Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kindling maker

Gunner on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:32:53 -0800 typed
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 08:13:07 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

Ayup! Dad was big into road rallies (Jag XKe) but he loved both the
little Renault and the VW for winter rallies. Lots of fun to be had
on the lakes in Northern Michigan in the winter. Course..you had to
bring out the snow plows a lot of the time just to find the
ice...shrug

In the 70's before front and four wheel drive were common an ice storm
would close the roads to traffic and the police, and open them for
play to the Beetles, Rabbits and Saabs with studded tires, and my
buddy and I on dirt bikes. I stopped driving down snowmobile trails
after they complained they couldn't steer because of the VW and bike
tire ruts.

Ayup! And you really could get some distance with that flat underbody
of the VW...nothing sticking out except for the 4 wheels. and when
you hit a snow drift..they would plane like a toboggan.

In the book Small Wonder - the author writes of coming over - I
want to say Brenner Pass - from Austria- the only thing on the road
was him in his Bug. And just like you said - up and over the drifts.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 09 Jan 2013
17:30:59 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Has a human ever sunk four sets of claws into you while you were
alseep?

Two sets, and occasionally cold hands or feet!

Did you kick her out of bed?

I may on occasion pass for crazy, but I'm not that kind of crazy.
Or stupid.
There was that winter when ... well never mind.

When they told you you were out of you mind & gave you that nice
white coat with extra long sleeves. Then it took you nine months to chew
through the restraints. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 23 Jan 2013
19:49:33 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Has a human ever sunk four sets of claws into you while you were
alseep?

Two sets, and occasionally cold hands or feet!

Did you kick her out of bed?

I may on occasion pass for crazy, but I'm not that kind of crazy.
Or stupid.
There was that winter when ... well never mind.

When they told you you were out of you mind & gave you that nice
white coat with extra long sleeves. Then it took you nine months to chew
through the restraints. ;-)

Ah yes. My junior year at university Probably the happiest
three years in my life.

But it was over the summer, and as the Hospital had Air
Conditioning, so it wasn't all bad. And I was able to get out in time
to start classes. Maybe not the best thing ...

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Has a human ever sunk four sets of claws into you while you were
alseep?

Two sets, and occasionally cold hands or feet!

Did you kick her out of bed?

I may on occasion pass for crazy, but I'm not that kind of crazy.
Or stupid.
There was that winter when ... well never mind.

When they told you you were out of you mind & gave you that nice
white coat with extra long sleeves. Then it took you nine months to chew
through the restraints. ;-)

Ah yes. My junior year at university Probably the happiest
three years in my life.

But it was over the summer, and as the Hospital had Air
Conditioning, so it wasn't all bad. And I was able to get out in time
to start classes. Maybe not the best thing ...

....to have those long sleeves dragging the ground... ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 25 Jan 2013
22:31:10 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Has a human ever sunk four sets of claws into you while you were
alseep?

Two sets, and occasionally cold hands or feet!

Did you kick her out of bed?

I may on occasion pass for crazy, but I'm not that kind of crazy.
Or stupid.
There was that winter when ... well never mind.

When they told you you were out of you mind & gave you that nice
white coat with extra long sleeves. Then it took you nine months to chew
through the restraints. ;-)

Ah yes. My junior year at university Probably the happiest
three years in my life.

But it was over the summer, and as the Hospital had Air
Conditioning, so it wasn't all bad. And I was able to get out in time
to start classes. Maybe not the best thing ...

...to have those long sleeves dragging the ground... ;-)

Yeah, knotted them up and they served as a great place to carry
extra beers.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

How do you get them out of the sleeves?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 28 Jan 2013
15:00:25 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

With my hands, of course.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker. When I split logs, I split

some about 1? thick, kind of like planks. But I don't like using a hatchet,

knowing me and the laws of probability will probably get me the nickname of

Stumpy eventually.

Anyone see or could suggest a model for just splitting off small kindling

sized pieces of wood? I was thinking of making a hand model like the old

beer can piercers of the 1950's with a lever and a wedge, putting the piece

of wood close to the attachment point of the lever, where there's the most

leverage. Or make a hatchet that would have a bolt through the end of the

handle, and just drop onto the end of a standing piece of wood to cut off a

small slice.

Looking for something slightly automated, as carpal tunnel getting real bad.

Steve

Hey Steve,
After about 20 prototypes I think I have what you are looking for.
Visit www.thekindlingmaker.com No more swinging an ax or hatchet. It is also portable so good for taking camping.

Charles "Chic" Tyson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker.

Steve,
Check out www.thekindlingmaker.com
Somewhat automated but works real easy. It is also potable so you can take it camping.

Charles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker.

Steve check out www.thekindlingmaker.com I think this would work great for you

Charles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 06:33:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker.

Steve,
Check out
www.thekindlingmaker.com
Somewhat automated but works real easy. It is also potable so you can take it camping.

Charles

And does it crush beer cans too?

Thats actually very cool.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker.

Steve,
Check out
www.thekindlingmaker.com
Somewhat automated but works real easy. It is also potable so you can take it camping.

Charles

And does it crush beer cans too?

My can crusher is an old ten pound hammer that I use on pop cans; the
first drop, the hammer bounces provided my aim is good (due to trapped
air). I really want to drill the hndle and install a steam whistle.
After the second drop, the can is about 1/4" thick top to bottom. As
far as splitting kindling - lay a piece of dry cedar down and hit it
with my old ten pounder and touch a match to the remains and fire
happens.

Thats actually very cool.

Gunner

---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker.

Steve,
Check out
www.thekindlingmaker.com
Somewhat automated but works real easy. It is also potable so you can take it camping.

Do you think he sells any of those? I'd be willing to bet that 100
(1,000?) are made by DIYers for every one he sells at ninety bucks.

And does it crush beer cans too?

My can crusher is an old ten pound hammer that I use on pop cans; the
first drop, the hammer bounces provided my aim is good (due to trapped
air). I really want to drill the hndle and install a steam whistle.
After the second drop, the can is about 1/4" thick top to bottom. As
far as splitting kindling - lay a piece of dry cedar down and hit it
with my old ten pounder and touch a match to the remains and fire
happens.

Replacing all those #10 hammers must be expensive. Do they burn well?
BTW, that sounds like too much work.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:56:55 AM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hand operated kindling maker.

Steve,
Check out
www.thekindlingmaker.com
Somewhat automated but works real easy. It is also potable so you can take it camping.

http://www.gizmag.com/mr-quicksplit-...g-maker/25385/
The Canuck version at only $150. thud

Hmm, $10 worth of flat iron/u-channel/nuts/bolts, half an hour's work,
a little paint, and Robert's your Father's Brother.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
-- Anna Quindlen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I once set up a 50 ton punch press with two flat steel surfaces and used
it to crush pop cans. They came out 1/16" thick. I was afraid of
breaking something if I set it thinner.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

Hey Steve,
After about 20 prototypes I think I have what you are looking for.
Visit
www.thekindlingmaker.com No more swinging an ax or hatchet. It is also portable so good for taking camping.

Charles "Chic" Tyson

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=1,41131
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 08:00:21 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hey Steve,
After about 20 prototypes I think I have what you are looking for.
Visit www.thekindlingmaker.com No more swinging an ax or hatchet. It is also portable so good for taking camping.

Charles "Chic" Tyson

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=1,41131

On the other hand, that girl who was traveling to Alaska could opt for
an axe and have, not only a useful defense device, but also a device
to make kindling and, if she gets a single bitted axe, she can also
drive nails, spikes and smash drink cans.

A multi-purpose device.
--
Cheers,

John B.

GE Ice-maker? Davej Home Repair 17 March 20th 12 01:31 AM
storage of kindling mm Home Repair 6 July 26th 08 07:18 AM
How to Cut Kindling? Davy UK diy 39 February 7th 08 09:48 AM
Ice maker Stacia Home Repair 10 August 7th 07 09:54 AM
Kindling for the Fire Watson A.Name - Watt Sun Electronics Repair 119 October 24th 03 07:55 PM