Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Hams here?

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:28:19 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 00:17:01 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:27:27 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 02:51:54 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

On 2013-03-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner fired this volley in
:

Anyone got a 50 ohm, 100 watt dummy load collecting dust I can
swap/trade for?
An incandescent lamp isn't perfect, but works.
Even better -- mount it in a gallon paint can, with a good RF
connector in the lid -- and oil inside to carry the heat from the lamp
to the walls of the can for cooling.

The higher the frequency, the more that lamp will differ from
the proper impedance -- with all those little curly Tungsten wires as
the filament. But the can will at least keep the RF from radiating.
The main risk with a poor impedance match would be damage to the final
of the transmitter.

Anyone ever have a Heathkit "Cantenna"? Was it an array of
carbon resistors in oil, or an incandescent lamp? The former would be
more constant impedance, at least.

Don, they used a 200 watt 50 ohm carborundum non-inductive oil
treated resistor immersed in transformer oil.
http://www.orcadxcc.org/content/cantenna_va7jw.pdf
Can anyone suggest an inexpensive radio for Technician class?

Ive been told that the Icom 706, the Yaesu 817 and 857s would fit my
needs..but they are more ..in some cases...far far more expensive than
I can afford this year.

The TS-520SE that I have has some "issues" that Im going to need to
resolve over time, as Im not a board level radio tech and its going to
be a learning experience...shrug

What kinds of issues?
It turns on, the controls work, I have a hissing sound from the
speaker and it receives a signal from my signal generator. But even on
a long wire antenna..no outside signals make it in. Ive got to pump up
the output of the old signal generator to hear it or have it show on
the meter.

Do you have a manual with the schematic?

No. Im searching for one now. There are a number of TS-520
manuals..but the SE version..the last version before they phased out
that model is no where to be found. I did download an operators manual
for the TS-520...but I need to sit down with the radio and learn
everything and then ask what differences there are between it and the
SE version.

Id love to put a freq counter on it..but one just went on Ebay for
$150. There is a 2 pin female on the backside for a display..but I
dont know what it requires to run/operate. Im sure something could be
bread boarded up quite simply, but..Im not an electronics tech. I just
kinda swerve into that area now and then fixing CNC machines etc.
Mostly though..simply a board changer. Its been a lot of years since
I chased electrons around..and then it was usually in and out of tubes

Look on the rear on the radio. You should find a 9 pin socket for the external VFO
If it doesn't have the shorting plug you wont have receive. If no plug you need to install
a jumper across pins 8&9.

Ah!! There are two multipin sockets back there, a big and a small
one. There is a plug with (2) wires in the big one, nothing in the
small one. Ill check it out!!

Sent you a link to a partial service manual.

Many thanks!!

The SE was the same as the 520 S Except Kenwood pulled the transverter section and the 12
volt power inputs. They cleaned up the boards some and added a wide/narrow CW filter.

? Im fairly certain this has 12vt input connector. Ill have to
recheck.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! Got signal input now! Still pretty weak, but I could pick up
some RTTY and some code. Now I need to get the long wire up!

Thanks!!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 01:12:16 -0700

Ayup, I may do just that. I did have a Conditional..way the **** back
when in the late 1960s..but I let it lapse almost 50 yrs ago. Blink
blink...why do I suddenly feel....really old....? Brrrrr

Any time you say "now this happened about N (where N is in the
sequence 20, 30 , 40, ...) years ago.." and you stop and realized
"Hell fire, it was N years ago!"

As my Dad said "Fifty nine's not a bad age, but sixty just sounds
old!"
Course, he said something similar when he was sixty nine. And
Seventy nine. I'll have to say it for him, this year.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich