Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Hams here?

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:00:49 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:44:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
m:

I was a ham nearly 40 yrs ago..and we didnt have FM or packet radio
etc etc and there was a CW portion (Thank Crom its gone!)

de WA4ZEG (inactive)

CW still ought to be required.
Lloyd

I struggled damned hard with CW. I really had a hard time with it. The
fellow who did my test for General..I truely believe gave me brownie
points to pass the code part of the exam. In fact..I didnt have a
General, but a Conditional, as I was 250 miles away from a regular
testing place as I recall so was given the exam by one of the Old
Farts who worked with me on theory etc etc.

I was really into RTTY when I got my ticket. Cant be much of that
anymore. Not with a Mod 15 printer and rolls of paper G

The closest I can come to that is remembering that I used a 300 baud
modem when I started computing. I remember dot matrix printers, too.
(I'll bet half the folks alive now don't.)

I recently bought a BaoFeng UV-5R portable radio and am in the process
of learning about HAM. A buddy is going to help. (Terry, the same
guy in San Marcos to whom I referred you years ago, who's doing the
automating of some small SoCal manufacturing firms.) Anyway, until I
take the Technician's test, I'm in listening and learning mode.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle