Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default 1/8" or 1/4" black tape? Making "stained glass"

Noozer wrote:
I've tried Google, but end up with too many bad hits...

I'm trying to figure out what to ask for when looking for 1/8" wide and 1/4"
wide black "pinstriping" tape. I'm using it to make some faux stained glass.
Electrical tape should work - IF they made it in those widths.

I've been able to located the actual tape made by stained glass kit
companies, but at $5.00 for 2 feet, that's a bit outrageous.

My only real concern is how easy will it be to remove later on.

Any suggestions?

Apply some painter's tape and paint it black. Trim out joints with a
razor blade, prior to painting, where the lines cross. Acryllic paint
should be easy to scrape off smoothe glass with a razor blade scraper.
There is stuff at hobby stores - Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics - that is
applied like caulk and makes a raised "lead" line, but I've never used
it. There is also a gel medium, at the same stores or art stores - that
is used to thicken and raise artist's acryllics; it might make your lead
lines look more real; also have metallic color acryllic paints to mix
with it. You can use a thinning medium with acryllic paint for the
colored "glass" part of your project, but would take a bit of
experimenting.