on it
and hold it down with that.

Don't use dust collection when cutting metal.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Josh

Because you can set your dust collector on fire very unexpectedly. And
may burn very hot and very vigorously with that air flow stoking it
on.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Amused

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
I have a tablesaw with a sliding cutoff box that I often use to cut small
pieces of wood and plastic.

Today I needed to cut some aluminum (about 3/32" thick).

I put in a steel blade that was marked "for aluminum and plastic" and had
a difficult time. The cutting went slowly and the aluminum got very hot.
By the end, the blade was bent.

I then put in a 40-tooth (8-inch dia.) Piranha carbide-tipped wood-cutting
blade that was several years old. It cut the aluminum very happily, with
very little heat.

I know this is putting more wear on the blade than wood would, but how
much more? Am I doing anything harmful to the tools? Seems to me the
original "aluminum and plastic" blade was much worse.

I have an old DeWalt 60-tooth that I've use to cut both aluminum and steel,
on my table saw. (Several pieces of aluminum. One piece of 1/8" steel).
Works very well. I am careful to feed the material rather slowly, and if
the carbide teeth start breaking off, I'll chuck the blade. The idea of
carbide pieces bouncing around my shop, does give me some pause. But so
far, no problem.

Several years ago, I watched a pole barn being built. The crew used high
speed steel blades, REVERSED in the skill saws to cut the metal.

THERE is no recommendation in this post. I'm just saying, I've tried it and
it works for me.

"And as always, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety
glasses."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Mark & Juanita wrote:

April 2006 Workbench has some information on cutting aluminum on a
tablesaw. They recommend using a regular carbide blade with a zero
clearance insert and also mounting the aluminum with double-sided
tape to a sacrificial piece of hardboard

Good point (the hardboard)...I lost a bunch of teeth on a thin kerf
blade I really liked one time when a thin piece of aluminum wrapped
around it

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...

Frank Drackman wrote:
"mc" wrote in message
.. .
April 2006 Workbench has some information on cutting aluminum on a
tablesaw. They recommend using a regular carbide blade with a zero
clearance insert and also mounting the aluminum with double-sided tape
sacrificial piece of hardboard, then usig a pushblock with a heal to
push
the aluminum through the blade. Workbench April 2006, pp 34 ff.

Many thanks. I have a carefully built sliding cutoff table with
essentially zero clearance, and if whatever I'm cutting is so small
that
my fingers would be close to the blade, I put a block of wood down on
it
and hold it down with that.

Don't use dust collection when cutting metal.

Out of curiosity, why not?

It is really easy to start a fire with hot metal shavings and a pile of dry
woodchips.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

news
wrote:

[...]

Any idea what the purpose of the sacrificial chunk of hardboard is? Perhaps
for cutting small pieces? I can't imagine any need for one if there isn't
an issue of getting one's fingers too close to the blade.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Rex B

wrote:

[...]

One of the problems I had was vibration - rapid lift/contact with the
table. I expect that was from the slight spring in the metal. The
hardboard would add mass and dampen that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Amused" wrote in message
snip-------

Several years ago, I watched a pole barn being built. The crew used high
speed steel blades, REVERSED in the skill saws to cut the metal.

That process is known as friction sawing, and is used to great advantage for
sawing even heat treated items. DoAll makes vertical band saws
specifically for that application, with blade speeds that exceed 10,000 FPM.
One can saw with a blade inserted with the teeth running backwards equally
as well as with the teeth running forward. They don't cut by the same
principle as low speed machining.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

When we build patio covers we cut the "C" channels, bracing, and heavy
columns with a 10" chopsaw with a regular 60 tooth wood cutting blade
that was retired from finish work.

I cleaned all the resin and buildup off it before using it on aluminum
an it works great.

I can only imagine the same results in a table saw. No matter what
though, wear your goggles. Those little aluminum chips really fly
around and have sharp edges. They stick in my arm all the time and I
just brush them off. But that wouldn't work in the eyes.

Robert