Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark[_40_] Mark[_40_] is offline

Default Old Walker-Turner drill press...

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

milling machine (for example, the lead screws on the X-Y table are 6
TPI -
man, is that a giant PITA!)

I'm willing to bet that they are really metric screws (4.25mm pitch
(0.1673"
per turn, instead of 0.1667"/turn)). Of course, neither is very useful,
but the 4.25mm might be better with metric dials. :-)

No, surprisingly, they're actually 6 TPI - and the hand wheels go up to .166
.... with a bit of extra space after the last division. Yech!

As I said, I'm sort of on the fence about selling it; checking what else
is

I would like it -- but I'm on the wrong side of the country.

I guess I'll be holding on to it. I'll justify it by saying that if I do
some little production run I can leave tooling set up on it.

And even if I were local to you, I would feel guilty taking something
out of the family. The only power tool which I got from my father was a
6" grinder -- which he got in trade for an anchor. However, *I* got use
out of it as a kid and later.

Some kids are tool users, and some aren't, I guess.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thanks!
~~