Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default storage of kindling

My HOA is at it again, and I think they want me to do something about
my kindling. How is it supposed to be stored?

I think theym, actually she, wants me to throw it away but I haven't
been able to get a straight answer.

It's not all straight and parallel, and stacked up one or more of the
HOA board think it has room for rats to nest. I suppose so, but I
don't have any, have never had any.

I've broken some pieces in two where they bend and it stacks better
that way.

I haven't really seen people storing kindling -- Do people do that --
but for the first time I have a big supply and I enjoy it and want to
save it for fires.

Part of a tree on public land fell down last summer on to my property,
and I cut it up, and I'm happy to have the wood. This spring I burned
about half of the kindling and half of the wood in my fireplace. I
wanted to burn 2/3rds of what's left and the burn the rest over a
longer period of time.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
My HOA is at it again, and I think they want me to do something about
my kindling. How is it supposed to be stored?

I think theym, actually she, wants me to throw it away but I haven't
been able to get a straight answer.

Best advice I have is to move to a place with no HOA. You can stack the
kindling in a trash can that is covered.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:14:42 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
My HOA is at it again, and I think they want me to do something about
my kindling. How is it supposed to be stored?

I think theym, actually she, wants me to throw it away but I haven't
been able to get a straight answer.

Best advice I have is to move to a place with no HOA. You can stack the
kindling in a trash can that is covered.

Thanks to; you and Patrick. The trash can is a very good idea. I was
still thinking of those Rubbermaid storage boxes. I have several
imitation but the trash can is excellent, and I have at least 2 spare
ones.

The president has managed to go for a month without telling me what
the complaints are about, but I think I'll know by the end of the
weekend. Probably the kindling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:07:51 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:14:42 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
My HOA is at it again, and I think they want me to do something about
my kindling. How is it supposed to be stored?

I think theym, actually she, wants me to throw it away but I haven't
been able to get a straight answer.

Best advice I have is to move to a place with no HOA. You can stack the
kindling in a trash can that is covered.

Thanks to; you and Patrick. The trash can is a very good idea. I was
still thinking of those Rubbermaid storage boxes.

My point was that I can be pretty stupid. And thanks for the firewood
answer too.

I have several
imitation but the trash can is excellent, and I have at least 2 spare
ones.

The president has managed to go for a month without telling me what
the complaints are about, but I think I'll know by the end of the
weekend. Probably the kindling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:14:42 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
My HOA is at it again, and I think they want me to do something about
my kindling. How is it supposed to be stored?

I think theym, actually she, wants me to throw it away but I haven't
been able to get a straight answer.

Best advice I have is to move to a place with no HOA. You can stack the
kindling in a trash can that is covered.

Thanks to; you and Patrick. The trash can is a very good idea. I was
still thinking of those Rubbermaid storage boxes. I have several
imitation but the trash can is excellent, and I have at least 2 spare
ones.

The president has managed to go for a month without telling me what
the complaints are about, but I think I'll know by the end of the
weekend. Probably the kindling.

So are the stacks of lawnmowers and other sheets of plywood gone?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:41:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:14:42 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
My HOA is at it again, and I think they want me to do something about
my kindling. How is it supposed to be stored?

I think theym, actually she, wants me to throw it away but I haven't
been able to get a straight answer.

Best advice I have is to move to a place with no HOA. You can stack the
kindling in a trash can that is covered.

Thanks to; you and Patrick. The trash can is a very good idea. I was
still thinking of those Rubbermaid storage boxes. I have several
imitation but the trash can is excellent, and I have at least 2 spare
ones.

The president has managed to go for a month without telling me what
the complaints are about, but I think I'll know by the end of the
weekend. Probably the kindling.

So are the stacks of lawnmowers and other sheets of plywood gone?

LOL. Very good memory. No. What will happen about that and
everything remains to be seen. I did remove the blue tarp that
protected the top layer of 2 mowers, because the county said rats
could nest there, even though they never have. The bottom layer was
never protected. But I also removed another tarp that revealed
still another lawnmower.

OTOH, my mower stopped working, and I pulled out 3 of the stored ones,
and the third one started right up. That's why I was saving them.
The other two I tried to fix and failed, but I didn't try very hard
because I had one that was working. I put back in storage.

One didn't show any sign of life, so I may give it to an old man 8
blocks away who fixes them in his driveway. I bought one from him
once. It worked for a year and then I coudln't make it work so I gave
it back to him for free. But I'm not giving him this one yet. I'm
keeping it as a bargaining chip when they try to get me to throw
things away.

One board member, admittedly a friend of mine, came by when I asked
and said the area with the mowers looked quite neat, and she, who did
architectural walk-throughs for a year or two, would not complain
about it. The only thing she didn't like is the kindling, which is
in the back. I would have cleaned that up a month ago, but I want
them (the presient) to tell me what her complaint is, and not nickle
and dime me.

I walked around the n'hood 5 days ago, and I found several houses with
more stuff than I, including one with several lawnmowers, 3 with
building materials, one with 5 grills. But the others don't have a
neatfreak next door neighbor who smokes all the time and stands by the
4 foot divider between our small front patios and stares at my stuff,
who complained that my bushes were too tall, my tree was too tall, and
didn't agree to my keeping anything except the gas grill, who's scared
of snakes even though I've never even seen one around here.

He probably called the county the same time as he complained to the
HOA, but the county came out, noted a couple things, I did them and
they closed the case**.

The form I got in the mail only had one box checked, called debris and
building materials, and no further explanation. The box about bad
deck was not checked, despite my bad deck. I was only given 11 days
from receipt to do everything. I've left 4 messages asking for
details and gotten 3 messages back with no refernce to my question
except "Look at your yard". No discussion of lawnmowers at the
current time.

Did I mention the president was a constant liar, who has done a lot of
bad things here. But people move in and move out, and others stay but
stay away from aggravation, so she's been president for about 15
years. She recently wanted to use HOA money to buy a camera and a
maybe computer to record her car at night because someone slashed the
tires twice. This is not random crime. It's someone else who doesn't
like her. She polled the board by phone and when I suggest that the
guy probably won't come back, that two times got his anger out of his
system, and How do you know this is because you're president, she got
furious at me and yelled. I think this refusal to tell me what the
complaint is is her retaliation, or maybe its her typical M.O.

**The county complained about the gasoline storage, no details, just
those two words. When I went to their office at the county seat, they
told me if I want to know gas storage standards, ask the fire
department. I went to the nearest fire station, which has a fire
marshall office, and they told me anything designed for gasoline is
fine and they have no other authority over private houses***. So I
have no idea what the county was complaining about.

***Businesses have to have metal gas cans with spring loaded lids, and
the trigger to open the lid is so hard to pull my friend who runs a
ministorage, and is 5'1" can barely pull it, and can't hold it open
long. She fills her golf cart every month or so, and now she has to
ask one of the men who do occasional work at the mini to fill it for
her. She was annoyed that she had to get it, but happy after I
learned the rules and explained them to her.

Sorry, I got carried away. I tried to put the stuff you would most
be interested in first.

Oh yeah. I posted a year ago about buiding an underground room to be
covered by a new 12x12 deck. I sort of gave up the plan but it turns
out a whole string of 8 or 10 houses at the far corner from me almost
all have underground rooms. I'm going to knock on some doors and ask
my neighbors to show how they are made, and if possible who built
them. My room was going to stick two feet out of the ground, even
with my basement and just below the deck's height, but these are all
totally below ground.

How to Cut Kindling? Davy UK diy 39 February 7th 08 09:48 AM
STORAGE BOX J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:31 AM
CD Storage [email protected] Woodworking 16 April 29th 06 11:04 PM
Hex bit storage? Dave O'Heare Woodworking 12 November 18th 04 09:51 PM
Kindling for the Fire Watson A.Name - Watt Sun Electronics Repair 119 October 24th 03 07:55 PM