Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Need oddball bolt: 1/2" x 12 TPI

In article , "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 9/22/2010 7:45 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 09/22/2010 04:42 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , "J.
wrote:
On 9/22/2010 6:58 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi everyone -

I've got a repair project on an ancient (pre 1900, American-made)
Chandler and Price guillotine paper cutter that I'm short a couple of
odd bolts. 1/2" diameter, 12 TPI. (Yes, 12, not 13)

Before I turn them out on the lathe, does anyone by any chance have
anything like this (about 3/4" long, or longer and I can cut them off)
they'd like to part with? I need three of them...

Have you tried an M14x2 in it? Nominal inch dimensions .55 diameter and
12.7 tpi?

Anything "pre 1900, American-made" is vanishingly unlikely to have metric
threads.

Unless, perhaps, it was built by a French family displaced by Royalists
after the revolution.

My bet is on 1/2-12.

I didn't say I thought it was a metric thread, I said try an M14x2.0.

Which is of course a metric thread...

Maybe it will fit,

... and if it fits, then the hole it fits into is *also* threaded with a
metric thread -- which, as I said, is vanishingly unlikely for anything made
in the United States in the 19th century.

maybe it won't. If it won't, you're out

When was the last time you succeeded in inserting a 0.55" bolt into a 0.50"
hole?