Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shelby's new supercar

Hey, there must be some metal in there somewhere! But it's mostly a
pile of carbon fiber.

This is what the people at Shelby SuperCars have done with Shel's
Cobra legacy. They're building another car with a reptile's name
(Tuatara, an ugly beast -- the lizard, not the car, which is very
cool).

Think of it as the anti-EA, anti-whoyakidding, screw-you-everybody
vehicle. The mileage probably sucks. It only weighs 2750 pounds, but
it has (be still, my heart) 1.350 hp and produces 1,280 lb-ft. of
torque. They're actually fudging the horsepower, just like the Big
Three did with their 7-liter engines back in the '60s, to avoid
Congress's attention. The Tuatara engine actually can produce 1,700
hp.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds, theoretical top speed is 276 mph. No word yet of
a plug-in hybrid version...

http://tinyurl.com/b4ohmju

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're
crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 15, 8:02*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/29/s...ts-a-new-name/

"When you hear the Shelby name, the first person who comes to mind is
likely Carroll, father of the Cobra, racing legend, and a man still
involved in the development of performance Fords at nearly 90 years of
age.

You probably don't think of Jerod Shelby, even though his company,
Shelby SuperCars, has for years been building cars that compete for
the title of world's fastest. His latest creation, the Tuatara, might
steal the title back from the Bugatti Veyron, but in the meantime has
proven to be very popular in the Middle East.

Problem is, the automotive world isn't big enough for two companies
named after a Shelby, and so it has come to pass that Jerod's company
will change its name from Shelby SuperCars to SSC North America. The
switcheroo is reportedly a result of a settlement with Carroll Shelby
Licensing and Carroll Shelby International.

With that behind him, hopefully Jerod can get back to the Veyron-
beating business. His company has also just broken ground on the new
36,000-square-foot world headquarters and production facility in West
Richland, Washington we reported on a few months back."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
[...]

It seems Shelby Super Cars has no relation to Carroll Shelby at all. They
had to change their name to SSC for obvious reasons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_SuperCars

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2013 8:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're
crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

My '94 Escort will beat the pants off it on a Costco beer run... lol.

Seriously though, that's a nice looking car. Definitely in the "if ya
gotta ask, ya can't afford it" class. Hell, I probably couldn't afford a
tune up for something like that....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

Nah - nitromethane - it's a green fuel, right? d;^)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

SSC is a different company BUT A 6.9 that can turn close to 10K rpms!
That thing must be howling like a banshee...

I'm thinking it's probably not MPG you get but GPM...

Like the little speed indicator for the passenger, that could be fun
with some high strung types. Looks like you need to be a gymnast to get
in though if the body cuts are anything close to the entry areas.
Mirrors ruin it though. Would think they would have opted for a small
camera bubble on each side with a small display screen inside instead.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 5/15/2013 8:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're
crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

My '94 Escort will beat the pants off it on a Costco beer run... lol.

Seriously though, that's a nice looking car. Definitely in the "if ya
gotta ask, ya can't afford it" class. Hell, I probably couldn't afford a
tune up for something like that....

Jon

But if I don't ask how am I going to write the check?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2013 10:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Useless, no room for two deer and gear when I come back from the deer
harvest, no ground clearance for hidden rocks in the fields.

Also, twice as many wheels on the ground as needed for go fast feeling.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 May 2013 20:32:14 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Damn! Winding Road should have made that clear.

Oh, well. It's still a fascinating piece of work.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 May 2013 20:40:27 -0700, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 5/15/2013 8:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're
crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

My '94 Escort will beat the pants off it on a Costco beer run... lol.

Seriously though, that's a nice looking car. Definitely in the "if ya
gotta ask, ya can't afford it" class. Hell, I probably couldn't afford a
tune up for something like that....

Jon

It does look nice, doesn't it? And I don't always like the looks of
today's supercars. A lot of them look like they had just run out of
ideas, and this was all they could come up with.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 May 2013 23:02:13 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

[...]

No mention of the pushrods! At 9200 RPM surely there are at least two
sets.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the engine in this one is a quad-cam affair with dual turbos.
It's tall, although it looks like it has a dry sump to compensate.

However, they had an earlier version of it with pushrods. I didn't see
any rpm specs on that one but they must have needed the revs and
four-valve setup of quad cams to get all that horsepower.

The supercar race is becoming ridiculous. Apparently the sheiks in the
Middle Eastern oil countries are buying them up -- Maserattis,
Ferraris, McLarens, Bugattis, etc.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/16/2013 4:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

It does look nice, doesn't it? And I don't always like the looks of
today's supercars. A lot of them look like they had just run out of
ideas, and this was all they could come up with.

Sorta like a Lamborghini, a lot of 'aerodynamic' features that probably
have at least as much to do with appearance as with actual aerodynamics.
This really does have a clean sheet look to it.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 May 2013 10:23:29 -0700, janders
wrote:

On 5/16/2013 4:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

It does look nice, doesn't it? And I don't always like the looks of
today's supercars. A lot of them look like they had just run out of
ideas, and this was all they could come up with.

Sorta like a Lamborghini, a lot of 'aerodynamic' features that probably
have at least as much to do with appearance as with actual aerodynamics.
This really does have a clean sheet look to it.

Jon

Yes, the recent Lambos are definitely of that type. They don't look
like they could be aerodynamic at all -- the Lambo Veneno and
Aventador look like they have the aerodynamics of a squashed tomato
can -- but they apparently do well in the wind tunnel. I never forget
that Lamborghini originally was an agricultural tractor company. g

The new one from SSC looks much better to my eyes.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Hey, there must be some metal in there somewhere! But it's mostly a
pile of carbon fiber.

This is what the people at Shelby SuperCars have done with Shel's
Cobra legacy. They're building another car with a reptile's name
(Tuatara, an ugly beast -- the lizard, not the car, which is very
cool).

Think of it as the anti-EA, anti-whoyakidding, screw-you-everybody
vehicle.

Well, "anti-" in diff. senses, of course....
Anti-EA is, as you allude, bigdick hp....
Anti-Kidding is, well, anything that makes engineering sense, like, well,
superfluous multi-planetary gears in a $1+++ BIL """green""" science
project....

Ahhh, but hypocrisy is a glorious thing.
The FIRST thing I do in any car review is check out the hp..... LOL!!!!!!

Hennesey motors can take any 300-400 hp car, and give it back to you with
1,000-2,000 hp.
Preferably 'vettes.

The mileage probably sucks. It only weighs 2750 pounds, but
it has (be still, my heart) 1.350 hp and produces 1,280 lb-ft. of
torque. They're actually fudging the horsepower, just like the Big
Three did with their 7-liter engines back in the '60s, to avoid
Congress's attention. The Tuatara engine actually can produce 1,700
hp.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds, theoretical top speed is 276 mph. No word yet of
a plug-in hybrid version...

http://tinyurl.com/b4ohmju

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're
crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

Somebody had to kick Veyron's ass.
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 May 2013 14:01:44 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
Hey, there must be some metal in there somewhere! But it's mostly a
pile of carbon fiber.

This is what the people at Shelby SuperCars have done with Shel's
Cobra legacy. They're building another car with a reptile's name
(Tuatara, an ugly beast -- the lizard, not the car, which is very
cool).

Think of it as the anti-EA, anti-whoyakidding, screw-you-everybody
vehicle.

Well, "anti-" in diff. senses, of course....

You guys are arguing about automobile economy while this Shelby dude
is building megamillion supercars with 1350 horsepower, probably
getting worse milage than a loaded dump truck going up a hill, and all
I could think about was your...disagreement. g

[...]

I wonder, after you've poked the throttle a few times and blasted up
to 250 mph without killing yourself (problematic, at that), what you
do with the car next? Sell it?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Keep it in a 50 car garage, like Jay Leno, drive it once a year.

I wish they'd make these cars look like fukn CARS..... these things remind
me of the Aptera, ferchrissakes....
How bout a '70s vintage Plymouth Gran Fury or Dodge Charger or MonteCarlo
with 1700 hp??

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You're stuck in the past, EA. Not that I'm not g.

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it
unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I think a 1970 Charger with 1700 hp would weigh less than fuknKidding's
BloatVolt.
Might even get better gas mileage: Press the Charger's accelerator ONCE,
and it would proly COAST for 40 miles....
--
EA

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it
unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/18/2013 3:25 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I wish they'd make these cars look like fukn CARS..... these things remind
me of the Aptera, ferchrissakes....
How bout a '70s vintage Plymouth Gran Fury or Dodge Charger or MonteCarlo
with 1700 hp??

You're stuck in the past, EA. Not that I'm not g.

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it
unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

I wanna '68 fastback hemi 'Cuda that Transforms by raising to 10" ground
clearance so I can take it off road while deer hunting.

No 8 track, though, stock AM/FM customized to take an MP3 player input.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w9X5Io0mvk

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 May 2013 21:16:31 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 5/18/2013 3:25 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I wish they'd make these cars look like fukn CARS..... these things remind
me of the Aptera, ferchrissakes....
How bout a '70s vintage Plymouth Gran Fury or Dodge Charger or MonteCarlo
with 1700 hp??

You're stuck in the past, EA. Not that I'm not g.

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it
unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

I wanna '68 fastback hemi 'Cuda that Transforms by raising to 10" ground
clearance so I can take it off road while deer hunting.

Why don't you just get a halftrack and be done with it? Sports Car
Graphic, 40 years or so ago, proposed one to be made by Ferrari. g

BTW, you probably would have gotten along with the Citroen DS19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_DS

You just pushed a button and the sucker jacked up 10 inches on all
four wheels.

However, with all those curves, it was a bitch finding a place to lash
a deer, without it sliding off.

No 8 track, though, stock AM/FM customized to take an MP3 player input.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 May 2013 22:58:57 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
I wonder, after you've poked the throttle a few times and blasted up
to 250 mph without killing yourself (problematic, at that), what you
do with the car next? Sell it?
Keep it in a 50 car garage, like Jay Leno, drive it once a year.

I wish they'd make these cars look like fukn CARS..... these things remind
me of the Aptera, ferchrissakes....
How bout a '70s vintage Plymouth Gran Fury or Dodge Charger or MonteCarlo
with 1700 hp??

You're stuck in the past, EA. Not that I'm not g.

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it
unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w9X5Io0mvk

HA-HA! I'll bet he was inspired by the Lamborghini Veneno.

http://tinyurl.com/adcp5r3

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The SM had enough horizontal space for a moose.
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1970.../images/12367/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

But would it rise up on its suspension, like the DS?

BTW, I saw one of those SMs in Europe, and it attracted a lot of
attention. It was quite impressive. Then I saw another one in New
York, among a gaggle of other luxo-cars, and it looked less so. I
guess it looked best when parked next to a Renault R4....

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wanna '68 fastback hemi 'Cuda that Transforms by raising to 10" ground
clearance so I can take it off road while deer hunting.

Why don't you just get a halftrack and be done with it? Sports Car
Graphic, 40 years or so ago, proposed one to be made by Ferrari. g

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlttQ-_KNyM

Since I need a car that I can actually drive on roads, my '07 Outback
Sport fills the two deer and gear spec.

BTW, you probably would have gotten along with the Citroen DS19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_DS

You just pushed a button and the sucker jacked up 10 inches on all
four wheels.

However, with all those curves, it was a bitch finding a place to lash
a deer, without it sliding off.

There was a station wagon DS with roof rack...

Sometime in the early '60's, I went with my dad to look at a used DS for
sale. The most distinctive memory I have is that the seats were so soft
I sank into them and didn't like it much.

That car search ended up with the purchase of a '57 MG Magnette.

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It definitely rose, but I don't remember how much.

BTW, I saw one of those SMs in Europe, and it attracted a lot of
attention. It was quite impressive. Then I saw another one in New
York, among a gaggle of other luxo-cars, and it looked less so. I
guess it looked best when parked next to a Renault R4....

A friend had an SM. He rarely drove it but it sure looked good in his
garage. My experience was similar to yours, looked nice from a
distance, but up close it seemed cheap and poorly built. Of course
lots of cars were like that back then. It didn't help that my friends
had a leaky exhaust and was running like crap the only time I drove
it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wanna '68 fastback hemi 'Cuda that Transforms by raising to 10" ground
clearance so I can take it off road while deer hunting.

Why don't you just get a halftrack and be done with it? Sports Car
Graphic, 40 years or so ago, proposed one to be made by Ferrari. g

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlttQ-_KNyM

(ohmigod) Yeah, like that.

But if you're saving the deer hide, don't count on any hair being
left.

BTW, I have a friend in England, a motorsports fan, who talked with me
a decade or two ago about how ridiculous some of the motorsports
events were getting in the UK. Keep in mind that he was talking to
someone (me) who lives in the home of demolition derby and figure-8
racing. g

Anyway, there was a drag strip somewhere out here ( CT, I think) that
was running late-night commercials. Their big event was a jet truck
against a little Toyota truck.

But they didn't race down the track. The Toyota was lined up behind
the jet truck, the jet engine was started, and the competition was to
see how long it took for the Toyota to be completely incinerated.

I had to videotape the commercial and send it to him. I don't think he
believed me.

Since I need a car that I can actually drive on roads, my '07 Outback
Sport fills the two deer and gear spec.

BTW, you probably would have gotten along with the Citroen DS19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_DS

You just pushed a button and the sucker jacked up 10 inches on all
four wheels.

However, with all those curves, it was a bitch finding a place to lash
a deer, without it sliding off.

There was a station wagon DS with roof rack...

Sometime in the early '60's, I went with my dad to look at a used DS for
sale. The most distinctive memory I have is that the seats were so soft
I sank into them and didn't like it much.

That car search ended up with the purchase of a '57 MG Magnette.

Masochist, huh?

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

Here's the Magnette that I loved -- the K-3. I saw one at a vintage
race about ten years ago and fell in love with it. It really howls
with that little supercharged six.

The red one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_K-type

--
Ed Huntress

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wanna '68 fastback hemi 'Cuda that Transforms by raising to 10" ground
clearance so I can take it off road while deer hunting.

Why don't you just get a halftrack and be done with it? Sports Car
Graphic, 40 years or so ago, proposed one to be made by Ferrari. g

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlttQ-_KNyM

(ohmigod) Yeah, like that.

But if you're saving the deer hide, don't count on any hair being
left.

No point in saving hides anymore, the tanner I took my hides to, W. B.
Place, has shut down.

Sometime in the early '60's, I went with my dad to look at a used DS for
sale. The most distinctive memory I have is that the seats were so soft
I sank into them and didn't like it much.

That car search ended up with the purchase of a '57 MG Magnette.

Masochist, huh?

It got worse. When my little brother approached driving age, my dad
bought 2 TR3s, one a fixer upper and a worse one for parts. After he got
them home and worked on the better one, he found the worse one had
almost no parts in common with the better one. My brother worked on them
for a while, then stopped, probably because my dad tends to micromanage.

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

Here's the Magnette that I loved -- the K-3. I saw one at a vintage
race about ten years ago and fell in love with it. It really howls
with that little supercharged six.

The red one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_K-type

Cute. Prince of Darkness wiring?

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That sounds like Lebanon Valley Dragway type stuff.

That car search ended up with the purchase of a '57 MG Magnette.

Masochist, huh?

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

Here's the Magnette that I loved -- the K-3. I saw one at a vintage
race about ten years ago and fell in love with it. It really howls
with that little supercharged six.

The red one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_K-type

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 May 2013 15:34:27 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote:
[...]

'Could be. I don't remember much about it. It was a low-budget
commercial, shot at night. A long-haired guy wearing sunglasses came
on and made his pitch, and then you saw the scene of the jet car's
engine igniting and the Toyota bursting into flames.

Some "motorsport," huh? Jeez. It makes demolition derby look
sophisticated.

--
Ed Huntress

That car search ended up with the purchase of a '57 MG Magnette.

Masochist, huh?

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

Here's the Magnette that I loved -- the K-3. I saw one at a vintage
race about ten years ago and fell in love with it. It really howls
with that little supercharged six.

The red one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_K-type

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Sounds about right.
I place it in the same category as "monster truck (anything)"

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Eh, too bad. Those are really easy cars to work on. Everything is
bare-bones basic and easily accessible, except for the wet-sleeved
block. I liked the starter knob that just pulled a shorting bar to
activate the starter motor. That's my kind of basic engineering. g

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

Here's the Magnette that I loved -- the K-3. I saw one at a vintage
race about ten years ago and fell in love with it. It really howls
with that little supercharged six.

The red one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_K-type

Cute. Prince of Darkness wiring?

Who knows? That's a real oldie, from the days when MG was a big-time
international competitor. It could be house wiring...

It's smaller than it looks in the photo, BTW.

--
Ed Huntress

David