Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Old Walker-Turner drill press...

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:20:20 -0700
"Mark" wrote:

snip
Rather than buy
a 3/8" VSR drill, which were still pretty expensive at the time, we found a
hand-clutch arrangement for a few dollars. It was ribbed cylinder, about 2"
in diameter and 3" long. One end way clamped in the drill chuck, and the
screwdriver bit in the other. By triggering the drill motor, you could grab
one half of the cylinder with your hand acting as a clutch to gradually
bring the bit up to speed. Grabbing the other half of the cylinder would
run the bit backwards (there was some sort of internal gearing).

My Dad bought one of those gizmo's too. Paired it up with a single
speed 1/4 inch drill we already had. With this one you have to grab the
nose and change some gearing to get reverse. Craftsman made/sold
several versions and this was kind of a "deluxe" model.

I still have it and use it quite a bit with a Dewalt 3/8 VSR drill. You
get a lot more control and it isn't so hard on the drill. Plus I can
just switch the drill to reverse and don't have to fiddle with the gear
change to go the other way. Really nice for cranking in Phillips style
screws. Just start pulsing your grip on the cylinder and that lets the
bit re-seat when the going gets tough...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b