Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liability dangers in making a "portable gun target"

On Sun, 26 May 2013 20:41:38 -0500, Ignoramus7288

On 2013-05-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 17:52:17 -0500, Ignoramus7288
wrote:

I have a junk steel plate approximately 1 1/4 inch thick, 40x40 inches
in size.

It is junk because it is warped, I would say, it is about 1/2 inch out
of flat. So I cannot, in good conscience, weld it to a base and call
it a welding table.

So, I thought for a while, what can I do with it?

Yesterday, I made a portable gun target plate on wheels for myself from
another steel plate. This one is 3/4 inch thick and appx. 40x40
inches, and it works great for rimfire rifles.

It made me think about this and I thought, how about I make and sell a
portable gnu target from the big plate, by welding a base on casters
underneath.

The question and concern is, what sort of liability can I potentially
be exposed to if something goes wrong. Say, a bullet ricochets and
kills a kitten a mile away, or whatever. Any comments are welcome.

None whatsoever. Any idea of what that plate is made from? S7 for
example?

A36, as I said

Where?

http://www.steel-plate-sheet.com/Ste...7-A37-RCI.html

It would make a very good pistol gong at long range..less good a rifle
goog. Unless its A500 or similar..a centerfire will pock it up pretty
badly over time.

I get about a year out of a 12x18 piece of 3/4" plate at 600 or
greater yards..but its "normal steel" not A500

Drill a hole in the upper two corners add 18" of chain to each hole
and sell it as a gong.

Got any 1000 yrd ranges in your area?

No 1000 yard ranges, no. I think that a 1 1/4 inch plate will last
significantly longer than 3/4 plates or thereabouts. A plate this
thick will dissipate the energy much better.

Well..it will take more rounds before its penetrated. But dissipate
energy? No. It will blow pretty good sized divots in it that go deeper
and deeper. As the divits multiply..they will blow back material at
the shooter. Probably not reach them...but....might.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."