Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Shelby's new supercar

On Sat, 18 May 2013 15:27:44 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 May 2013 14:01:44 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Hey, there must be some metal in there somewhere! But it's mostly a
pile of carbon fiber.

This is what the people at Shelby SuperCars have done with Shel's
Cobra legacy. They're building another car with a reptile's name
(Tuatara, an ugly beast -- the lizard, not the car, which is very
cool).

Think of it as the anti-EA, anti-whoyakidding, screw-you-everybody
vehicle.

Well, "anti-" in diff. senses, of course....

You guys are arguing about automobile economy while this Shelby dude
is building megamillion supercars with 1350 horsepower, probably
getting worse milage than a loaded dump truck going up a hill, and all
I could think about was your...disagreement. g

Anti-EA is, as you allude, bigdick hp....
Anti-Kidding is, well, anything that makes engineering sense, like, well,
superfluous multi-planetary gears in a $1+++ BIL """green""" science
project....

Ahhh, but hypocrisy is a glorious thing.
The FIRST thing I do in any car review is check out the hp.....
LOL!!!!!!

Hennesey motors can take any 300-400 hp car, and give it back to you with
1,000-2,000 hp.
Preferably 'vettes.

The mileage probably sucks. It only weighs 2750 pounds, but
it has (be still, my heart) 1.350 hp and produces 1,280 lb-ft. of
torque. They're actually fudging the horsepower, just like the Big
Three did with their 7-liter engines back in the '60s, to avoid
Congress's attention. The Tuatara engine actually can produce 1,700
hp.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds, theoretical top speed is 276 mph. No word yet of
a plug-in hybrid version...

http://tinyurl.com/b4ohmju

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're
crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody
must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

Somebody had to kick Veyron's ass.

I wonder, after you've poked the throttle a few times and blasted up
to 250 mph without killing yourself (problematic, at that), what you
do with the car next? Sell it?

Keep it in a 50 car garage, like Jay Leno, drive it once a year.

I wish they'd make these cars look like fukn CARS..... these things remind
me of the Aptera, ferchrissakes....
How bout a '70s vintage Plymouth Gran Fury or Dodge Charger or MonteCarlo
with 1700 hp??

You're stuck in the past, EA. Not that I'm not g.

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it
unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

--
Ed Huntress