Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Amused

Default Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
I have a tablesaw with a sliding cutoff box that I often use to cut small
pieces of wood and plastic.

Today I needed to cut some aluminum (about 3/32" thick).

I put in a steel blade that was marked "for aluminum and plastic" and had
a difficult time. The cutting went slowly and the aluminum got very hot.
By the end, the blade was bent.

I then put in a 40-tooth (8-inch dia.) Piranha carbide-tipped wood-cutting
blade that was several years old. It cut the aluminum very happily, with
very little heat.

I know this is putting more wear on the blade than wood would, but how
much more? Am I doing anything harmful to the tools? Seems to me the
original "aluminum and plastic" blade was much worse.

I have an old DeWalt 60-tooth that I've use to cut both aluminum and steel,
on my table saw. (Several pieces of aluminum. One piece of 1/8" steel).
Works very well. I am careful to feed the material rather slowly, and if
the carbide teeth start breaking off, I'll chuck the blade. The idea of
carbide pieces bouncing around my shop, does give me some pause. But so
far, no problem.

Several years ago, I watched a pole barn being built. The crew used high
speed steel blades, REVERSED in the skill saws to cut the metal.

THERE is no recommendation in this post. I'm just saying, I've tried it and
it works for me.

"And as always, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety
glasses."