Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Walker-Turner drill press...

I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, probably built in 1953.
The tag shows "Model No. 1226-43", "Serial No. 000078" (really!). This
machine is in just about perfect condition, no rust, no holes in the table,
good paint, absolutely tight bearings. It has very low hours - so low, in
fact, that it still has the original belt (labeled "Walker Turner"). It
runs like a champ. It originally belonged to my father, who bought it new
(he's not around any more, so I can't ask him when or how). He taught me
how to "build stuff" using this when I was a kid, along with a 9" South Bend
lathe (in similarly perfect condition) and also a DeWalt 10" radial arm saw,
which I still use weekly.

The thing is, I also have a Harbor Freight mill-drill, which absolutely
sucks as a mill, but works pretty well as a drill press, and an Rong-Fu
table-top mill that I've barely used, but that seems pretty solid, so I
really don't have a need for a third drill press. So, with significant
reservations, I'm considering selling the Walker-Turner. Anybody have any
idea what the best route to sell it would be, and what it's worth? Or am I
being a complete idiot?

Thanks!
~~
Mark Moulding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark wrote:

[...]

You'll always regret selling good old iron. I just acquired a 1942
vintage surface grinder and it's great...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sell it on ebay and craigslist. It is a great drill press for some
sentimental user.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

You'll always regret selling good old iron. I just acquired a 1942
vintage surface grinder and it's great...

I just acquired an almost like new 1944 Moarch lathe and it is super
great.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:34:28 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

And my floor model Walker-Turner, of about the same vintage as Mark's,
is still going strong.

I paid $90 for it in 1973.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Mark" wrote:

[...]

I have an old bench top of about the same vintage, also made by Walker
Turner, but sports a Craftsman logo & data placard. Looks like an old
whore, but is still tight, true and going strong.

I also think you'll regret letting it go... it's some nice iron. Can't
even imagine ever letting mine go.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Mark
wrote:

[...]

This group is a voracious consumer of tools. Where are you?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/18/2013 2:42 PM, Mark wrote:
I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, ...

... I also have a Harbor Freight mill-drill, which ... works pretty well as a drill press,...

WAIT A MINUTE! You have a W-T and a HF and you are considering keeping
the HF and selling the W-T!? That is absolutely, totally, wrong.
Somebody give that guy a dope slap. Yeah, you will get a lot more for
the W-T, because it's BETTER!

The relationship between HF and W-T is this: you get a HF first, because
it's cheaper and you can't afford more. Then later you get rid of it
and get a W-T. You don't ever get rid of a W-T and keep a HF.

Do I make myself clear?

BG

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Gwinn" wrote in message

I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, probably built in
1953.

This group is a voracious consumer of tools. Where are you?

I'm in the San Francisco/Silicon Valley area area...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:55:56 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 6/18/2013 2:42 PM, Mark wrote:
I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, ...

... I also have a Harbor Freight mill-drill, which ... works pretty well as a drill press,...

WAIT A MINUTE! You have a W-T and a HF and you are considering keeping
the HF and selling the W-T!? That is absolutely, totally, wrong.
Somebody give that guy a dope slap. Yeah, you will get a lot more for
the W-T, because it's BETTER!

The relationship between HF and W-T is this: you get a HF first, because
it's cheaper and you can't afford more. Then later you get rid of it
and get a W-T. You don't ever get rid of a W-T and keep a HF.

Do I make myself clear?

BG

Bob

Not only that, this is a family heirloom. You should be making plans
to give it to your kid someday.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Not only that, this is a family heirloom. You should be making plans
to give it to your kid someday.

Maybe he has rotten kids, who barely deserve the HF?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, ...

... I also have a Harbor Freight mill-drill, which ... works pretty well
as a drill press,...

WAIT A MINUTE! You have a W-T and a HF and you are considering keeping
the HF and selling the W-T!? That is absolutely, totally, wrong. Somebody
give that guy a dope slap. Yeah, you will get a lot more for the W-T,
because it's BETTER!

The relationship between HF and W-T is this: you get a HF first, because
it's cheaper and you can't afford more. Then later you get rid of it and
get a W-T. You don't ever get rid of a W-T and keep a HF.

Do I make myself clear?

BG

Bob

Trust me, I really do understand this relationship, which is why I got the
HF *mill*-drill, looking for a milling machine. As I said, it's crap as a
milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are 6 TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!), so I got the Rong Fu as an upgrade. However,
as a drill press, it's pretty good, because it's more solid than most (the
quill's a bit beefier than the W-T), and it's got a column jack to increase
the vertical drilling range. Also, it has more speeds than the W-T,
although they're not quite as easy to get to (the W-T has no belt guard).
And the X-Y table is really handy, as long as I want to do things in 1/6"
increments...

As I said, I'm sort of on the fence about selling it; checking what else is
out there, it seems like it might go for as much as $500 or so. More than
the money though, I just hate to have it sitting around unused, and there's
always the space issue. Damn, I just don't know...
~~
Mark Moulding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I sold a lot of those drill presses, and I am not so excited about
them, they are just decent drill presses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/18/2013 2:42 PM, Mark wrote:
I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, ...

... I also have a Harbor Freight mill-drill, which ... works pretty well
as a drill press,...

WAIT A MINUTE! You have a W-T and a HF and you are considering keeping

..
and get a W-T. You don't ever get rid of a W-T and keep a HF.

..
Not only that, this is a family heirloom. You should be making plans
to give it to your kid someday.

Karl

Sigh. No kids of my own and I'm unlikely to have any at this point (I'm
54). My fiance' has a couple, both boys in their 20's. However, I doubt
that either of them would ever appreciate an actual machine tool.

I gave one the task of screwing down some loose boards in the deck - handed
him a cordless drill and a box of deck screws. About 15 minutes later, he
came back to me saying that "it just isn't working" - the drill would turn,
but the screw just wouldn't go in. I checked - the drill was in reverse.

Sigh.
~~
Mark Moulding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-19, Mark wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

[ ... ]

Trust me, I really do understand this relationship, which is why I got the
HF *mill*-drill, looking for a milling machine. As I said, it's crap as a
milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are 6 TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch (0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

[ ... ]

As I said, I'm sort of on the fence about selling it; checking what else is
out there, it seems like it might go for as much as $500 or so. More than
the money though, I just hate to have it sitting around unused, and there's
always the space issue. Damn, I just don't know...

I would like it -- but I'm on the wrong side of the country.
And even if I were local to you, I would feel guilty taking something
out of the family. The only power tool which I got from my father was a
6" grinder -- which he got in trade for an anchor. However, *I* got use
out of it as a kid and later.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-19, Mark wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Trust me, I really do understand this relationship, which is why I
got the
HF *mill*-drill, looking for a milling machine. As I said, it's
crap as a
milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are
6 TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch
(0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very
useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

At work my model shop inherited an Enco 100-5100 mill with 8 TPI
leadscrews, 0.125" per dial rev. Do you remember what 7/8" is in
decimal? I soon learned to convert between fractions and decimals
mentally.

The electrical engineer who had ordered it was Swiss and didn't really
know English decimal measurement, let alone fractions. He also bought
an ER32 adapter for it that took up most of the Z axis travel.

After I bought R8 collets and fixed the weak and fiddly small-parts
problems it became a decent home-shop-sized knee mill, very similar in
design, size and capability to my Clausing.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Vertical-Mill/G3102

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are 6
TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch
(0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

No, surprisingly, they're actually 6 TPI - and the hand wheels go up to .166
.... with a bit of extra space after the last division. Yech!

As I said, I'm sort of on the fence about selling it; checking what else
is

I would like it -- but I'm on the wrong side of the country.

I guess I'll be holding on to it. I'll justify it by saying that if I do
some little production run I can leave tooling set up on it.

And even if I were local to you, I would feel guilty taking something
out of the family. The only power tool which I got from my father was a
6" grinder -- which he got in trade for an anchor. However, *I* got use
out of it as a kid and later.

Some kids are tool users, and some aren't, I guess.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thanks!
~~
Mark Moulding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-22, Mark wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are 6
TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch
(0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

No, surprisingly, they're actually 6 TPI - and the hand wheels go up to .166
... with a bit of extra space after the last division. Yech!

O.K. I've seen ones which were marked for 0.125" (with a little
extra unmarked space) for a full turn, but which were in reality 3.25mm
pitch (0.127953"). Really a crazy one, and a pain to use.

[ ... ]

I would like it -- but I'm on the wrong side of the country.

I guess I'll be holding on to it. I'll justify it by saying that if I do
some little production run I can leave tooling set up on it.

Good!

And even if I were local to you, I would feel guilty taking something
out of the family. The only power tool which I got from my father was a
6" grinder -- which he got in trade for an anchor. However, *I* got use
out of it as a kid and later.

Some kids are tool users, and some aren't, I guess.

Yep. I've been as long as I remember. I moved back to my
parent's house after going part-way though high school in South Texas,
with a step-grandfather who was a tool user. When I got home, and
started looking for a hammer to do something simple, I found two -- both
tiny claw hammers with one or both claws broken off. That Christmas, I
got him a *good* claw hammer -- which I still have.

I also talked him into some other power tools for maintenance on
his all wood sailboat.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are 6
TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch
(0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

No, surprisingly, they're actually 6 TPI - and the hand wheels go up to
.166
... with a bit of extra space after the last division. Yech!

O.K. I've seen ones which were marked for 0.125" (with a little
extra unmarked space) for a full turn, but which were in reality 3.25mm
pitch (0.127953"). Really a crazy one, and a pain to use.

Well, maybe you're right - that's a pretty small difference. When I'm
knocking out some simple project, I generally try to use multiples of 1/2",
which is exactly 3 turns of the handwheel - or at least I thought it was.
I've never noticed it being off, but maybe it has been and I attributed any
accumulated errors to my carelessness in tracking backlash or something.
I'll put a caliper on it and find out for sure.

Some kids are tool users, and some aren't, I guess.

Yep. I've been as long as I remember. I moved back to my
parent's house after going part-way though high school in South Texas,
with a step-grandfather who was a tool user. When I got home, and
started looking for a hammer to do something simple, I found two -- both
tiny claw hammers with one or both claws broken off. That Christmas, I
got him a *good* claw hammer -- which I still have.

I also talked him into some other power tools for maintenance on
his all wood sailboat.

I can't conceive that someone doing work on a wooden boat wouldn't have more
than that pitiful set of tools! When I was 14 or so my Dad and I built a
small sailboat in the garage. My Mom was pretty happy to get the garage
back for a car after parking outside all winter and spring. I learned a
lot, though.

We didn't have much money, so every purchase was carefully considered. Our
only power hand drill was a 1/4" single-speed Black & Decker, but there were
probably a couple of thousand screws to drive in this boat. Rather than buy
a 3/8" VSR drill, which were still pretty expensive at the time, we found a
hand-clutch arrangement for a few dollars. It was ribbed cylinder, about 2"
in diameter and 3" long. One end way clamped in the drill chuck, and the
screwdriver bit in the other. By triggering the drill motor, you could grab
one half of the cylinder with your hand acting as a clutch to gradually
bring the bit up to speed. Grabbing the other half of the cylinder would
run the bit backwards (there was some sort of internal gearing). I ended up
with pretty tough hands for a 14-year-old...

Cheers!
~~
Mark Moulding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:20:20 -0700, "Mark"
wrote:

[...]

Got another one of those drivers in my Stuff if you want it. Its now
a wierd pinkish color..Sears didnt spend a lot of money on
anodizing...

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:20:20 -0700
"Mark" wrote:

snip
Rather than buy
a 3/8" VSR drill, which were still pretty expensive at the time, we found a
hand-clutch arrangement for a few dollars. It was ribbed cylinder, about 2"
in diameter and 3" long. One end way clamped in the drill chuck, and the
screwdriver bit in the other. By triggering the drill motor, you could grab
one half of the cylinder with your hand acting as a clutch to gradually
bring the bit up to speed. Grabbing the other half of the cylinder would
run the bit backwards (there was some sort of internal gearing).

My Dad bought one of those gizmo's too. Paired it up with a single
speed 1/4 inch drill we already had. With this one you have to grab the
nose and change some gearing to get reverse. Craftsman made/sold
several versions and this was kind of a "deluxe" model.

I still have it and use it quite a bit with a Dewalt 3/8 VSR drill. You
get a lot more control and it isn't so hard on the drill. Plus I can
just switch the drill to reverse and don't have to fiddle with the gear
change to go the other way. Really nice for cranking in Phillips style
screws. Just start pulsing your grip on the cylinder and that lets the
bit re-seat when the going gets tough...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We have a Walker Turner table with (2) 20" 1100 series Walker Turner Drill presses on them Serial # 11-2525 and Serial # 11-2523 can any one verify the exact model on these? I trying to get some technical info on these Vintage machines. We are looking to sell them
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey I'll buy it! How much would you ask?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just restored one of these bad boys. Looking to sell but cant figure out what it'd be valued at. Looks better than anything I can find on ebay. Any help is appreciated.