Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16320 Ignoramus16320 is offline

Default Liability dangers in making a "portable gun target"

On 2013-05-28, John B wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2013 21:17:02 -0500, "David R. Birch"

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2013 09:40:40 -0500, Ignoramus26072

On 2013-05-27, Larry Jaques wrote:
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

In this litigious society, I'd be very cautious selling something like
that. Word the ad "Some people use these for rifle targets." and then
put a disclaimer of some sort, maybe? All sorts of crazies sue people
with absolutely no hope of winning, but it can still cost their
victims (tens of?) thousands of dollars to defend against it.

I am not, generally, worrying about being sued by some crazy person
who files a meritless lawsuit. It happens randomly anyway, and I do
have money to defend myself.

What I am concerned about is someone suing me and winning a lawsuit.

That would be enough to keep me from selling it as such. Even
meritless lawsuits are won. Look at the McDonalds coffee fiasco.
The judge remittiturred the case, but it still cost them several
hundred thousand dollars for the twit's medical bills.

If you live your life so afraid of such things, you will never make
any money. I buy, and I sell, and I accept a small probability of
lawsuits, something that I am aware of and try to minimize.

If I spent my life paralyzed with fear about meritless lawsuits, I
think that I would not accomplish as much as is possible,

Based on the pic you linked to, any one foolish enough to shoot at your
target is likely to have ricochets coming back at them. Maybe you should
study other such devices before marketing this one.

Better yet, fire a few pellets directly at it and see where they go.
Don't bother being ready to jump, you can't move fast enough.

David

Have you ever tried shooting at a flat steel plate with a .22 rimfire?
I have. I used to shoot at an indoor range in Bangor Maine that used
essentially what Iggy designed. It was a 50 ft. range and there was no
back spatter.

And do not forget about the plywood in front.