Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Liability dangers in making a "portable gun target"

On Sun, 26 May 2013 20:41:38 -0500, Ignoramus7288

On 2013-05-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 17:52:17 -0500, Ignoramus7288
wrote:

I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

It is junk because it is warped, I would say, it is about 1/2 inch out
of flat. So I cannot, in good conscience, weld it to a base and call
it a welding table.

So, I thought for a while, what can I do with it?

Yesterday, I made a portable gun target plate on wheels for myself from
another steel plate. This one is 3/4 inch thick and appx. 40x40
inches, and it works great for rimfire rifles.

It made me think about this and I thought, how about I make and sell a
portable gnu target from the big plate, by welding a base on casters
underneath.

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

None whatsoever. Any idea of what that plate is made from? S7 for
example?

A36, as I said

The range I use only allows AR500 steel targets. They were using a
lot of them a few weeks ago. I visited the state 3-gun championship
with one of my sons. There were 12 stages and hundreds of
competitors, including the USMC combat shooting team. Fun.

Pete Keillor

It would make a very good pistol gong at long range..less good a rifle
goog. Unless its A500 or similar..a centerfire will pock it up pretty
badly over time.

I get about a year out of a 12x18 piece of 3/4" plate at 600 or
greater yards..but its "normal steel" not A500

Drill a hole in the upper two corners add 18" of chain to each hole
and sell it as a gong.

Got any 1000 yrd ranges in your area?

No 1000 yard ranges, no. I think that a 1 1/4 inch plate will last
significantly longer than 3/4 plates or thereabouts. A plate this
thick will dissipate the energy much better.