Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oddball die wanted

I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/?nav...027+4288130142
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

For some reason I cannot reply to Cross-Slide-Thank you, that is just what I need!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry fired this volley in
:

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct
me to

a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size?
It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new
threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

For some reason I cannot reply to Cross-Slide-Thank you, that is just
what I need!

Gerry,
Since you call it a "dienut", and we on the west side of the pond call it
a "die", I presume you're UK?

http://www.tracytools.com/index.php?...&product_id=76

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 May 2013 14:22:56 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

Try your local gunsmith. It's used on gun barrels. Oh, here ya go.
$26.44, delivered. (hmm, + $15.25 to UK) Google is your friend:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-16-28-Thre...-/150989525615

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19/05/13 01:08, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gerry fired this volley in
:

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:22:56 PM UTC-5, Gerry wrote:
I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct
me to

a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size?
It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new
threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

For some reason I cannot reply to Cross-Slide-Thank you, that is just
what I need!

Gerry,
Since you call it a "dienut", and we on the west side of the pond call it
a "die", I presume you're UK?

http://www.tracytools.com/index.php?...&product_id=76

Lloyd

That link shows a split die which is different to a dienut. A dienut is
typically hexagonal and used to clean up existing threads, some here
http://www.avontapdie.co.uk/die-nuts .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/18/2013 5:22 PM, Gerry wrote:
...It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, ...

If there is not much cleaning to be done, if the threads don't need to
be real pretty, and if you have a 9/16-28 nut, you can use the nut to
clean them up by using a hacksaw blade to put a few teeth on the nut's
threads. But then, who has a 9/16-28 nut?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington fired this volley in
:

That link shows a split die which is different to a dienut. A dienut is
typically hexagonal and used to clean up existing threads, some here
http://www.avontapdie.co.uk/die-nuts .

If you read the included text, you'll note they _also_ carry "die-nuts".
(and that's called an "adjustable die"...)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

But then, who has a 9/16-28 nut?

Pretty much any gunsmith worth his salt would have 9/16-28 thread chasing
equipment. I wonder if the op has enough use for it to require buying the
tool, or if a trip to a smith would be more effective.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The only size close I found at Brownells was 9/16x24. Spent years gunsmithing and never needed a 9/16x28. I rebuild MGB steering columns as a sideline business and some columns use 9/16x28 threads to attach the steering wheel.. Often columns come to me with buggered threads from people using a hammer and backed off nut to jar steering wheel off the shaft. I usually have to turn down the first thread or two in order to be able to reuse the old threads. Way too much trouble to set up to pick up the thread and recut in my lathe-less trouble to remove the threaded section of the shaft and replace it with new. So yes, I do have enough need to purchase the proper size die. Thanks to all who responded

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry fired this volley in news:b9846ec9-f151-4a6e-
:

Spent years gunsmithing and never needed a 9/16x28

common flash-suppressor thread
LS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 May 2013 06:31:44 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

The only size close I found at Brownells was 9/16x24. Spent years gunsmithing and never needed a 9/16x28. I rebuild MGB steering columns as a sideline business and some columns use 9/16x28 threads to attach the steering wheel. Often columns come to me with buggered threads from people using a hammer and backed off nut to jar steering wheel off the shaft. I usually have to turn down the first thread or two in order to be able to reuse the old threads. Way too much trouble to set up to pick up the thread and recut in my lathe-less trouble to remove the threaded section of the shaft and replace it with new. So yes, I do have enough need to purchase the proper size die. Thanks to all who responded

Actually...its fairly easy to pick up a thread on a lathe,
particularly fine threads. You just have to take out any backlash
while finding the thread.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not easy to pick up thread on these jobs because after years of abuse the threaded ends of these MGB columns are almost never true. Chuck it in my lathe and they wobble too much to be able to recut the threads with a single point tool. The threaded end of the shaft gets bent by people using a hammer beating on the end of the shaft to remove the steering wheel from it's splined shaft and tapered seat. Hence the need of a dienut to clean damaged threads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/18/2013 17:22, Gerry wrote:
I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

Surprised nobody mentioned thread files. Extremely affordable, works
great with a lathe.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:18:26 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gerry fired this volley in news:b9846ec9-f151-4a6e-
:

Spent years gunsmithing and never needed a 9/16x28

common flash-suppressor thread
LS

But until the relatively recent love affair with the M-16 flash
suppressor's were un-common :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:26:58 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 5/18/2013 17:22, Gerry wrote:
I am looking for an oddball size dienut-9/16"-28. Can anyone direct me to a source or perhaps someone who will custom make a dienut this size? It will be used for cleaning up existing threads, not cutting new threads. I really do not want to try to make on myself.....

Surprised nobody mentioned thread files. Extremely affordable, works
great with a lathe.

Very true! Ive just never seen a thread file in -28 before. Ive got a
bunch of thread files..both standard and metric..but none in 28 tpi

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Very true! Ive just never seen a thread file in -28 before. Ive got a
bunch of thread files..both standard and metric..but none in 28 tpi

Snap-on sells a set of three that specifically calls out 28tpi as one of
the 'fit' threads. (9-32tpi, and several metric sizes).

Of course, Snap-on is always pricey, but their tools are always being
dumped by someone in debt and looking for a quick buck.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:14:08 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Very true! Ive just never seen a thread file in -28 before. Ive got a
bunch of thread files..both standard and metric..but none in 28 tpi

Snap-on sells a set of three that specifically calls out 28tpi as one of
the 'fit' threads. (9-32tpi, and several metric sizes).

Of course, Snap-on is always pricey, but their tools are always being
dumped by someone in debt and looking for a quick buck.

Lloyd

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

I'm certain that NObody _wants_ too many tools.
Some folks would be inclined to get rid of too many tools.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

Sheesh! I plonked that buttbite years ago. bTMTeg

Good thread wander, BTW.

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 20 May 2013
03:11:22 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

"Needs"? The only time I have too many tools is when I have to
move them.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

I'm certain that NObody _wants_ too many tools.
Some folks would be inclined to get rid of too many tools.

That's how I got a few of my expensive tools. I got a call, "Come
get this out of my way today, and it's free!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

"Needs"? The only time I have too many tools is when I have to
move them.

Tell me about it. I hauled 17,000 pounds of tools & manuals when I
moved south. Two trips in an overloaded stepvan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

Sheesh! I plonked that buttbite years ago. bTMTeg

Good thread wander, BTW.

Too bad Usenet doesn't keep track of how many times someone is kill
filed on a group to determine if they are allowed to access that group.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

That can be taken several different ways, depending if you are
referring to Too Many Tools as a personal pronoun or a general
statement on Stuff... (ISWYDT.)

Let's re-phrase that as "Most people don't need multiple duplicates or
mass quantities of unusual tools that only need to be used one at a
time."

Now having spares of special tools that can break on you during use,
can't be substituted around, and have a weeks-long lead time to get a
new one, yes.

But having a dozen 4" angle grinders or sparkplug thread chasers is
pointless. When it breaks, just go down to the Borg and get another.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 20 May 2013
13:43:21 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

"Needs"? The only time I have too many tools is when I have to
move them.

Tell me about it. I hauled 17,000 pounds of tools & manuals when I
moved south. Two trips in an overloaded stepvan.

Tools, books, supplies ... I've a quarter ton of fire brick I've
schlepped from place to place - always intending to do something with
them "soon".
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

Sheesh! I plonked that buttbite years ago. bTMTeg

Good thread wander, BTW.

Too bad Usenet doesn't keep track of how many times someone is kill
filed on a group to determine if they are allowed to access that group.

The problem is the trolls that nym shift with such regularity.
Like the mental case that uses the names from my Facebook friends list
on a rotating basis. Ive had to go through my Facebook page and set
up a killfile here and enter each name.

Ive showed time and again his various incarnations.

He will not die well. No siree!

VBG

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:42:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

I'm certain that NObody _wants_ too many tools.
Some folks would be inclined to get rid of too many tools.

That's how I got a few of my expensive tools. I got a call, "Come
get this out of my way today, and it's free!"

My shop is filled with such tools. I purely couldnt afford 25% of all
that I have, if I had to pay cash for them.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Assuming you have a regular and sufficient income, and not one that
comes in spurts between dry spells. When you have spurts..you snag
what you can..because the dry spells mean you dont buy anything.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Tools, books, supplies ... I've a quarter ton of fire brick I've
schlepped from place to place - always intending to do something with
them "soon".

It would make a nice pit to burn expired trolls in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Too bad Usenet doesn't keep track of how many times someone is kill
filed on a group to determine if they are allowed to access that group.

The problem is the trolls that nym shift with such regularity.
Like the mental case that uses the names from my Facebook friends list
on a rotating basis. Ive had to go through my Facebook page and set
up a killfile here and enter each name.

I've shown time and again his various incarnations.

He will not die well. No siree!

VBG

A lot of them post from fixed IP addresses. It's simple to route
those posts to 127.0.0.0.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

I'm certain that NObody _wants_ too many tools.
Some folks would be inclined to get rid of too many tools.

That's how I got a few of my expensive tools. I got a call, "Come
get this out of my way today, and it's free!"

My shop is filled with such tools. I purely couldnt afford 25% of all
that I have, if I had to pay cash for them.

One man's trash is another man's paycheck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

That can be taken several different ways, depending if you are
referring to Too Many Tools as a personal pronoun or a general
statement on Stuff... (ISWYDT.)

That would be an 'Impersonal pronoun', wouldn't it? Heaven forbid
that anyone try to elevate a worthless troll to that of a 'Person'.

Let's re-phrase that as "Most people don't need multiple duplicates or
mass quantities of unusual tools that only need to be used one at a
time."

What? Five identical soldering irons are overkill? Or just good
planning by having a different tip in each iron? ;-)

Now having spares of special tools that can break on you during use,
can't be substituted around, and have a weeks-long lead time to get a
new one, yes.

Working spares are cheap insurance. Who wants to spend $10 on
gasoline, to find a single drill bit that sells for $10?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/20/2013 03:11, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks! Ill have to double check my file pitches and if I dont have
one...will have to snag one somewhere. Im pretty sure I
dont....but...need to double check

Make sure you do double check, since no one needs too many tools...

Pun intended? G

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 May 2013 17:05:40 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Too bad Usenet doesn't keep track of how many times someone is kill
filed on a group to determine if they are allowed to access that group.

The problem is the trolls that nym shift with such regularity.
Like the mental case that uses the names from my Facebook friends list
on a rotating basis. Ive had to go through my Facebook page and set
up a killfile here and enter each name.

I've shown time and again his various incarnations.

He will not die well. No siree!

VBG

A lot of them post from fixed IP addresses. It's simple to route
those posts to 127.0.0.0.

Which is why I forward the header information to those keeping the
List. That fixed IP is what is gonna kill them.

VBG

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Too bad Usenet doesn't keep track of how many times someone is kill
filed on a group to determine if they are allowed to access that group.

The problem is the trolls that nym shift with such regularity.
Like the mental case that uses the names from my Facebook friends list
on a rotating basis. Ive had to go through my Facebook page and set
up a killfile here and enter each name.

I've shown time and again his various incarnations.

He will not die well. No siree!

VBG

A lot of them post from fixed IP addresses. It's simple to route
those posts to 127.0.0.0.

Which is why I forward the header information to those keeping the
List. That fixed IP is what is gonna kill them.

You said that MY header info was going to get me killed... about 2
years ago! If you can't get me or TMT then what good are your "bounty
hunting" skills, clown.