Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liability dangers in making a "portable gun target"

I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

It is junk because it is warped, I would say, it is about 1/2 inch out
of flat. So I cannot, in good conscience, weld it to a base and call
it a welding table.

So, I thought for a while, what can I do with it?

Yesterday, I made a portable gun target plate on wheels for myself from
another steel plate. This one is 3/4 inch thick and appx. 40x40
inches, and it works great for rimfire rifles.

It made me think about this and I thought, how about I make and sell a
portable gnu target from the big plate, by welding a base on casters
underneath.

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7288" wrote in message
[...]

Consult an attorney, usenet legal advice is worth what you payed for it.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2013 3:52 PM, Ignoramus7288 wrote:
I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

snip

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

You might have more liability for the thing falling over on somebody! A
40"x40" piece of 1 1/4 steel sounds like a really stout piece of metal!

All of the pistol targets I have seen are 3/8 to 1/2" steel.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-26, BobH wrote:
On 5/26/2013 3:52 PM, Ignoramus7288 wrote:
I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

snip

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

You might have more liability for the thing falling over on somebody! A

With a proper frame, it should not be a problem.

40"x40" piece of 1 1/4 steel sounds like a really stout piece of metal!

All of the pistol targets I have seen are 3/8 to 1/2" steel.

Right, and I think that it will appeal to a local buyer, who would
pick it up with his own truck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Dood, dat plate will weigh 555# all by its lonesome.... WTF will be able
to pull that around on a non-smooth or dert surface??
You'd have to *motorize* a 6ft x 6ft base to move it..... LOL
You do know that many targets are made out of paper, right?? And
watermelons.
Unless yer specifically testing for penetration, etc.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 17:52:17 -0500, Ignoramus7288
wrote:

[...]

None whatsoever. Any idea of what that plate is made from? S7 for
example?

It would make a very good pistol gong at long range..less good a rifle
goog. Unless its A500 or similar..a centerfire will pock it up pretty
badly over time.

I get about a year out of a 12x18 piece of 3/4" plate at 600 or
greater yards..but its "normal steel" not A500

Drill a hole in the upper two corners add 18" of chain to each hole
and sell it as a gong.

Got any 1000 yrd ranges in your area?

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2013 5:52 PM, Ignoramus7288 wrote:
[...]

I built some thing like that almost 20 years ago for my own use from a
30x30x1" mild steel plate mounted on a 2x4 pressure treated wood frame
that positioned the plate at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Stuck it on my deer land with the back against a slope, marked off 100
and 200 yard shooting stations and had at it. I only fired a few 30'06
FMJ, as they left pocks in the metal, but soft points dodn't bother it.
Someday I should mine the spot under it for the lead.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A36, as I said

It would make a very good pistol gong at long range..less good a rifle
goog. Unless its A500 or similar..a centerfire will pock it up pretty
badly over time.

I get about a year out of a 12x18 piece of 3/4" plate at 600 or
greater yards..but its "normal steel" not A500

Drill a hole in the upper two corners add 18" of chain to each hole
and sell it as a gong.

Got any 1000 yrd ranges in your area?

No 1000 yard ranges, no. I think that a 1 1/4 inch plate will last
significantly longer than 3/4 plates or thereabouts. A plate this
thick will dissipate the energy much better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7288 wrote:

[...]

Nobody will buy a target assy on casters, your market will be dirt
ranges so casters won't be of use. I recall someone here had a design
for a spring loaded popper target, perhaps plans are in the dropbox. I
recall it was made of 500AR plate, not sure your plate will hold up to
higher power rounds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/26/2013 6:52 PM, Ignoramus7288 wrote:
[...]

Now you're thinking like a manufacturer in the US! Don't forget sun
glint causing accidents on the highway, make sure the steel is certified
not to be "Blood Steel" from Mali-Wali-Bobo or causes Climate Change, or
takes jobs away from the Union Target Workers of America. And for god's
sake...don't make any money or they will be lining up around the block
to take it away from you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Where?

http://www.steel-plate-sheet.com/Ste...7-A37-RCI.html

It would make a very good pistol gong at long range..less good a rifle
goog. Unless its A500 or similar..a centerfire will pock it up pretty
badly over time.

I get about a year out of a 12x18 piece of 3/4" plate at 600 or
greater yards..but its "normal steel" not A500

Drill a hole in the upper two corners add 18" of chain to each hole
and sell it as a gong.

Got any 1000 yrd ranges in your area?

No 1000 yard ranges, no. I think that a 1 1/4 inch plate will last
significantly longer than 3/4 plates or thereabouts. A plate this
thick will dissipate the energy much better.

Well..it will take more rounds before its penetrated. But dissipate
energy? No. It will blow pretty good sized divots in it that go deeper
and deeper. As the divits multiply..they will blow back material at
the shooter. Probably not reach them...but....might.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The range I use only allows AR500 steel targets. They were using a
lot of them a few weeks ago. I visited the state 3-gun championship
with one of my sons. There were 12 stages and hundreds of
competitors, including the USMC combat shooting team. Fun.

Pete Keillor

It would make a very good pistol gong at long range..less good a rifle
goog. Unless its A500 or similar..a centerfire will pock it up pretty
badly over time.

I get about a year out of a 12x18 piece of 3/4" plate at 600 or
greater yards..but its "normal steel" not A500

Drill a hole in the upper two corners add 18" of chain to each hole
and sell it as a gong.

Got any 1000 yrd ranges in your area?

No 1000 yard ranges, no. I think that a 1 1/4 inch plate will last
significantly longer than 3/4 plates or thereabouts. A plate this
thick will dissipate the energy much better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

It is junk because it is warped, I would say, it is about 1/2 inch out
of flat. So I cannot, in good conscience, weld it to a base and call
it a welding table.

So, I thought for a while, what can I do with it?

If it were plywood, it would be great for a skimboard. But, given the
weight, that's out. Maybe undercoat the cab of your truck with it to
protect against IEDs?

Yesterday, I made a portable gun target plate on wheels for myself from
another steel plate. This one is 3/4 inch thick and appx. 40x40
inches, and it works great for rimfire rifles.

Most steel plate is too soft for any -real- caliber of bullets, and
most .22 shooters wouldn't buy something very expensive.

It made me think about this and I thought, how about I make and sell a
portable gnu target from the big plate, by welding a base on casters
underneath.

Who's going to drag a large, heavy plate out into the boonies for
shooting? Most folks don't have paved ranges, but I guess it's
possible.

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

In this litigious society, I'd be very cautious selling something like
that. Word the ad "Some people use these for rifle targets." and then
put a disclaimer of some sort, maybe? All sorts of crazies sue people
with absolutely no hope of winning, but it can still cost their
victims (tens of?) thousands of dollars to defend against it.

--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

In this litigious society, I'd be very cautious selling something like
that. Word the ad "Some people use these for rifle targets." and then
put a disclaimer of some sort, maybe? All sorts of crazies sue people
with absolutely no hope of winning, but it can still cost their
victims (tens of?) thousands of dollars to defend against it.

I am not, generally, worrying about being sued by some crazy person
who files a meritless lawsuit. It happens randomly anyway, and I do
have money to defend myself.

What I am concerned about is someone suing me and winning a lawsuit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 May 2013 09:40:40 -0500, Ignoramus26072

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

In this litigious society, I'd be very cautious selling something like
that. Word the ad "Some people use these for rifle targets." and then
put a disclaimer of some sort, maybe? All sorts of crazies sue people
with absolutely no hope of winning, but it can still cost their
victims (tens of?) thousands of dollars to defend against it.

I am not, generally, worrying about being sued by some crazy person
who files a meritless lawsuit. It happens randomly anyway, and I do
have money to defend myself.

What I am concerned about is someone suing me and winning a lawsuit.

That would be enough to keep me from selling it as such. Even
meritless lawsuits are won. Look at the McDonalds coffee fiasco.
The judge remittiturred the case, but it still cost them several
hundred thousand dollars for the twit's medical bills.

--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,
rather than truth as authority.
-- Gerald Massey, Egyptologist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

If you live your life so afraid of such things, you will never make
any money. I buy, and I sell, and I accept a small probability of
lawsuits, something that I am aware of and try to minimize.

If I spent my life paralyzed with fear about meritless lawsuits, I
think that I would not accomplish as much as is possible,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I perhaps choose to weigh risks and rewards differently than you, is
all. But if you remember, YOU brought it up.

If I spent my life paralyzed with fear about meritless lawsuits, I
think that I would not accomplish as much as is possible,

There's a vast chasm between choosing not to do something risky and
spending one's life paralyzed with fear, Ig. g

--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,
rather than truth as authority.
-- Gerald Massey, Egyptologist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

In this litigious society, I'd be very cautious selling something like
that. Word the ad "Some people use these for rifle targets." and then
put a disclaimer of some sort, maybe? All sorts of crazies sue people
with absolutely no hope of winning, but it can still cost their
victims (tens of?) thousands of dollars to defend against it.

I am not, generally, worrying about being sued by some crazy person
who files a meritless lawsuit. It happens randomly anyway, and I do
have money to defend myself.

What I am concerned about is someone suing me and winning a lawsuit.

That would be enough to keep me from selling it as such. Even
meritless lawsuits are won. Look at the McDonalds coffee fiasco.

http://www.fortworthinjuryattorneybl...McDonalds1.jpg

http://www.burton-law.com/2011/12/my...olous-lawsuit/

"
The truth about the infamous 1994 McDonald's case is quite different from
what you may have heard:

- 79-year-old Stella Liebeck was a passenger seated in a parked car when the
injury occurred. The coffee spilled when she attempted to remove the cup's
lid to add cream and sugar.

- She was wearing cotton sweatpants which absorbed the coffee and held it
against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.

- Liebeck suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser
burns over sixteen percent.

- She suffered very serious third degree burns on her thighs, buttocks, and
genitals from the spill; she was hospitalized for eight days, lost 20
pounds, and endured several skin grafts. Two years of medical treatment
followed.

- Liebeck originally sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover
her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500;
her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her
loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately
$18,000. McDonald's offered only $800.

- McDonald's required franchisees to serve coffee at 180-190 °F (82-88 °C).
At that temperature, the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to
seven seconds.

- McDonald's claimed that the reason for serving such hot coffee in its
drive-through windows was that those who purchased the coffee typically were
commuters who wanted to drive a distance with the coffee; the high initial
temperature would keep the coffee hot during the trip.

- The company had received more than 700 prior reports of burn injuries,
including third degree burns similar to those Liebeck suffered.

McDonald's was well aware of the extent and nature of this hazard. McDonald's
own quality assurance manager testified that a burn hazard exists with any
food served above 140 degrees; their coffee was kept warm at 185 degrees.

After trial to a jury of twelve citizens, they awarded Ms. Liebeck $200,000
in compensatory damages, but reduced it to $160,000 because they found her
20 percent at fault for the spill. The jury also awarded her $2.7 million
in punitive damages, equal to two days of McDonald's coffee sales. This was
eventually reduced to $480,000, even though the judge called McDonald's
conduct reckless, callous, and willful. Jurors expressed similar sentiments
in interviews after the trial. Ms. Liebeck and McDonald's eventually
reached a confidential post-verdict settlement.

The myths surrounding the McDonald's Coffee case need to be dispelled. HBO
premiered a documentary about the problems with tort reform recently, with
the film titled "Hot Coffee", which premiered on June 27, 2011. The film
also discusses in great depth how Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants is often
used and misused to describe a frivolous lawsuit and referenced in
conjunction with tort reform efforts.

A basic principle of the negligence system is that each of us has an
obligation to protect, not only ourselves, but other people when we can take
reasonable steps to do so. That principle makes both moral and economic
sense.

The judge remittiturred the case, but it still cost them several
hundred thousand dollars for the twit's medical bills.

If you live your life so afraid of such things, you will never make
any money. I buy, and I sell, and I accept a small probability of
lawsuits, something that I am aware of and try to minimize.

If I spent my life paralyzed with fear about meritless lawsuits, I
think that I would not accomplish as much as is possible,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Based on the pic you linked to, any one foolish enough to shoot at your
target is likely to have ricochets coming back at them. Maybe you should
study other such devices before marketing this one.

Better yet, fire a few pellets directly at it and see where they go.
Don't bother being ready to jump, you can't move fast enough.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

They will magically deflect away from the shooter. the magnetic field from
the C clamp handle will guarantee that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Have you ever tried shooting at a flat steel plate with a .22 rimfire?
I have. I used to shoot at an indoor range in Bangor Maine that used
essentially what Iggy designed. It was a 50 ft. range and there was no
back spatter.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

And do not forget about the plywood in front.