Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Hams here?

Ive been doing the online tests for the Technician exam. Of the 6
times Ive taken the sample exams...I passed it 5 times. Of the 4 times
Ive taken the online sample General exam..Ive passed it twice.

This without any study.

I was a ham nearly 40 yrs ago..and we didnt have FM or packet radio
etc etc and there was a CW portion (Thank Crom its gone!)

I picked up a Kenwood TS-530SE transiever in the last load of Stuff
from that mini-storage clean out along with a couple boxes of other
radio Stuff. The radio turns on..and gives me a hiss out of the
onboard speaker..but I dont get any signals on the old long wire
antenna Ive got up..so there are Issues. Ive downloaded the
schematics..gonna make me think and at my age...relearning board
repair is gonna really hurt. Got all the gear for checking it out
though..Tektronics scope, Tektronics freq counter, Tektronics VOM etc
etc...mil surp RF generator...all the proper Stuff. Everything except
a dummy load.

Anyone got a 50 ohm, 100 watt dummy load collecting dust I can
swap/trade for?

Btw..Im up to my ass in scopes if anybody needs a couple or 3. I
think Ive got 5-6 up on the shelf and I certainly dont need that many.
One for the service truck, one for the bench, a spare and Im good.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

I was a ham nearly 40 yrs ago..and we didnt have FM or packet radio
etc etc and there was a CW portion (Thank Crom its gone!)

de WA4ZEG (inactive)

CW still ought to be required.
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

Anyone got a 50 ohm, 100 watt dummy load collecting dust I can
swap/trade for?

An incandescent lamp isn't perfect, but works.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

AD7PI

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:44:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

I was a ham nearly 40 yrs ago..and we didnt have FM or packet radio
etc etc and there was a CW portion (Thank Crom its gone!)

de WA4ZEG (inactive)

CW still ought to be required.
Lloyd

I struggled damned hard with CW. I really had a hard time with it. The
fellow who did my test for General..I truely believe gave me brownie
points to pass the code part of the exam. In fact..I didnt have a
General, but a Conditional, as I was 250 miles away from a regular
testing place as I recall so was given the exam by one of the Old
Farts who worked with me on theory etc etc.

I was really into RTTY when I got my ticket. Cant be much of that
anymore. Not with a Mod 15 printer and rolls of paper G

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:46:12 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

Anyone got a 50 ohm, 100 watt dummy load collecting dust I can
swap/trade for?

An incandescent lamp isn't perfect, but works.

Lloyd

And it wont radiate RF?

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 06:44:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

AD7PI

Dan

Cool !!!

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2013 12:01 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:46:12 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Anyone got a 50 ohm, 100 watt dummy load collecting dust I can
swap/trade for?

An incandescent lamp isn't perfect, but works.

Lloyd

And it wont radiate RF?

Antenna isn't quite tuned up right.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

And it wont radiate RF?

Some, but you can put it in a bucket of shielding to stop that (mostly).
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2013 3:30 AM, Gunner wrote:
[...]

Sure, KD7HB.
And I just passed the amateur extra test in November at age 73, so you
can sure do it!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:00:49 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:44:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
m:

I was a ham nearly 40 yrs ago..and we didnt have FM or packet radio
etc etc and there was a CW portion (Thank Crom its gone!)

de WA4ZEG (inactive)

CW still ought to be required.
Lloyd

I struggled damned hard with CW. I really had a hard time with it. The
fellow who did my test for General..I truely believe gave me brownie
points to pass the code part of the exam. In fact..I didnt have a
General, but a Conditional, as I was 250 miles away from a regular
testing place as I recall so was given the exam by one of the Old
Farts who worked with me on theory etc etc.

I was really into RTTY when I got my ticket. Cant be much of that
anymore. Not with a Mod 15 printer and rolls of paper G

The closest I can come to that is remembering that I used a 300 baud
modem when I started computing. I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I recently bought a BaoFeng UV-5R portable radio and am in the process
of learning about HAM. A buddy is going to help. (Terry, the same
guy in San Marcos to whom I referred you years ago, who's doing the
automating of some small SoCal manufacturing firms.) Anyway, until I
take the Technician's test, I'm in listening and learning mode.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:30:24 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

And it wont radiate RF?

Some, but you can put it in a bucket of shielding to stop that (mostly).
Lloyd

and that bucket of sheilding would be?

Now you may understand why I want a real honest to goodness dummy
load.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

and that bucket of sheilding would be?

Now you may understand why I want a real honest to goodness dummy
load.

Aw, C'mon Gunner! You 'passed' the test, right? You know what a Faraday
cage is, right?

Put it all in a steel bucket with some grounding straps for the lid to
bond to the body, and leave a little hole so you can see the lamp glow as
you load into it!

Passed? Have they not included the basics, anymore?
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:30:24 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
m:

And it wont radiate RF?

Some, but you can put it in a bucket of shielding to stop that
(mostly).
Lloyd

and that bucket of sheilding would be?

Now you may understand why I want a real honest to goodness dummy
load.

Gunner

Traditionally it's a gallon paint can, with the RF connector in the
center of the lid. The oil-filled Heathkit 'cantenna' was good for a
kilowatt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cantenna.JPG

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/20/2013 11:23 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I still have a couple of them; first one was a Toshiba. I remember the
manual (which I still have around here somewhere) went into great detail
referring to the various escape codes that could be used to manually
operate the printer over a serial/parallel interface, from printing
actual letters to just pushing one pin out.

They don't do stuff like that anymore.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 2:55*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner fired this volley :

and that bucket of sheilding would be?

Now you may understand why I want a real honest to goodness dummy
load.

Aw, C'mon Gunner! *You 'passed' the test, right? *You know what a Faraday
cage is, right?

Put it all in a steel bucket with some grounding straps for the lid to
bond to the body, and leave a little hole so you can see the lamp glow as
you load into it!

Passed? *Have they not included the basics, anymore?
Lloyd

http://hamcall.net/call/WA1ZVS%3A1983
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 3:00*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:30:24 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
m:

And it wont radiate RF?

Some, but you can put it in a bucket of shielding to stop that
(mostly).
Lloyd

and that bucket of sheilding would be?

Now you may understand why I want a real honest to goodness dummy
load.

Gunner

Traditionally it's a gallon paint can, with the RF connector in the
center of the lid. The oil-filled Heathkit 'cantenna' was good for a
kilowatt.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cantenna.JPG

jsw

Built many Griefkits. Remember going from a HW101 to a Kenwood TS-520
to a Signal/One CX7B. The Kenwood TS-520 looked pretty but wasn't a
very good receiver especially for contesting or working weak DX. The
Signal/One kicked ass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 3:47*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:00*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

This is what a Signal/One looked like:

http://www.hug-a-bug.com/CX7d.jpg

Really nice piece of equipment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 03/20/2013 11:23 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I still have a couple of them; first one was a Toshiba. I remember
the manual (which I still have around here somewhere) went into
great detail referring to the various escape codes that could be
used to manually operate the printer over a serial/parallel
interface, from printing actual letters to just pushing one pin out.

They don't do stuff like that anymore.

Jon

In the mid 80's I worked on the dot matrix inventors' next project, a
four color ink jet printer that could build up a 3D image from its
molten plastic ink.
http://dots.physics.orst.edu/tactile/node9.html

http://www.ballisticfluid.com/aboutUS.html
"It wasn't long before someone had the idea to build three dimensional
(3D) models using the same idea."

The idea was obvious to us from the ink stalagmites that accumulated
on test stands and prototypes, but for several reasons that machine
was very restricted in the height it could build up -accurately- and
we were too busy trying to make it reliable to waste effort on most of
the crazy things we knew the plastic-spraying ink jets could do. Plus
the ink had a low melting point and poor properties other than looking
good on the page.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 3:55*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:47*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

On Mar 20, 3:00*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Think this guy was part of the genius behind Signal/One. I always
wanted one of his amplifiers but could never afford it. Back then
(late 70's) they were known to be the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZcuW7fb2U
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-20, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:00:49 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

[ ... ]

I was really into RTTY when I got my ticket. Cant be much of that
anymore. Not with a Mod 15 printer and rolls of paper G

I seem to remember that there were programs for the cheap
appliance computers (e.g. the Commodore VIC-20 or something like that)
which would display and send RTTY when connected to a receiver and
transmitter. A lot more portable (and quieter) than a Mod-15. :-)

The closest I can come to that is remembering that I used a 300 baud
modem when I started computing. I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I certainly remember them -- various speeds and sizes of them,
too. ;_)

I recently bought a BaoFeng UV-5R portable radio and am in the process
of learning about HAM. A buddy is going to help. (Terry, the same
guy in San Marcos to whom I referred you years ago, who's doing the
automating of some small SoCal manufacturing firms.) Anyway, until I
take the Technician's test, I'm in listening and learning mode.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner fired this volley in
:

Anyone got a 50 ohm, 100 watt dummy load collecting dust I can
swap/trade for?

An incandescent lamp isn't perfect, but works.

Even better -- mount it in a gallon paint can, with a good RF
connector in the lid -- and oil inside to carry the heat from the lamp
to the walls of the can for cooling.

The higher the frequency, the more that lamp will differ from
the proper impedance -- with all those little curly Tungsten wires as
the filament. But the can will at least keep the RF from radiating.
The main risk with a poor impedance match would be damage to the final
of the transmitter.

Anyone ever have a Heathkit "Cantenna"? Was it an array of
carbon resistors in oil, or an incandescent lamp? The former would be
more constant impedance, at least.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 9:50*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * I seem to remember that there were programs for the cheap
appliance computers (e.g. the Commodore VIC-20 or something like that)
which would display and send RTTY when connected to a receiver and
transmitter. *A lot more portable (and quieter) than a Mod-15. :-)

There are programs to use a PC to send and receive morse code that are
freeware. There is also hardware with a microprocessor that decode
morse code for about $30 from China.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 7:16*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 20, 9:50*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * I seem to remember that there were programs for the cheap
appliance computers (e.g. the Commodore VIC-20 or something like that)
which would display and send RTTY when connected to a receiver and
transmitter. *A lot more portable (and quieter) than a Mod-15. :-)

There are programs to use a PC to send and receive morse code that are
freeware. *There is also hardware with a microprocessor that decode
morse code for about $30 from China.

Dan

What's wrong with developing the skill? I enjoyed doing so. I remember
taking Morse code practice from W1AW (ARRL) so I could pass the FCC
Amateur radio tests.

What I didn't enjoy was all the old men who had nothing to say and
mostly talked about the weather. DXing, contesting and ****ing of the
FCC was far more fun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:05:03 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 03/20/2013 11:23 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I still have a couple of them; first one was a Toshiba. I remember the
manual (which I still have around here somewhere) went into great detail
referring to the various escape codes that could be used to manually
operate the printer over a serial/parallel interface, from printing
actual letters to just pushing one pin out.

They don't do stuff like that anymore.

Hell, even the simple printers nowadays have more power than main
computers did way back then.

I ordered a $59 pack of 4 toner bottles/chips to rebuild my Samsung
CLP-600N color laser cartridges. I much prefer its output to my old
dot matrix. It's also somewhat quieter and faster. g

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:30:24 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

And it wont radiate RF?

Some, but you can put it in a bucket of shielding to stop that (mostly).
Lloyd

and that bucket of sheilding would be?

Now you may understand why I want a real honest to goodness dummy
load.

Gunner

1. Lie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5F1jUFySM
Scale it up as needed.
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21 Mar 2013 01:50:12 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-03-20, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:00:49 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

[ ... ]

I was really into RTTY when I got my ticket. Cant be much of that
anymore. Not with a Mod 15 printer and rolls of paper G

I seem to remember that there were programs for the cheap
appliance computers (e.g. the Commodore VIC-20 or something like that)
which would display and send RTTY when connected to a receiver and
transmitter. A lot more portable (and quieter) than a Mod-15. :-)

Indeed. And didnt need a polar relay. G

The closest I can come to that is remembering that I used a 300 baud
modem when I started computing. I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I certainly remember them -- various speeds and sizes of them,
too. ;_)

I recently bought a BaoFeng UV-5R portable radio and am in the process
of learning about HAM. A buddy is going to help. (Terry, the same
guy in San Marcos to whom I referred you years ago, who's doing the
automating of some small SoCal manufacturing firms.) Anyway, until I
take the Technician's test, I'm in listening and learning mode.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:16:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 20, 9:50*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * I seem to remember that there were programs for the cheap
appliance computers (e.g. the Commodore VIC-20 or something like that)
which would display and send RTTY when connected to a receiver and
transmitter. *A lot more portable (and quieter) than a Mod-15. :-)

There are programs to use a PC to send and receive morse code that are
freeware. There is also hardware with a microprocessor that decode
morse code for about $30 from China.

Dan

Cool! Got a link?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Even better -- mount it in a gallon paint can, with a good RF
connector in the lid -- and oil inside to carry the heat from the lamp
to the walls of the can for cooling.

You're about two days late with that suggestion, Don G.

Remember the Heath "CanTenna"?

At up to 10M, the light bulb works as an OK load, if not completely
'tunable' Add one small air-wound coil and a few puffs of capacitance,
and it can tune darned well.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:kie5ie$j23$1
@dont-email.me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5F1jUFySM

'course, with all those old gouging rods he has lying around unused, he
could make a _real_ carbon-pile dummy load...

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 06:08:37 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:kie5ie$j23$1
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5F1jUFySM

'course, with all those old gouging rods he has lying around unused, he
could make a _real_ carbon-pile dummy load...

Lloyd

I do have about 40 lbs of carbon gouging rods. Bit hard to solder them
together though. Could make a couple plates with holes and set
screws though...G

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 2:26*am, Gunner wrote:

Cool! *Got a link?

Gunner

Google on morse code decoder. Here is one link I found.

http://download.cnet.com/CW-Decoder/...-75325058.html

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 06:46:38 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 06:08:37 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:kie5ie$j23$1
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5F1jUFySM

'course, with all those old gouging rods he has lying around unused, he
could make a _real_ carbon-pile dummy load...

Lloyd

I do have about 40 lbs of carbon gouging rods. Bit hard to solder them
together though. Could make a couple plates with holes and set
screws though...G

The old ARRL Handbooks had information on dummy loads. IIRC, they
included instructions on making them.

Most public libraries have copies of old Handbooks. You'll find lots
of useful things in those that's just skipped over today.

--
Ed Huntress
KC2NZT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

Bit hard to solder them
together though.

'bit useless, too. Think about it. IF not all, then most of the copper
cladding would have to be removed...

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Gunner fired this volley in
:

Bit hard to solder them
together though.

'bit useless, too. Think about it. IF not all, then most of the
copper
cladding would have to be removed...

Lloyd

That's an easy lathe job and you could pause to measure the increasing
DC resistance.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:kif5c6$cbf
:

That's an easy lathe job and you could pause to measure the increasing
DC resistance.

Yeah, I didn't say it would be hard, just necessary.
And soldering straps to the cladding would be easy, not "hard".

Mounting would have to be compliant, to accommodate expansion. I think
clamping one end, and leaving the other end 'flying' would be best.
Braid for connex.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 9:46*am, Gunner wrote:

I do have about 40 lbs of carbon gouging rods. Bit hard to solder them
together though. *Could make a *couple plates with holes and set
screws though...G

Take a look at http://www.k4eaa.com/dummy.html

The Heathkit dummy load was good for a kilowatt for a limited time,
but you probably do not need a dummy load for that much power.

You might be able to use one of your carbon gouging rods, but would
need to take off the copper except at the ends and probably drill a
hole thru the center to raise the resistance. That would also help
with skin effect. Might be fun to try.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I haven't taken a ham test in 40 years, but, as I recall, it's a lot
like a driver's license test. Not much about whether you can drive
a car, but mostly about knowing the rules.

The electronics is trivial for anybody with any experience at all.
But it's useful to practice the questions so you can interpret what they
really ask.

As for the dummy load, what are you gonna do with it.
If all you want to do is see power, a light bulb works fine.
If your emissions are in the band and used under the terms of
your license, you're good to go. Just pick a dead spot in the band
and keep it short.

The complexity goes up from there. Go to any ham swap meet and you'll
probably find a boatload of dummy loads for sale. Just take the meter
and
check the resistance. Hams are people... and people can't be trusted
to tell you that it's blown.

There are zillions of nice resistors mounted on big heat sinks used
as circulator loads and in cellular base stations. Those show up
at swap meets in the 100W range for $15 or so. Nice, small, no oil,
excellent high frequency characteristics. But take the meter.

Ham radio is just like any hobby. If you're impatient, you'll spend
a lot of money. If you troll the swap meets and garage sales, you
can pick up most stuff dirt cheap. Be patient. Go to ham club meetings.

Ham radio is mostly dead for reasons stated elsewhere in the thread.
Every damn QSO is about the weather, the rig, then nothing left to
talk about. Interweb news groups are much more entertaining these days.

You'll have more fun talking to locals on the uhf frequencies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mar 20, 9:50 pm, "DoN. wrote:

I seem to remember that there were programs for the cheap
appliance computers (e.g. the Commodore VIC-20 or something like that)
which would display and send RTTY when connected to a receiver and
transmitter. A lot more portable (and quieter) than a Mod-15. :-)

There are programs to use a PC to send and receive morse code that are
freeware. There is also hardware with a microprocessor that decode
morse code for about $30 from China.

Dan

Cool! Got a link?

If you have an old windows PDA or phone, this is a nice program
http://www.n0hr.com/PocketDigi/PocketDigi_intro.htm
You can set it next to the speaker and it copies a bunch of modes.
Can send too, but it's a little flakey without a direct wired
cable to the rig.