Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Walker-Turner drill press...

I have an old Walker-Turner bench-top drill press, probably built in 1953.
The tag shows "Model No. 1226-43", "Serial No. 000078" (really!). This
machine is in just about perfect condition, no rust, no holes in the table,
good paint, absolutely tight bearings. It has very low hours - so low, in
fact, that it still has the original belt (labeled "Walker Turner"). It
runs like a champ. It originally belonged to my father, who bought it new
(he's not around any more, so I can't ask him when or how). He taught me
how to "build stuff" using this when I was a kid, along with a 9" South Bend
lathe (in similarly perfect condition) and also a DeWalt 10" radial arm saw,
which I still use weekly.

The thing is, I also have a Harbor Freight mill-drill, which absolutely
sucks as a mill, but works pretty well as a drill press, and an Rong-Fu
table-top mill that I've barely used, but that seems pretty solid, so I
really don't have a need for a third drill press. So, with significant
reservations, I'm considering selling the Walker-Turner. Anybody have any
idea what the best route to sell it would be, and what it's worth? Or am I
being a complete idiot?

Thanks!
~~
Mark Moulding