Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need oddball bolt: 1/2" x 12 TPI

Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Thanks in advance...

('reply to' is spam-trapped, use the address below)

Carla

carla (at) 97381 (dot) com

completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/22/2010 6:58 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Have you tried an M14x2 in it? Nominal inch dimensions .55 diameter and
12.7 tpi?

Thanks in advance...

('reply to' is spam-trapped, use the address below)

Carla

carla (at) 97381 (dot) com

completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 9/22/2010 6:58 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Have you tried an M14x2 in it? Nominal inch dimensions .55 diameter and
12.7 tpi?

Anything "pre 1900, American-made" is vanishingly unlikely to have metric
threads.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/22/2010 04:42 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , "J. wrote:
On 9/22/2010 6:58 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Have you tried an M14x2 in it? Nominal inch dimensions .55 diameter and
12.7 tpi?

Anything "pre 1900, American-made" is vanishingly unlikely to have metric
threads.

Unless, perhaps, it was built by a French family displaced by Royalists
after the revolution.

My bet is on 1/2-12.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made) Chandler
and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of odd bolts.
1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Thanks in advance...

('reply to' is spam-trapped, use the address below)

Carla

carla (at) 97381 (dot) com

completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

That's a British Standard Witworth or BSW thread. You can find the bolts in
the USA he
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/22/2010 05:34 PM, anorton wrote:

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Thanks in advance...

('reply to' is spam-trapped, use the address below)

Carla

carla (at) 97381 (dot) com

completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

That's a British Standard Witworth or BSW thread. You can find the bolts
in the USA he
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I was going to say "Not if it was pre-1900" -- but Whitworth was a
standard by 1841!!!

Double-check the thread form, though -- just because the threads are
pointy doesn't mean that they're 60 degree (or 55 degree, for that matter).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I thought flashing/blinking text was annoying, but the rotating bolts
there are MUCH worse. I would have to be absolutely desperate to order
anything there.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 6:17*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
anorton wrote:

http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I thought flashing/blinking text was annoying, but the rotating bolts
there are MUCH worse. *I would have to be absolutely desperate to order
anything there.

Bob

I just had to look! I concur with your conclusion.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 9/22/2010 6:58 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Have you tried an M14x2 in it? Nominal inch dimensions .55 diameter and
12.7 tpi?

Anything "pre 1900, American-made" is vanishingly unlikely to have metric
threads.

Unless, perhaps, it was built by a French family displaced by Royalists
after the revolution.

My bet is on 1/2-12.

I didn't say I thought it was a metric thread, I said try an M14x2.0.
Maybe it will fit, maybe it won't. If it won't, you're out

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" writes:

On Sep 22, 6:17Â*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
anorton wrote:

http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I thought flashing/blinking text was annoying, but the rotating bolts
there are MUCH worse. Â*I would have to be absolutely desperate to order
anything there.

I just had to look! I concur with your conclusion.

Funny that one of the most successful interfaces on the internet is
google.com, and so few web designers take the hint.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
anorton wrote:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I thought flashing/blinking text was annoying, but the rotating bolts
there are MUCH worse. I would have to be absolutely desperate to order
anything there.

I see that you're using Thunderbird, so likely also FireFox. Is
there a way to turn off animated gifs in there? There is in Opera.

Edit-Site-Preferences/Content/Enable animated images

offers a check box to turn on or off. I have it off until I feel that i
need it -- like Javascript, java, and flash.

Having turned it on to see what was there -- I agree that it is
offensive. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
anorton wrote:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I thought flashing/blinking text was annoying, but the rotating bolts
there are MUCH worse. I would have to be absolutely desperate to
order anything there.

Hit the "ESC" button to stop animated .gifs on a webpage.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work to stop flash.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:34:31 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
anorton wrote:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php?crn=40

I thought flashing/blinking text was annoying, but the rotating bolts
there are MUCH worse. I would have to be absolutely desperate to order
anything there.

Hit the "ESC" button to stop animated .gifs on a webpage.

Well, I'll be! Thanks!

Oddly, however, I didn't find the twirling bolts that obnoxious - I
thought it was kinda cute. shrug

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:
Hit the "ESC" button to stop animated .gifs on a webpage.

Thank you! How did you happen to know that?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Which is of course a metric thread...

Maybe it will fit,

... and if it fits, then the hole it fits into is *also* threaded with a
metric thread -- which, as I said, is vanishingly unlikely for anything made
in the United States in the 19th century.

maybe it won't. If it won't, you're out

When was the last time you succeeded in inserting a 0.55" bolt into a 0.50"
hole?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
(Doug Miller) writes:

In article , "J. Clarke"

wrote:
On 9/22/2010 6:58 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Have you tried an M14x2 in it? Nominal inch dimensions .55 diameter and
12.7 tpi?

Anything "pre 1900, American-made" is vanishingly unlikely to have metric
threads.

The idea was it might be close enough to work.

The bolt's bigger than the hole.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Ive just looked up my Zeus thread chart, and as I thought, what your
after is 1/2in B S whitworth threaded bolts.
Ive plenty!! but of course the snag is im in te UK where BSW threads
were used and still are on old machinery repair work.
Im pretty sure I could find some to match your need , and they would
be free to you apart from the postage from the UK.
Any help? to you?
The Chandler and Price guillotine may well be UK made tho.
Frater
In
Dorset
UK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 2:17*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Hit the "ESC" button to stop animated .gifs on a webpage.

Thank you! *How did you happen to know that?

Bob

ESC generally halts the current download. I use it whenever a site
responds sluggishly or is overloaded with ads. ALT+[left arrow]
restores the previous page, like[BACK].

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/23/2010 11:18 PM, Ted Frater wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Actually, according to the Wikipedia article on Whitworth, it was used
in the US until the early 1900's, when we adopted our own standard.
IIRC, we changed the thread form from a pointy 55 degree to a flat-top
60 degree, but for the most part the 'merican coarse thread sizes match
Whitworth -- with the exception of 1/2 inch, where we chose 1/2-13
instead of 1/2-12.

Mebbe someone on the committee had been beaten up by a lathe maker at
some point, or just thought 13 tooth gears were lucky?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1/2"X 12 TPI is British Standard Whitworth.
I have no idea where you could find them in the U.S.
If you decide to turn them, note that the thread angle is 55 degrees not
60.

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made) Chandler
and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of odd bolts.
1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Thanks in advance...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grumpy" wrote in message
. au...
1/2"X 12 TPI is British Standard Whitworth.
I have no idea where you could find them in the U.S.
If you decide to turn them, note that the thread angle is 55 degrees not
60.

whitworth taps are commonly available - I happen to have some because of
british cars, but they are not at all hard to find - and ebay is a source
for them cheap -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:46:48 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Grumpy" wrote in message
.au...
1/2"X 12 TPI is British Standard Whitworth.
I have no idea where you could find them in the U.S.
If you decide to turn them, note that the thread angle is 55 degrees not
60.

whitworth taps are commonly available - I happen to have some because of
british cars, but they are not at all hard to find - and ebay is a source
for them cheap -

They may not be Whitworth. I measured a tap I have here that's marked
1/2-12 USF and it's definitely a 60 degree thread. I've no idea what
USF stands for -- perhaps it's related to the old USS (United States
Standard) thread.

I repaired an old 36" bandsaw that used 1/2-12 fasteners and had to
single point several replacement bolts. The saw was probably late 19th
century. Old enough that the wheels had steel spokes and steam bent
oak rims.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I see it in Machinery's Handbook - defined as :

Designating UNS Threads.—UNS screw threads which have special combinations of
diameter and pitch with tolerance to Unified formulation have the basic form
designation set out first followed always by the limits of size.

The pitch diameter tolerances used in Table 3 for all classes of the UNEF,
12-UN, 16-UN, 20-UN, 28-UN, and 32-UN series and the UNS series, are based on a
length of engagement of 9 pitches and are applicable for lengths of engagement
of from 5 to 15 pitches.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/24/2010 11:03 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:46:48 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

wrote in message
. au...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 6:58:58 PM UTC-4, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Thanks in advance...
The 1/2"-12 tpi it is used on most 6" wheel bench grinders, both left and right hand threads.