Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

Default 1/8" or 1/4" black tape? Making "stained glass"

I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and 1/4"
wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained glass.
Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and 1/4"
wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained glass.
Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

Go to a store that sells doll houses and accessories. They have an
aluminum tape that is used as electric circuits in doll houses (taped
to doll house walls before covering it with wallpaper. The doll house
lamp wires and pointed plugs are just stuck into the wall so they
contact the tape). I have used the 1/4" size, but I don't know if they
have it any thinner. You could cut it down the middle.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and 1/4"
wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained glass.
Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

Apply some painter's tape and paint it black. Trim out joints with a
razor blade, prior to painting, where the lines cross. Acryllic paint
should be easy to scrape off smoothe glass with a razor blade scraper.
There is stuff at hobby stores - Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics - that is
applied like caulk and makes a raised "lead" line, but I've never used
it. There is also a gel medium, at the same stores or art stores - that
is used to thicken and raise artist's acryllics; it might make your lead
lines look more real; also have metallic color acryllic paints to mix
with it. You can use a thinning medium with acryllic paint for the
colored "glass" part of your project, but would take a bit of
experimenting.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and 1/4"
wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained glass.
Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

Do you really want it dead flat like electrical tape? That's going to
look fake, not faux. Check out Decra Led - it's a self-adhesive lead
tape with a profile and is a good way to go for the leaded glass look
(stained glass is colored glass). The stuff isn't dirt cheap like
electrical tape, but it will last far longer and look far better. If
you want it black you can use one of the brush on chemical patination
liquids.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide
and 1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some
faux stained glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in
those widths.
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

That is likely not tape, but adhesive three dimensional cane (lead).

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

Depending on what you are going to put it on, try the auto parts store
for some pin-striping tape.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
nhurst

I've used this stuff: Redi Lead:
http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...ead-Strips.htm
It's lasted on some glass ornaments I've used for 2 or 3 years without
a problem. You get 21 or 24 feet of the stuff for less than $6

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

Noozer wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for
1/8" wide and 1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm
using it to make some faux stained glass. Electrical tape
should work - IF they made it in those widths.

Google for "chart tape."

--
-- Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Noozer wrote:
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

That is likely not tape, but adhesive three dimensional cane (lead).

Hey Joe. It's actually called came - don't ask me why. Cane would
make sense, came doesn't, but since I didn't get to vote, it's came.
Go figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

RicodJour wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Noozer wrote:
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

That is likely not tape, but adhesive three dimensional cane
(lead).

Hey Joe. It's actually called came - don't ask me why. Cane would
make sense, came doesn't, but since I didn't get to vote, it's came.
Go figure.

I knew I was likely to miss on that one when I wrote it. I guess I
should have checked.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Joseph Meehan wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Noozer wrote:
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

That is likely not tape, but adhesive three dimensional cane
(lead).

Hey Joe. It's actually called came - don't ask me why. Cane would
make sense, came doesn't, but since I didn't get to vote, it's came.
Go figure.

I knew I was likely to miss on that one when I wrote it. I guess I
should have checked.

C'mon, Giuseppe, if you made _no_ mistakes it'd make the rest of us
feel bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide
and 1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some
faux stained glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in
those widths.
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

I was just at Staples and in the art-sign area they had tape of various
widths and colors. After seeing that, it reminded me I have seen even wider
selections in hobby - craft stores. A true hobby shop will also have it,
for use on models.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
GotBonus?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide
and 1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some
faux stained glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in
those widths.
I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

I was just at Staples and in the art-sign area they had tape of various
widths and colors. After seeing that, it reminded me I have seen even
wider selections in hobby - craft stores. A true hobby shop will also
have it, for use on models.

Check the discount auto stores for rolls of press on pin-striping.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Stein

"Steve" wrote in message
Noozer wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for
1/8" wide and 1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm
using it to make some faux stained glass. Electrical tape
should work - IF they made it in those widths.

Any office supply store (OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Staples, etc.) should have
it.

Google for "chart tape."

--
-- Steve

--
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"Noozer" wrote in message
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and
1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained
glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

Thanks all!

I'm sure that "chart tape" won't be permanent on glass and should do the
job.

I'll do some more digging for "came" as well. I haven't had much luck
finding something here in Calgary, or for order in Canada.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Noozer wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and
1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained
glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

Thanks all!

I'm sure that "chart tape" won't be permanent on glass and should do the
job.

Not too much would be truly permanent on glass. The brand of chart
tape I'm familiar with is ChartPak
http://www.chartpak.com/index2.html
Their retailers in Calgary:

Lewiscraft - Chinook Centre
(403)212-4020 6455 Macleod Trail South
2174 N
Calgary, AB T2H 0K3

Lewiscraft - Marlborough Mall
(403) 285-6132 1141-3800 Memorial Drive Way
NE Unit 2a
Calgary, AB T2A 2K2

Michaels - Calgary, AB
(403) 246-3336 5588 Signal Hill Centre SW
Calgary, AB T3H 3P8

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and
1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained
glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

If automotive pinstripping tape will work for what you want it should be
cheap enough. Tereis usally a rack of it at most auto parts stores

Posted to alt.home.repair
CC

Try this link to Delphi Stained Glass supplies. 108' roll black back copper
foil in various sizes for around $5.00/roll

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...urnTo=itemList

If you do not want the copper color then buy a small bottle of one of the
patina's to change the foil
appearance to what you need. black, antique, brass, etc.

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emList&stage=2

cc

" wrote in message

"Noozer" wrote in message
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and
1/4" wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux
stained glass. Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those
widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

If automotive pinstripping tape will work for what you want it should be
cheap enough. Tereis usally a rack of it at most auto parts stores

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. Bob Woodworking 14 June 5th 04 09:22 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM