Rick Cox

Default Rockwell Delta 46-450 Lathe and Walker Turner Drill Press

Went to a school acution last Saturday and came out with a 46-450 lathe and
Walker Turner drill press with delta mortise attachment for $75.00. (The
auction was going very fast and I sold some of the items in the box lots to
people that missed the tool portion)

The lathe is 1.5 hp 3ph. It needs some cleaning, most everything looks
good. It is very heavy. Per tThe only parts that I can tell are missing
are the Quill Lock and the tool rest height adjustment lock. The indexing
teeth on the spindle pully were worn down when the lathe was run once with
the index lock on, but it will work for now.

I am interested in cleaning up and using this lathe in my home shop. I like
the option of running the 220 single phase to a Vfd phase conversion and
speed controls. The mechanical speed control is the Lever/cable operated
Reeves pulleys. They look fine but I am wondering if there are any
adjustments that would be needed. Delta's web page is down and I cant tell
if they have an Owners Manual for this lathe. They said to send $5.00 in
with a document request and they would have it in the archive.

The Walker Turner is in pretty good shape for its years. I dont really need
it, but I could not pass up the price. It has all the original motor and
switch. and runs quieter than my new Shop Fox bench top DP. The base of
the drill press is as big as a manhole lid. I may try to sell this, but it
is really cool.

I would be interested in any tips/photos on restoring the 46-450.

Thanks
Rick