Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Liability dangers in making a "portable gun target"

On 5/26/2013 5:52 PM, Ignoramus7288 wrote:
I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

It is junk because it is warped, I would say, it is about 1/2 inch out
of flat. So I cannot, in good conscience, weld it to a base and call
it a welding table.

So, I thought for a while, what can I do with it?

Yesterday, I made a portable gun target plate on wheels for myself from
another steel plate. This one is 3/4 inch thick and appx. 40x40
inches, and it works great for rimfire rifles.

It made me think about this and I thought, how about I make and sell a
portable gnu target from the big plate, by welding a base on casters
underneath.

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

I built some thing like that almost 20 years ago for my own use from a
30x30x1" mild steel plate mounted on a 2x4 pressure treated wood frame
that positioned the plate at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Stuck it on my deer land with the back against a slope, marked off 100
and 200 yard shooting stations and had at it. I only fired a few 30'06
FMJ, as they left pocks in the metal, but soft points dodn't bother it.
Someday I should mine the spot under it for the lead.

David