Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Shelby's new supercar

On Sun, 19 May 2013 15:34:27 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote:
I wanna '68 fastback hemi 'Cuda that Transforms by raising to 10" ground
clearance so I can take it off road while deer hunting.
Why don't you just get a halftrack and be done with it? Sports Car
Graphic, 40 years or so ago, proposed one to be made by Ferrari. g
Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlttQ-_KNyM

(ohmigod) Yeah, like that.

But if you're saving the deer hide, don't count on any hair being
left.

BTW, I have a friend in England, a motorsports fan, who talked with me
a decade or two ago about how ridiculous some of the motorsports
events were getting in the UK. Keep in mind that he was talking to
someone (me) who lives in the home of demolition derby and figure-8
racing. g

Anyway, there was a drag strip somewhere out here ( CT, I think) that
was running late-night commercials. Their big event was a jet truck
against a little Toyota truck.

But they didn't race down the track. The Toyota was lined up behind
the jet truck, the jet engine was started, and the competition was to
see how long it took for the Toyota to be completely incinerated.

I had to videotape the commercial and send it to him. I don't think he
believed me.

That sounds like Lebanon Valley Dragway type stuff.

'Could be. I don't remember much about it. It was a low-budget
commercial, shot at night. A long-haired guy wearing sunglasses came
on and made his pitch, and then you saw the scene of the jet car's
engine igniting and the Toyota bursting into flames.

Some "motorsport," huh? Jeez. It makes demolition derby look
sophisticated.

--
Ed Huntress

That car search ended up with the purchase of a '57 MG Magnette.

Masochist, huh?

Neat to look at but I remember a succession of cracked valve heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Magnette

Here's the Magnette that I loved -- the K-3. I saw one at a vintage
race about ten years ago and fell in love with it. It really howls
with that little supercharged six.

The red one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_K-type