Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liability dangers in making a "portable gun target"

On Sun, 26 May 2013 17:52:17 -0500, Ignoramus7288
wrote:

I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

It is junk because it is warped, I would say, it is about 1/2 inch out
of flat. So I cannot, in good conscience, weld it to a base and call
it a welding table.

So, I thought for a while, what can I do with it?

If it were plywood, it would be great for a skimboard. But, given the
weight, that's out. Maybe undercoat the cab of your truck with it to
protect against IEDs?

Yesterday, I made a portable gun target plate on wheels for myself from
another steel plate. This one is 3/4 inch thick and appx. 40x40
inches, and it works great for rimfire rifles.

Most steel plate is too soft for any -real- caliber of bullets, and
most .22 shooters wouldn't buy something very expensive.

It made me think about this and I thought, how about I make and sell a
portable gnu target from the big plate, by welding a base on casters
underneath.

Who's going to drag a large, heavy plate out into the boonies for
shooting? Most folks don't have paved ranges, but I guess it's
possible.

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

In this litigious society, I'd be very cautious selling something like
that. Word the ad "Some people use these for rifle targets." and then
put a disclaimer of some sort, maybe? All sorts of crazies sue people
with absolutely no hope of winning, but it can still cost their
victims (tens of?) thousands of dollars to defend against it.

--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,