Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oddball die wanted

On Sun, 19 May 2013 06:31:44 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

The only size close I found at Brownells was 9/16x24. Spent years gunsmithing and never needed a 9/16x28. I rebuild MGB steering columns as a sideline business and some columns use 9/16x28 threads to attach the steering wheel. Often columns come to me with buggered threads from people using a hammer and backed off nut to jar steering wheel off the shaft. I usually have to turn down the first thread or two in order to be able to reuse the old threads. Way too much trouble to set up to pick up the thread and recut in my lathe-less trouble to remove the threaded section of the shaft and replace it with new. So yes, I do have enough need to purchase the proper size die. Thanks to all who responded

Actually...its fairly easy to pick up a thread on a lathe,
particularly fine threads. You just have to take out any backlash
while finding the thread.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."