Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Walker-Turner drill press...

On 2013-06-19, Mark wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Trust me, I really do understand this relationship, which is why I
got the
HF *mill*-drill, looking for a milling machine. As I said, it's
crap as a
milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are
6 TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch
(0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very
useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

At work my model shop inherited an Enco 100-5100 mill with 8 TPI
leadscrews, 0.125" per dial rev. Do you remember what 7/8" is in
decimal? I soon learned to convert between fractions and decimals
mentally.

The electrical engineer who had ordered it was Swiss and didn't really
know English decimal measurement, let alone fractions. He also bought
an ER32 adapter for it that took up most of the Z axis travel.

After I bought R8 collets and fixed the weak and fiddly small-parts
problems it became a decent home-shop-sized knee mill, very similar in
design, size and capability to my Clausing.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Vertical-Mill/G3102

jsw